The Student Room Group

literature or language a level?

(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mrah2004
The a levels I've chosen are psychology, history and literature.

I chose literature because I really enjoyed the subject at GCSE level and like reading/analysing in general (grade 9 in that). I also thought the clear career path for me was teaching literature. Now my interest in teaching is waning so I've been considering other options. One is psycholinguistics and speech therapy, if I come to enjoy psychology. The practical choice is to change literature to language since that is more technical and focused on linguistics. However, even though I know a level lang is different to gcse lang, I still hate language, actually creative writing and non-fiction (despite getting a grade 8) and am worried if I don't like the subject, I won't do well. I am interested in the language variation and development aspects though.

What would you recommend/thoughts/help? And can I have some career recommendations if I were to take my original three AND if I were to change to language? Not including teaching. I don't mind going to university. Thanks :smile:

You can still do speech and language therapy and other variations at degree level with english literature so I would stick with that! You sound similar to me in terms of grades (I got the same in both language and literature) and I also hate the creative writing element to language but love all of english literature. If you enjoy something more you will do better in it and you’ve already proved that with your gcse grades. English literature is an amazing choice and is highly regarded as a facilitating essay subject which strengthens your application to many degrees including politics, law and history. You can go into careers in marketing, media, publishing, the public sector, project management and as you mentioned, teaching! Trust your first instinct 100% English lit is, in my opinion, the best choice for you.

Quick Reply

Latest