The Student Room Group

How hard is law?

Starting law in sept an RG uni, Im hard working, willing to get extra tuition if I needed it. Hoping to get a high 2:1 to first if possible? How difficult would this be?
Not really hard, assuming you work hard, do all the reading and at least are aware/skim the extra reading, prepare for the tutorials etc.

getting a low first from a high 2.1, i found harder, as the qualities needed were often a bit vague. Wasn't simply a case of work harder to get that extra.

if you have the RG offer, i assume you have good enough grades to get a good degree result.
Reply 2
the concepts of law aren't hard to understand; but, it takes a lot of effort to get a first or even a 2:1 if you go to a semi decent uni - far more than other degrees - cuz of the amount of reading/research involved and the sheer amount of case law, quotes and legal principles you have to memorise for a typical 3 hour exam to plug all them holes in your argument. like, there's a reason law notoriously hands out fewer first-class degrees than other degrees. of course, not all law degrees are the same or assessed the same way, so a lot depends on that. with that in mind, most students do indeed graduate with a 2:1; it's just more work than say a politics degree for instance, but if you really like reading law and you're a bit of a masochist you'll enjoy yourself (altho maybe less of a social life by comparison to others :h:).
Original post by Foxfeet
Starting law in sept an RG uni, Im hard working, willing to get extra tuition if I needed it. Hoping to get a high 2:1 to first if possible? How difficult would this be?

Hi there,

I currently study Law at the University of Liverpool, and I just wanted to point out that Law is a subject where if you put in the hours - it'll pay off. Anything is achievable if you set your mind to it, and if you're putting in the extra time like going to the extra sessions, following up on concepts you don't understand, asking questions in seminars - there is no reason as to why you wouldn't achieve a 2:1! :biggrin: Just don't forget to keep looking at the mark scheme, as this is what the examiners will be looking at when marking your work.

Believe in yourself!

Ana :smile:
University of Liverpool Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending