tetris179
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve always been a little bit into surfing and am going to Plymouth uni this septemeber! Anyone have any experience at Plymouth? Is surfing a possibility there. Like a club or lessons etc
Angrycatdance
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not sure about clubs etc, but there are apparently great surfing beaches around Plymouth (although not really Plymouth itself).
University of Plymouth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tetris179)
I’ve always been a little bit into surfing and am going to Plymouth uni this septemeber! Anyone have any experience at Plymouth? Is surfing a possibility there. Like a club or lessons etc
Hey tetris179!

Congrats on coming to Plymouth - not too long to wait now :yeah:

So actually in Plymouth city we have Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) which people use to go around in Plymouth Sound and you can take lessons or hire them from a company in Royal William Yard - but because the Sound is enclosed by a breakwater you won't be able to catch any waves unless you travel to one of the many beaches close by.

Cornwall has some of the best beaches in the UK and is world-renowned for its surfing. Some of my mates are really into their surfing and they'll be at the beach nearly every day during the summer! You can probably get to a suitable beach for surfing within 20 minutes of Plymouth by car, but if you wanna go to one of the more famous surfing beaches like Perranporth or Polzeath that could take up to an hour and a half - definitely worth it for a full day out though. (On that note I remember coming down to Cornwall for summer holidays as a kid and that could take 6-8 hours so I forget how great it is to live close by now!!)

We also have surfing and various aquatic related clubs and societies at the UPSU. Check out those links to find out more about what's available! As well as the Union societies there will definitely be a wide range of local instructors or clubs available for you to join as well.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any more queries!

Luke - University of Plymouth
Reddy5001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by tetris179)
There is a surf club at Plymouth Uni who from what I have seen are quite active and they do lessons as well as compete in BUCS. If you are looking for more info or a membership then check out the SU's website as club and society memberships can be purchased there.

In addition to surfing there are other watersports clubs which can be found on the SU's website.

There used to be a stand up paddleboarding club which I was the Health and safety of (SU clubs and societies have a student health and safety officer who does the risk assessments which are then checked by the SU) but they are no longer active although it could be restarted but current students would need to form a committee and be interetsted (I'd recommend talking to the SU for advice on how to do this if interested).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (44)
12.98%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.43%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.7%
I'm finding things difficult (112)
33.04%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.85%

Watched Threads