Chenny1010
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Alkalis release OH- ions when dissolved in water, so when they react with an acid, the H+ ions from the acid bond with the OH- to give water.
Do insoluble bases also release hydroxide ions? If not, what happens when they react with acids to give water?
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Many bases which are described as being insoluble, it often means they are insoluble in water but they will dissolve in acids. If they will not dissolve in acid then I think it is highly unlikely that any reaction will take place.

This may help

https://www.science-revision.co.uk/neutralisation.html
Chenny1010
Rep:
(Original post by scimus63)
Many bases which are described as being insoluble, it often means they are insoluble in water but they will dissolve in acids. If they will not dissolve in acid then I think it is highly unlikely that any reaction will take place.

This may help

https://www.science-revision.co.uk/neutralisation.html
then will the bases release OH- ions when dissolved in the acids?
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
No some insoluble bases such as metal oxides and carbonates do not contain hydroxide ions. Bases do not need to contain hydroxide ions. Alkalis are only a very small subset of bases. Alkalis are simply a set of bases which dissolve in water to form hydroxide ions. You do not need hydroxide ions to neutralise an acid. Oxide ions for example in metal oxides will neutralise, that is react with hydrogen ions present in acids to form water.
Chenny1010
Rep:
(Original post by scimus63)
No some insoluble bases such as metal oxides and carbonates do not contain hydroxide ions. Bases do not need to contain hydroxide ions. Alkalis are only a very small subset of bases. Alkalis are simply a set of bases which dissolve in water to form hydroxide ions. You do not need hydroxide ions to neutralise an acid. Oxide ions for example in metal oxides will neutralise, that is react with hydrogen ions present in acids to form water.
I understand. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads