The Student Room Group

Plato and the Forms ,Natural Law and Aristotle...

Hi guys,
I'm doing AS Philosophy and ethics(OCR).Due to circumstances I was not in for a few weeks and so mised the lessons.My friend photocopied me some of the notes but they sort of didn't make a lot of sense to me because they were written in her note form.

Yes I am searching for notes on the topics right now before anyone suggests that I use the search facility :yep:

So I'm just wondering if anyone knew any good sites/books/notes that explain the following topics:

-Plato and the concept of the forms(Particulary the form of the Good and its importance.
-Aristotle in general
-Natural Lawin general (Aquinas in particular)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philosophy-Religion-Level-Anne-Jordan/dp/0748780785

^ This will carry you through Foundation and Philosophy 1 (AS).
Reply 2
Nayberay
Hi guys,
I'm doing AS Philosophy and ethics(OCR).Due to circumstances I was not in for a few weeks and so mised the lessons.My friend photocopied me some of the notes but they sort of didn't make a lot of sense to me because they were written in her note form.

Yes I am searching for notes on the topics right now before anyone suggests that I use the search facility :yep:

So I'm just wondering if anyone knew any good sites/books/notes that explain the following topics:

-Plato and the concept of the forms(Particulary the form of the Good and its importance.
-Aristotle in general
-Natural Lawin general (Aquinas in particular)

Hope this is of help to you:
1) Natural Law comes under "ethics" so is treated as a seperate subject to philosophy. For Ethics I would strongely urge you to buy Ethical Studes 2nd Edition by Robert Bowie, explains everything you ever need to know including Natural Law. Although not visually exiciting [no pictures] the content is fantastic and it includes summaries at the end of each chapter in more simplified language. Make sure you get the 2nd edition because thats for the new spec.

2) I'm almost certain the book the previous poster mentioned is for the old spec and I think that the new book hasn't come out yet thats according to my teacher. We don't do a foundation paper.
She has been photocopying sheets from that book and it does have a good explanation of the allegory of the cave though, but not all of it is relevant to us now. My philosophy teacher did reccomend a book, though I can't remember which one, perhaps ask your teacher after half term.
Reply 3
jelly1000
Hope this is of help to you:
1) Natural Law comes under "ethics" so is treated as a seperate subject to philosophy. For Ethics I would strongely urge you to buy Ethical Studes 2nd Edition by Robert Bowie, explains everything you ever need to know including Natural Law. Although not visually exiciting [no pictures] the content is fantastic and it includes summaries at the end of each chapter in more simplified language. Make sure you get the 2nd edition because thats for the new spec.

2) I'm almost certain the book the previous poster mentioned is for the old spec and I think that the new book hasn't come out yet thats according to my teacher. We don't do a foundation paper.
She has been photocopying sheets from that book and it does have a good explanation of the allegory of the cave though, but not all of it is relevant to us now. My philosophy teacher did reccomend a book, though I can't remember which one, perhaps ask your teacher after half term.

Thanks for your helpful replies
I ordered this book off Amazon yesterday we use it in class but they're being stingy and we can't take them home.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Philosophy-Ethics-Student-Book/dp/0435303627/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224952691&sr=8-1

I'm gonna get the book from Bowie soon so thanks any other suggestions? :smile:
Reply 4
Nayberay
Thanks for your helpful replies
I ordered this book off Amazon yesterday we use it in class but they're being stingy and we can't take them home.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Philosophy-Ethics-Student-Book/dp/0435303627/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224952691&sr=8-1

I'm gonna get the book from Bowie soon so thanks any other suggestions? :smile:

Cool, I've not seen that book. I'm guessing its for the new spec? I might get it nearer exam time.

My school are the oposite, you have to buy your own textbooks, they don't have any. And I think your school isn't letting you take them home so people don't "steal them" or forget to bring them back, which costs the school money to replace them.
Reply 5
jelly1000
Cool, I've not seen that book. I'm guessing its for the new spec? I might get it nearer exam time.

My school are the oposite, you have to buy your own textbooks, they don't have any. And I think your school isn't letting you take them home so people don't "steal them" or forget to bring them back, which costs the school money to replace them.

Lol yeah thats true about people stealing them but I'd rather pay a deposit and then rent the book rather than haivng to buy it but oh wells.

That book is for the new spec as well :smile:
I'm gonna get that Bowie one tom.

Latest

Trending

Trending