The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever done a level computer science privately?

I just finished y12 doing maths, cs and business however im thinking about leaving college and entering as a private candidate for maths further maths and cs instead for a number of reasons. (I no longer want to go to college and i dont want to do business anymore but they wont allow me to switch, i also prefer learning at home) But i heard a level cs cant be done privately im guessing because of the coursework? Has anyone ever done it?
Reply 1
I’m also interested in doing a private a-level as a mature student. I only want to be put myself in for the exams only of one a-level. I’m not sure how it all works.

Does anyone know a list of exam centres that accept private candidates?

Does anyone know what I have to pay for?

How do people self prepare for the exams and revising themselves?
Original post by Kalon078
I just finished y12 doing maths, cs and business however im thinking about leaving college and entering as a private candidate for maths further maths and cs instead for a number of reasons. (I no longer want to go to college and i dont want to do business anymore but they wont allow me to switch, i also prefer learning at home) But i heard a level cs cant be done privately im guessing because of the coursework? Has anyone ever done it?

It's open for private candidate but its extremely difficult to find exam centre willing to enter for you because of the coursework as they need to authenticate it apparently
Reply 3
Original post by CurryCurry2468
It's open for private candidate but its extremely difficult to find exam centre willing to enter for you because of the coursework as they need to authenticate it apparently

Are colleges able to do this? I would like to do aqa cs btw but i read on their page, they dont accept private candidates so i assumed its impossible but is it slightly possible for my college to take me in as a private candidate if i asked? To enter me and assess my coursework since i already did first year there or is this unlikely? I would obviously pay.
Original post by Kalon078
Are colleges able to do this? I would like to do aqa cs btw but i read on their page, they dont accept private candidates so i assumed its impossible but is it slightly possible for my college to take me in as a private candidate if i asked? To enter me and assess my coursework since i already did first year there or is this unlikely? I would obviously pay.

You would have to speak to your colleges exams officer for clarification. I think with AQA its gonna be difficult due to the on screen exam and the fact it has pre release material, so idk how the college would send that to you (maybe via email??)

Quick Reply

Latest