HOW TO GET A FIRST CLASS in biomedical science or any science degree.

Watch this thread
&respect
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I am going into 2nd year and I need your advice... any type of advice is welcome.
what kind of study techniques did you use? how many hours did you study per day? (I know everyone is different. but I would like to know). Did you also have time for your hobbies? What things you did different from others that allowed you to get better grades? etc.
14hasm
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Hey, I just graduated from pharmacology this year. As you know, pharmacology and biomedical science are biosciences, so hopefully I can help

For study techniques, I didn't write that many notes. For me, they didn't help me much because I felt that I was wasting a lot of time rewriting them (especially because they act like your notes anyways as lecturers use textbooks and journals to write them...so you already had a solid set of notes). My study technique tended to be just repeating the material over and over again, testing myself constantly and seeing if I can 'teach' the material to someones. Then, I would go over past paper questions from my university or just googling quizzes related to the content.

I also practiced writing essays and tried to figure out a format to see how I can hit as many marks as possible. You can get essay titles from the past papers or by emailing your lecturer. Make sure that you plan these essays, write them under timed conditions and then mark them (by emailing them to your lecturer or showing your parents etc.). Read over these essays frequently because you might get an essay in third year which is very similar to one that you have written already.

Also, when I have been given an assignment, I would at least read over the mark scheme/brief and make a start on the same day so work doesn't pile up.

Also, your dissertation forms a large part of third year so make sure that you have a solid idea as to what you want to do for it, plan it accordingly and communicate your plans with your supervisor. If you are disciplined with it and structure it well, then you can get very good marks on this.

Because of COVID, I would study around 3 hours a day in general. But, when it would come to exam time, I would up it to 6-7 hours.

I would say that compared to others, I had a stronger focus on essay writing - that could be my 'edge' if you will

Hope this helps
&respect
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by 14hasm)
Hey, I just graduated from pharmacology this year. As you know, pharmacology and biomedical science are biosciences, so hopefully I can help

For study techniques, I didn't write that many notes. For me, they didn't help me much because I felt that I was wasting a lot of time rewriting them (especially because they act like your notes anyways as lecturers use textbooks and journals to write them...so you already had a solid set of notes). My study technique tended to be just repeating the material over and over again, testing myself constantly and seeing if I can 'teach' the material to someones. Then, I would go over past paper questions from my university or just googling quizzes related to the content.

I also practiced writing essays and tried to figure out a format to see how I can hit as many marks as possible. You can get essay titles from the past papers or by emailing your lecturer. Make sure that you plan these essays, write them under timed conditions and then mark them (by emailing them to your lecturer or showing your parents etc.). Read over these essays frequently because you might get an essay in third year which is very similar to one that you have written already.

Also, when I have been given an assignment, I would at least read over the mark scheme/brief and make a start on the same day so work doesn't pile up.

Also, your dissertation forms a large part of third year so make sure that you have a solid idea as to what you want to do for it, plan it accordingly and communicate your plans with your supervisor. If you are disciplined with it and structure it well, then you can get very good marks on this.

Because of COVID, I would study around 3 hours a day in general. But, when it would come to exam time, I would up it to 6-7 hours.

I would say that compared to others, I had a stronger focus on essay writing - that could be my 'edge' if you will

Hope this helps
thank you so much. I have always thought that notes were a waste of time, I honestly pushed myself to make notes due to peer pressure. SAD i know. But what you just said made me realise that it actually IS useless and a waste of time. So did you just review the lecture slides? or did your lecturers give you coherent notes? Also have you ever had lecturers say that they will not mark your practice essay?
14hasm
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by &respect)
thank you so much. I have always thought that notes were a waste of time, I honestly pushed myself to make notes due to peer pressure. SAD i know. But what you just said made me realise that it actually IS useless and a waste of time. So did you just review the lecture slides? or did your lecturers give you coherent notes? Also have you ever had lecturers say that they will not mark your practice essay?
I reviewed the lecture slides yes and then if I found something difficult I would look that topic up on a textbook or even watch a YouTube video.

My lecturers didn't give notes but they used slides, which are basically notes and yea they were coherent.

The majority of my lecturers did mark my essay and gave me feedback which was lucky but during COVID, only one of them did not soo usually they will
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (40)
31.75%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (58)
46.03%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
21.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.79%

Watched Threads