The Student Room Group

Twin no NINO

Hi,
I have two twin daughters (same date of birth, same sex, same surname, different first name) going to University this September. We are EU citizens with settled status, they were not born in the UK and they didn’t get a NINO when they turned 16.
They applied for finance with a bit of difference in March/April.
The one who applied first (let's say Twin 1), got her loan approved and then a couple of letters from SLC asking for a NINO. Not much later, a letter from DWP with the form to get a NINO. She sent the form back and awaited an answer from the DWP. Her SFE account kept asking for a NINO, but it was within the 16 weeks that DWP claims it can take to process the documentation.
The other one applied a bit later (say Twin 2), got her loan approved, got a single letter from SLC asking for a NINO, but no letter from DWP. We were surprised to discover that her SFE account wasn’t asking for a NINO.
After 16 weeks passed and a few calls, we concluded that Twin 1 had a NINO, but somebody had applied it to Twin 2’s SFE account.
Once that got solved, Twin 1’s information was all good (she has the loan, she has her NINO, SFE account has her NINO)
However since then, time has passed, and Twin 2 is still receiving letters from SLC asking for a NINO, her account says she has to provide a NINO, but she still has not received the DWP letter to provide information to get her NINO.
DWP suggests we should ask SFE if they have sent her name to DWP and recommends not applying outside SFE.
We’ve contacted SFE on the phone a few times and they are always helpful, but the fact is Twin 2 hasn’t received the form from DWP. September is really close.
We understand it must be an uncommon situation. But we would really appreciate it if someone with direct knowledge of the departments involved could track the situation and keep nudging the appropriate departments (or advise on a different path)
Thank you,
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gonfva
Hi,
I have two twin daughters (same date of birth, same sex, same surname, different first name) going to University this September. We are EU citizens with settled status, they were not born in the UK and they didn’t get a NINO when they turned 16.
They applied for finance with a bit of difference in March/April.
The one who applied first (let's say Twin 1), got her loan approved and then a couple of letters from SLC asking for a NINO. Not much later, a letter from DWP with the form to get a NINO. She sent the form back and awaited an answer from the DWP. Her SFE account kept asking for a NINO, but it was within the 16 weeks that DWP claims it can take to process the documentation.
The other one applied a bit later (say Twin 2), got her loan approved, got a single letter from SLC asking for a NINO, but no letter from DWP. We were surprised to discover that her SFE account wasn’t asking for a NINO.
After 16 weeks passed and a few calls, we concluded that Twin 1 had a NINO, but somebody had applied it to Twin 2’s SFE account.
Once that got solved, Twin 1’s information was all good (she has the loan, she has her NINO, SFE account has her NINO)
However since then, time has passed, and Twin 2 is still receiving letters from SLC asking for a NINO, her account says she has to provide a NINO, but she still has not received the DWP letter to provide information to get her NINO.
DWP suggests we should ask SFE if they have sent her name to DWP and recommends not applying outside SFE.
We’ve contacted SFE on the phone a few times and they are always helpful, but the fact is Twin 2 hasn’t received the form from DWP. September is really close.
We understand it must be an uncommon situation. But we would really appreciate it if someone with direct knowledge of the departments involved could track the situation and keep nudging the appropriate departments (or advise on a different path)
Thank you,

Hi, if there's no NINO on the account then we pass the details to the DWP to verify and the DWp then send he application pack.

So if the NINO that is incorrect has been removed, then her details should be automatically sent to the DWP.

She should message us on Facebook/Twitter or call us and then we can review her account.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, if there's no NINO on the account then we pass the details to the DWP to verify and the DWp then send he application pack.

So if the NINO that is incorrect has been removed, then her details should be automatically sent to the DWP.

Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned, she's been calling SFE quite a few times.

Do you know if DWP takes into account the reference number when starting the process? It's been suggested to me via private message from people in a similar situation that DWP only uses surname and date of birth and that would be concerning in the case of twin siblings.

Thanks anyway. My daughter will keep phoning SFE and DWP.
Original post by gonfva
Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned, she's been calling SFE quite a few times.

Do you know if DWP takes into account the reference number when starting the process? It's been suggested to me via private message from people in a similar situation that DWP only uses surname and date of birth and that would be concerning in the case of twin siblings.

Thanks anyway. My daughter will keep phoning SFE and DWP.

We don't give the DWP her reference number.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest