Confusion about DT at GCSE

Watch this thread
ZayaanA
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi. I have to pick my subjects for GCSE going into Year 10 and I would like to do a Design and Technology course. My school offers DT as three distinct subjects, Graphics, Resistant Materials (referred to as RM from this point), and Food Technology. I would like to do either Graphics or RM but I am not quite sure exactly what they entail. From what I understand RM is more centred around physical products instead of computer aided design but that’s the extent of my knowledge. I have two questions.
- What are the major distinctions between these subjects?
- Are there any careers that one would suit more than the other?
samcarolinx
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
resistant materials are to do with woods timbers mechanisms types of joints
graphics is more practical skills , sketching, use of digital media, CAD/CAM, materials and manufacture in mainly cards and plastics.
Yas101
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ZayaanA)
Hi. I have to pick my subjects for GCSE going into Year 10 and I would like to do a Design and Technology course. My school offers DT as three distinct subjects, Graphics, Resistant Materials (referred to as RM from this point), and Food Technology. I would like to do either Graphics or RM but I am not quite sure exactly what they entail. From what I understand RM is more centred around physical products instead of computer aided design but that’s the extent of my knowledge. I have two questions.
- What are the major distinctions between these subjects?
- Are there any careers that one would suit more than the other?
Hi, I took resistant Materials For my tech gcse. There’s a lot in timbers but you also do like metals, fabric, electrical stuff etc. I don’t know abt the others but for me there is a whole lot of coursework. If you can manage it go for it but I mean there is a lot and it will take hours. All the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
21.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
17.39%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8.7%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
26.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
21.74%

Watched Threads