The Student Room Group

A level grade prediction grade

Hi I am currently going to a private sixth-form college in London. I just finished my year 12 courses and received my first prediction grade( this means I can still improve my prediction grade during my first term of yr13).
Math- A*
FM- A
Econ -A
physics - B

I want to study at LSE BSc Finance course and i want to know if my prediction grade will be good enough to get an offer. i am really working hard on my personal statement as well.

On top of that, since i got a B on physics i am considering dropping out. I do not think i can keep up outstanding grades with physics anyway and i think having a B prediction grade will make my admission less competitive anyways. I want advice on this part on whether it is worth dropping or not. if i don't drop i will work hard to keep my grades as high as possible, but i am just worried that i may not be able to achieve outstanding grades on math, Fm, and Econ.

It is so annoying that either dropping and not dropping has both pros and cons. I saw the 2021 LSE application thread and saw most of the students applying with 4 levels which made me even more concerned.

I would be honored to get advice on whether dropping or not dropping will be a good idea and if my prediction grade is good enough to get an offer. ( i got records of internship at asset management firms and have two awards at UKMT senior math challenge as well.)
Surely it would make more sense to continue through year 13, and then take a gap year to reapply to LSE if you get the grades you hope for. In either scenario you would be setting yourself back a year, so why not actually just get the grades?
Does physics tie in to finance - it doesn't seem to so I would say drop it and try to bring it up to A*A*A at the very least

Keep in mind not EVERYONE is on TSR - there will be some who didnt even see the forum, many applicants who didn't say they applied, maybe a few even lied - I would suggest taking three as universities barely give an offer for four A-Levels, nor do they care if you do take more
Reply 3
Original post by junbin
Hi I am currently going to a private sixth-form college in London. I just finished my year 12 courses and received my first prediction grade( this means I can still improve my prediction grade during my first term of yr13).
Math- A*
FM- A
Econ -A
physics - B

I want to study at LSE BSc Finance course and i want to know if my prediction grade will be good enough to get an offer. i am really working hard on my personal statement as well.

On top of that, since i got a B on physics i am considering dropping out. I do not think i can keep up outstanding grades with physics anyway and i think having a B prediction grade will make my admission less competitive anyways. I want advice on this part on whether it is worth dropping or not. if i don't drop i will work hard to keep my grades as high as possible, but i am just worried that i may not be able to achieve outstanding grades on math, Fm, and Econ.

It is so annoying that either dropping and not dropping has both pros and cons. I saw the 2021 LSE application thread and saw most of the students applying with 4 levels which made me even more concerned.

I would be honored to get advice on whether dropping or not dropping will be a good idea and if my prediction grade is good enough to get an offer. ( i got records of internship at asset management firms and have two awards at UKMT senior math challenge as well.)

Do not be too worried your working well. Finance Bsc yes is hard to get into at LSE but no where near as much comp as the Econ degree there. i know some1 that got into LSE at A*AA for Econ so yes you may get in. i think once you reach that stage ur PS means more than ur grades so your good
Original post by Spennyboi
Surely it would make more sense to continue through year 13, and then take a gap year to reapply to LSE if you get the grades you hope for. In either scenario you would be setting yourself back a year, so why not actually just get the grades?

I'm confused on what you are saying - how does this tie in with this scenario?
Reply 5
Original post by AmIReallyHere

hes saying if you get good grades and got rejected from LSE just do a gap year and apply next year at the end of Year 13 when u finish the year

OP said they are considering dropping out due to having being predicted a B. This would then set them back a year solely for the purpose of getting a higher prediction to apply to LSE. Instead they could continue through year 13 and get their grades. In which case if they got an A they can apply to LSE in their gap year. Thus saving them a year instead of having to repeat year 12 for something so minor.
OP said they are considering dropping out due to having being predicted a B. This would then set them back a year solely for the purpose of getting a higher prediction to apply to LSE. Instead they could continue through year 13 and get their grades. In which case if they got an A they can apply to LSE in their gap year. Thus saving them a year instead of having to repeat year 12 for something so minor.

I thought they meant dropping out of physics alone - not of school entirely
Rereading now and that paragraph is reay ambiguous as I'm seeing both dropping out entirely or just physics - OP could you please clarify
Reply 9
Rereading now and that paragraph is reay ambiguous as I'm seeing both dropping out entirely or just physics - OP could you please clarify

I just meant phsyics. SOrry if i made it unclear.

Original post by junbin
I just meant phsyics. SOrry if i made it unclear.

Sorry, that completely changes the dynamic. I think this ultimately comes down to your personal judgement on if you think you can prove to your teacher you deserve an A prediction, as you still have year 13 to do so. Is it a simple issue of you haven't allocated enough revision time to physics perhaps? If so, i think continuing with it will be your best option. If on the other hand you believe its unlikely you can get the prediction to an A, and you are deadest on LSE, then yes, id recommend dropping it, but only in that situation. Best of luck.
Reply 11
Sorry, that completely changes the dynamic. I think this ultimately comes down to your personal judgement on if you think you can prove to your teacher you deserve an A prediction, as you still have year 13 to do so. Is it a simple issue of you haven't allocated enough revision time to physics perhaps? If so, i think continuing with it will be your best option. If on the other hand you believe its unlikely you can get the prediction to an A, and you are deadest on LSE, then yes, id recommend dropping it, but only in that situation. Best of luck.

The thing is i have joined physics course late due to personal health issues and did not had the chance to learn half of the course in AS-level physics. On top of that because of COVID i had to study online the whole year. It was really hard but I really worked my ass off to get an A at physics. I applied for retest to improve my predicted grade but i do not think i can achieve A unless i have the opportunity to learn the half of the stuff i did not learn. Also, i can not just use all my time on physics. I need to reivse for econ and FM which both of them are not easy stuff as well.

I feel like i can get A if i got the chance to learn the first half of the course and had enough time so it makes me hesitate to drop out. Also don't i get disadvantaged from students who i apply with four subjects if i drop physics?
Original post by junbin
The thing is i have joined physics course late due to personal health issues and did not had the chance to learn half of the course in AS-level physics. On top of that because of COVID i had to study online the whole year. It was really hard but I really worked my ass off to get an A at physics. I applied for retest to improve my predicted grade but i do not think i can achieve A unless i have the opportunity to learn the half of the stuff i did not learn. Also, i can not just use all my time on physics. I need to reivse for econ and FM which both of them are not easy stuff as well.

I feel like i can get A if i got the chance to learn the first half of the course and had enough time so it makes me hesitate to drop out. Also don't i get disadvantaged from students who i apply with four subjects if i drop physics?

I'm not questioning why you couldn't get an A, i completely understand. But there is no simple solution here. You can either take the risk and continue physics and try get an A, or drop it as a more "safe" option. I don't know much about LSE, so perhaps someone more qualified can answer that. But if you go onto their website i imagine they could give some clarity, or even email them. Just don't waste time trying to find the perfect solution, because there isn't one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending