The Student Room Group

Failing my 1st year of uni, need help.

My situation is pretty bad, my uni (university of northampton) is putting me through termination because i was unable to hand in my units. Apparently i can write an appeal with evidence of my circumstances. However i fear that it won't be enough at all. My reasonings on why i didn't hand in my dues was because of my chronic illness that flared up around december. It resulted into anxiety and depression and i was in a irrational mental state for the year onwards.

My emails where piling up one after another with so much work but i was completely lost because of the 2 month period of peak depression that had me not going to classes due to my poor physical condition.

I was reading the terms and conditions of this termination appeal, however it says that unacceptable circumstances are "student being confused" "being stressed" or "not telling the university about my circumstance out of fear or embarrassment".

It's a sticky one. Because this went on through a whole year and yes i should have reached out for help but i felt like i had no one comfortable with, especially with covid circumstances which ruined my chances of making friends in my classes when online learning became permanent for the year.

I've spoken around with a few students who failed their first year but they said that i should be able to retake my first year anyway. Though i don't see this being the case, they want to take me off my course and make me unable to study under the university until the next 2 years....basically might as well be kicking me out.

I'm afraid that covid, mental and physical health won't be enough to get my appeal done because i didnt have the guts to reach out for help until it was too late under my poor mental state. (ps. i did try and reach out to my tutor by email on the 2nd of july but she blanked me completely)

Don't know what to expect from anyone reading, but would appreciate any help for my situation.
(edited 2 years ago)
Best thing you could do as someone who has had chronic illness since early childhood, is either ask to redo the year again, or transfer to a Uni that has easier entry requirements and offers you the same kind of qualification you are seeking, repeat the year there. That University sounds like it doesn't understand or care of your circumstances. Best of luck to you

Quick Reply

Latest