The Student Room Group

Flatmates at uni

So i'm starting uni in September and i joined a group chat with 3 of my flatmates at my uni accom. i think there's still going to be a few more but i've only found 3 so far. I know i haven't met them in person yet so it's hard to tell if we're going to get along or not but the group chat is a bit dry and they don't really respond... Is it even common to get along with your flatmates at uni? I just don't want it to be awkward. And some of my friends seem to be getting along well with their flatmates in their group chats. Some are even going to be meeting up before uni starts
Reply 1
People tend to get along however normally most flatmates don't do house chores and also remember that their not their to be your friend they might become them but their their for the accommodation
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So i'm starting uni in September and i joined a group chat with 3 of my flatmates at my uni accom. i think there's still going to be a few more but i've only found 3 so far. I know i haven't met them in person yet so it's hard to tell if we're going to get along or not but the group chat is a bit dry and they don't really respond... Is it even common to get along with your flatmates at uni? I just don't want it to be awkward. And some of my friends seem to be getting along well with their flatmates in their group chats. Some are even going to be meeting up before uni starts

I would not worry some group chats really take off others do not. Just wait and meet them in person and you can make friends from there. Group chats can be really toxic so a quiet one probably means you at least have no drama queens or control freaks so count your blessings.
they could be busy or spending time with their old friends from A'Levels... maybe they start getting more chatty in the last week or two.
Try not to send them too many messages, otherwise you may come across as over-eager.

Focus on yourself, and what you hope to achieve from going to uni.
Most people are about to spend £40,000 or more on their uni education. Some people want to learn as much as they can and do well in uni. So dont feel strange if they seem focused on work and not social.

Also: since you all havent met each other face-to-face, maybe they are being cautious.
What if the person you chat with online seems fine, and then you meet them and they are not your type of person to have as a friend, and then you find yourself in a friendship with someone you are not that comfortable with.
I don’t really focus too much on making friends in group chats and so only talk if I feel like it or have to. I prefer getting to know people in person ^^. We don’t have flatmate chats yet because we haven’t got our room numbers but I already know that if we do I probably won’t talk much.
personally i felt I got on really well with my flatmates over text before coming to uni but after moving in found lots of them were quite different and we didn't end up making great friends or even really staying in contact after we moved out. when you get to uni you'll meet loads of new people on your course, through your accomodation and people at social events and you'll find people you get along with, don't stress if you haven't met them before you start!
Flatmates begin as that- your flatmates- and depending on how well you bond with them they may stay that way. Go and make some friends by joining societies and clubs, and talking to people on your course, and you will be less reliant on your flatmates as the indicator of your happiness and university social life.

Quick Reply

Latest