The Student Room Group

MSc Aerospace Eng vs Space Systems Engineering

Hi all,

I'm currently holding unconditional offers unis for a 1 year MSc at two different unis. They are:

Glasgow - Aerospace Engineering
Southampton - Space Systems Engineering

Basically, I'm struggling to make up my mind between the two courses. My general area of interest is to do with space & I am interested in pursuing research in spacecraft/rocket propulsion.

At face value - since I am interested in space (and engineering) it would make sense to go to Southampton. However, I am worried that this would limit my employability as I am unsure how an MSc in Space Systems Engineering is viewed in industry as opposed to the more general Aerospace Engineering degree.

This leads directly to another issue, which is that I am finding it hard to judge the quality of teaching at each course, as I can't really just go off the Complete University Guide when it comes to Master's courses. I have posted individually in forums for Southampton and Glasgow to try to find out more from actual students but I thought I would mention this here as well just in case someone which knowledge of this topic happens upon this post.

[I'm new to student room so apologies if this is the wrong thread to post in, and if it is could someone point me toward the best place for the (rather broad) query.]
Reply 1
I'm afraid I can't help you here, just commenting so I can keep track to find this later as I am in a similar boat with Southampton's Space Systems Engineering and Cranfield's Astronautics & Space Engineering, and I never studied at Glasgow.

I CAN say this in Glasgow's favour though - Glasgow has Colin McInnes as a senior lecturer - the amount of his papers I read for my diss, he's a pretty dang important dude in Solar Sails and space optimization. If you could contact someone he has supervised or him himself (Spoken to him once at the start of my diss and he was immensely helpful), if it lines up with your interests he could be a great supervisor for your individual project.
Original post by AmeTay
I'm afraid I can't help you here, just commenting so I can keep track to find this later as I am in a similar boat with Southampton's Space Systems Engineering and Cranfield's Astronautics & Space Engineering, and I never studied at Glasgow.

I CAN say this in Glasgow's favour though - Glasgow has Colin McInnes as a senior lecturer - the amount of his papers I read for my diss, he's a pretty dang important dude in Solar Sails and space optimization. If you could contact someone he has supervised or him himself (Spoken to him once at the start of my diss and he was immensely helpful), if it lines up with your interests he could be a great supervisor for your individual project.

Thanks for your reply - I will definitely have to get in touch with him to find out more on the Glasgow side.

About Southampton, I did recently speak to two people (one current student + a recent graduate) from Southampton via Linkedin & they both spoke very positively of the experience & quality of teaching despite the pandemic so do get in touch if you want to hear more about what they said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending