The Student Room Group

Third a level??

I have no idea what to put for my third a level. I've currently decided on physics and maths as I want to go to uni so it'll keep my options open as I don't know what career path yet. I've been learning Japanese and would love to do that as a level but none of the colleges/sixth forms in my area do it. Further maths might be useful but I'm only on grade 6 (I'm going into yr11 btw) so it might be too difficult for me. Chemistry could also be an option but it will probably be too much workload. So idk what to pick. Any other suggestions??
Original post by _Robyn_
I have no idea what to put for my third a level. I've currently decided on physics and maths as I want to go to uni so it'll keep my options open as I don't know what career path yet. I've been learning Japanese and would love to do that as a level but none of the colleges/sixth forms in my area do it. Further maths might be useful but I'm only on grade 6 (I'm going into yr11 btw) so it might be too difficult for me. Chemistry could also be an option but it will probably be too much workload. So idk what to pick. Any other suggestions??

I appreciate you say you don't know your career path, but what about uni? What sort of courses would you like to study?
did you do further maths for GCSE?
Further maths is extremely hard. For chemistry if you get a high grade 6 and above I’d say if u put the work in at alevel it’s very manageable.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
I appreciate you say you don't know your career path, but what about uni? What sort of courses would you like to study?

I was thinking maybe physics or something like astrophysics maybe? Tbh I'm not entirely sure. That's why I want to keep my options open for a level
Reply 5
Original post by baccylaureat
did you do further maths for GCSE?

There is no further maths at GCSE at my school I don't think. So no
Every university is different so I suggest looking at potential undergrad degrees and seeing what a levels they want. You said you want to study physics or astrophysics so you’ll definitely need physics and maths. Chemistry and further maths are both really good choices for your chosen degree. However further maths is very difficult and you will need good grades. So there is no point doing it if you don’t think you’ll pass or enjoy it. Chemistry has a lot of content so it may be hard to balance workload with the other two. If you think you’ll enjoy chemistry and are good at organisation then I would say pick chem. another potential 3rd subject is picking your favourite subject. Although if you pick a subject such as English language, someone with further maths could be favoured. Some websites also suggest taking geography as the 3rd subject. If you’ve found some universities and degrees you like the look of type them into the uni guide. This website will show the most popular a levels studied and grade achieved for that particular course :smile: I hope this was somewhat helpful? Good luck with your GCSEs this year

Quick Reply

Latest