The Student Room Group

should i open a monzo account?

due to having no credit score i can’t open a student bank account with santander - i have now registered to vote for 50points but it won’t come up for like 40 days which is too late and even then i still may not be able to open one

so i’m having to open an ordinary current account first and i’ve heard of lots of students are using monzo so i was wondering if i should too?
No, avoid monzo at all costs.

Try a basic high street bank account without an overdraft.
I'd recommend a basic no overdraft account with barclays and metro.
If you can come to a branch with your uk issued passport or drivers licence and also have two proofs of address, metro can open up your account with debit card & cheque book within 35 mins.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
No, avoid monzo at all costs.

Try a basic high street bank account without an overdraft.
I'd recommend a basic no overdraft account with barclays and metro.
If you can come to a branch with your uk issued passport or drivers licence and also have two proofs of address, metro can open up your account with debit card & cheque book within 35 mins.

ah i may try metro then

may i ask why i should avoid monzo at all costs? as i know of a few people who have recently opened ones with them
Original post by AveriNova
ah i may try metro then

may i ask why i should avoid monzo at all costs? as i know of a few people who have recently opened ones with them

Monzo have appalling customer service that has got drastically worse over the pandemic.
They have been mass closing customer accounts without notice and freezing the accounts of furloughed and UC claiming customers for 3 weeks+ with no explanations or means of paying necessary living expenses.
There is likely to be a very large settlement sought by London and Yorkshire legal firms bringing a class action on the instruction of hundreds of furious ex-monzo customers.
Reply 4
Original post by AveriNova
ah i may try metro then

Barclays have a very good mobile app imho
+1 for Barclays, I've got a Monzo but don't use it as a main account.

Barclays has this great feature where you can see card details and pin on the app which is a lifesaver tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending