The Student Room Group

Extra course funding

Hey everyone,

So I’m planning to return to university. I didn’t complete my final year due to mental health at the last hurdle. I didn’t complete my dissertation and I failed one of my third year exams and did not submit the essay to gain a pass.

My mental health has always been a major factor, with hospital admissions for self harm etc during my time at university. In the final few months I broke up with my boyfriend that I found was living a double life and then had my dog pass away very young with cancer, so my mental health went downhill further and made finishing my course impossible.

During my 3 years at university, I was regularly visiting the mental health team in student support so I’m confident she will write me a letter explaining my difficulties also.

I’m now 24, and my biggest regret was giving up at the final push. I’ve been looking into the open university to continue with my psychology degree.

The issue I run into is I can only credit transfer a maximum of 180 credits. This means I’d have half of second year and all of third year to repeat but student finance only provides one year extra funding. Is there any exceptions to this? I cannot afford a few thousand right how to pay for the half year myself so trying to figure out what my options are. Any information regarding student finance for my situation would be extremely helpful. Planning to give them a call in the week as I’m hoping to get a Jan start if possible so want to prepare as much as I can ☺️
Open University is classed as part time study by student finance. The previous study rules for part time finance allow up to 13 (?) years of study
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Open University is classed as part time study by student finance. The previous study rules for part time finance allow up to 13 (?) years of study

Oh I’ll have to look into that, I’ve only ever done full-time study. Would it make a difference if the first 3 years of study were done full time and now going to part time funding?
Original post by Jeska96
Oh I’ll have to look into that, I’ve only ever done full-time study. Would it make a difference if the first 3 years of study were done full time and now going to part time funding?

Hi there, if you didn't receive any qualification or as long as the qualification you have achieved is lower than what you will achieve for your part time course, then you can be funded for the part time course.

You won't receive any Maintenance Loan, unless you have a disability that prevents you from attending a physical university.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, if you didn't receive any qualification or as long as the qualification you have achieved is lower than what you will achieve for your part time course, then you can be funded for the part time course.

You won't receive any Maintenance Loan, unless you have a disability that prevents you from attending a physical university.

Thanks, Isaac

Thank you
I have called student finance and completing my application including sending evidence for compelling personal reasons. I have a couple letters to support the application. Such a written letter from my university explaining difficulties I had physically and mentally during the academic year (my final year) and that this prevented me from achieving my degree. Feeling confident now that I will be able to finish it ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending