The Student Room Group

My brother said your body cells start dying at 20-21. Is it true?

I'm scared now. Im turning 20 on Saturday and I'm dreading it now. I was excited
Pretty sure your body's cells are constantly dying and being regenerated from birth.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Pretty sure your body's cells are constantly dying and being regenerated from birth.

But will I get health problems. My brother said like bones start to deteriorate and stuff like that
Original post by artful_lounger

^^^ Yup, this. The cells of your body die all the time and are replaced - some because other cells of the same type divide to make more, and some because stem cells divide to make replacements.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
But will I get health problems. My brother said like bones start to deteriorate and stuff like that

Do you have osteopetrosis? Otherwise i very much doubt it
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sinnoh
Do you have osteopetrosis? Otherwise i very much doubt it

I don't have it

Well, humans do get health problems eventually, and they tend to increase with age. But there's no reason to suspect you'll get bone problems specifically, and it's not because your body cells just start dying in your twenties. As above, they're dying all the time and that's normal.
Reply 7
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
^^^ Yup, this. The cells of your body die all the time and are replaced - some because other cells of the same type divide to make more, and some because stem cells divide to make replacements.

But will I get health problems and stuff

If it's any consolation I'm nearer 30 than 20 and my body hasn't collapsed on itself yet...
Reply 9
Well, humans do get health problems eventually, and they tend to increase with age. But there's no reason to suspect you'll get bone problems specifically, and it's not because your body cells just start dying in your twenties. As above, they're dying all the time and that's normal.

I'm scared now ngl
I'm scared now ngl

Don't stress about it. Do something about it. What you can do to make your body last longer is: don't smoke, drink very little, eat healthily, and take regular exercise. Vegetarianism or near-vegetarianism doesn't hurt either.

My philosophy is: there are things you can do something about and things you can't do anything about. The first group, you just do something about them and then you don't have to worry. The second group, you can't do anything about them so what's the point of worrying?
Don't stress about it. Do something about it. What you can do to make your body last longer is: don't smoke, drink very little, eat healthily, and take regular exercise. Vegetarianism or near-vegetarianism doesn't hurt either.

My philosophy is: there are things you can do something about and things you can't do anything about. The first group, you just do something about them and then you don't have to worry. The second group, you can't do anything about them so what's the point of worrying?

He said it can happen anyway
He said it can happen anyway

It sounds like your brother is winding you up!

Yes, health problems can happen anyway. But they're less likely, they're likely to happen later rather than sooner, and they'll be less serious.
It sounds like your brother is winding you up!

Yes, health problems can happen anyway. But they're less likely, they're likely to happen later rather than sooner, and they'll be less serious.

I'm just worried
I mean technically yeah you're body isn't developing any more like it was when going through growth like during childhood and puberty, but you're not going to rapidly decline overnight. I feel no different at 24 than I did at 18! Don't worry about it, how many people in their twenties and thirties do you look at and think 'god they look like they're deteriorating I can tell their cells are dying'? You don't. Your brothers just winding you up. Plus you see all sorts of stories about how people can feel better in their thirties and forties than they did in their teens and twenties because they started taking care of themselves. You can feel good at any age and feel rubbish at any age
I'm scared now. Im turning 20 on Saturday and I'm dreading it now. I was excited

He may have got confused but your brain hits its peak at age 21 and from then on, sections of your brain slowly start deteriorating. But your cells always die and regenerate, they just stop doing that as efficiently as you get older.
Reply 16

He would be broadly mistaken. You dont start a quick slide towards your inevitable end at 20

not at the age of 20 unless you have an underlying health condition. Health issues increase with age but no need to worry yet

Your cells are dying all the time from when you was born i think what he is trying to say is that your body reaches its peak at a certain age then it starts getting weaker however it tends to be a slow decline so if your not a athlete you don't need to worry.

Quick Reply

Latest