The Student Room Group

Job Advice... Should I Resign?

So I've been at my job for 2 months now and I'm extremely bad at it. I work way too slow to meet targets and I keep thinking to myself, why the hell haven't they fired me yet? It's my first job and I'm just terribly slow and can't get the hang of it. My Coworkers laugh at me because of how bad I am by saying "come on its been 2 months and you are still this slow!?" and I constantly get told off by management and other staff for not doing my job properly. I feel like I wasn't given proper training and I was often left to struggle on my own with no support or guidance on my first few weeks and I'm still finding it hard to work at a faster pace. My contract was a fixed term contract and now it's become permanent (I have no idea why) .. I wish they would just end the contract after 1 month so I could get out of there while I could, without it looking bad. ... Now there's just a greater risk of being fired. So idk what to do. I go back to my 3rd year of uni in September and I feel like this job is going to be way too stressful for me along with coursework and exams. But at the same time it's a job and I need the money and experience on my CV since pretty much every student has a job. It literally took me 2 years to find a job, now finally I get one and I absolutely hate it! I really want to resign before I get fired but at the same time I don't want to be unemployed. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.
You could try talking to your manager at work, say you know you're not meeting their targets and you want to do something about it? Also, as you did say you think it'll be stressful to carry on with the job alongside your 3rd year studies, maybe try looking into a less stressful job that you are better/more comfortable with? I know you said you struggled to find this job, it just doesn't sound like the attitude from your co-workers and managers will be pleasant to deal with while you're stressed with university if they're not being supportive.

I'm not sure if that helps, but I hope you figure it out :smile:
Original post by SongBird2020
So I've been at my job for 2 months now and I'm extremely bad at it. I work way too slow to meet targets and I keep thinking to myself, why the hell haven't they fired me yet? It's my first job and I'm just terribly slow and can't get the hang of it. My Coworkers laugh at me because of how bad I am by saying "come on its been 2 months and you are still this slow!?" and I constantly get told off by management and other staff for not doing my job properly. I feel like I wasn't given proper training and I was often left to struggle on my own with no support or guidance on my first few weeks and I'm still finding it hard to work at a faster pace. My contract was a fixed term contract and now it's become permanent (I have no idea why) .. I wish they would just end the contract after 1 month so I could get out of there while I could, without it looking bad. ... Now there's just a greater risk of being fired. So idk what to do. I go back to my 3rd year of uni in September and I feel like this job is going to be way too stressful for me along with coursework and exams. But at the same time it's a job and I need the money and experience on my CV since pretty much every student has a job. It literally took me 2 years to find a job, now finally I get one and I absolutely hate it! I really want to resign before I get fired but at the same time I don't want to be unemployed. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Id start looking for other jobs. It's easier to get one whole you already have one.
Original post by grey-giraffe
You could try talking to your manager at work, say you know you're not meeting their targets and you want to do something about it? Also, as you did say you think it'll be stressful to carry on with the job alongside your 3rd year studies, maybe try looking into a less stressful job that you are better/more comfortable with? I know you said you struggled to find this job, it just doesn't sound like the attitude from your co-workers and managers will be pleasant to deal with while you're stressed with university if they're not being supportive.

I'm not sure if that helps, but I hope you figure it out :smile:

I told the manager that I'm slow and they keep telling me to just try and watch and learn from others. There's different managers in this store and they all say different things. But the main thing is that I'm slow and they want me to "slowly" improve over time. It's been 2 months and I don't feel like i'm making progress. At my 1 to 1 review meeting they said that it will take time to improve and they understand that I won't be as good as other employees hence they made my contract permanent maybe? but isn't 2 months more than enough time to get the hang of something? I just don't know if i should just brave it out and try to improve/not give or just look elsewhere,,,
Original post by SongBird2020
I told the manager that I'm slow and they keep telling me to just try and watch and learn from others. There's different managers in this store and they all say different things. But the main thing is that I'm slow and they want me to "slowly" improve over time. It's been 2 months and I don't feel like i'm making progress. At my 1 to 1 review meeting they said that it will take time to improve and they understand that I won't be as good as other employees hence they made my contract permanent maybe? but isn't 2 months more than enough time to get the hang of something? I just don't know if i should just brave it out and try to improve/not give or just look elsewhere,,,

If they understand you're struggling and want you to try learn from others and improve slowly, that's good. If you feel comfortable doing it, you could ask if it's possible for you to have one to one guidance from someone for a week if you feel like you're still not improving?

For most jobs it will take longer than 2 months to get the hang of it, as you said, so please don't worry about this. Some probationary periods for new employees at a company can be up to 6 months, and then they're put on a permanent contract if they pass or in some cases the probation gets extended.

If you're unhappy at your job for other reasons and still want to leave but need the income, it would probably be best to try wait it out while you apply for other jobs. If you can do without the income, maybe consider leaving before you have another job secured.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by grey-giraffe
If they understand you're struggling and want you to try learn from others and improve slowly, that's good. If you feel comfortable doing it, you could ask if it's possible for you to have one to one guidance from someone for a week if you feel like you're still not improving?

For most jobs it will take longer than 2 months to get the hang of it, as you said, so please don't worry about this. Some probationary periods for new employees at a company can be up to 6 months, and then they're put on a permanent contract if they pass or in some cases the probation gets extended.

If you're unhappy at your job for other reasons and still want to leave but need the income, it would probably be best to try wait it out while you apply for other jobs. If you can do without the income, maybe consider leaving before you have another job secured.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the help...I think I'll just stick at the job for the time being. I feel like although it's making me feel really unhappy, the experience and money is definitely worth it and I don't want to be unemployed for another year. If i get a notice from the manager that I'm doing extremely poor then I will think about resigning. I appreciate the advice a lot thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending