The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Is Southampton a boring place to live?

Have an offer for Sept 2021. Is it boring?

How is the nightlife? Obviously not the most
important thing as education will come first, but bring from the capital I do not wish to be bored for 3 years…
Original post by MrSoloDolo

important thing as education will come first, but bring from the capital I do not wish to be bored for 3 years…

so i am here in soton now and its not boring at all! lots of good clubs in the city and some closer to the uni! also the city is pretty to explore, nice greenery not boring at all
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by saskiahdltea
so i am here in soton now and its not boring at all! lots of good clubs in the city and some closer to the uni! also the city is pretty to explore, nice greenery not boring at all

Thanks for your reply, are you a current student at Soton?

How many choices for clubs? Also if you know about the student accommodation, which would you recommend?

I have Wessex Lane currently, but as far as I know Mayflower is situated in the city centre, this would perhaps be the better option.

Also, the buses, do they run 24/7 like in London?
I never really noticed students complaining about the nightlife other than the sticky floor at Jesters when I was there :tongue:

People seemed to complain more about the nightlife in Exeter, I don't know if this is because those at Southampton managed their expectations better or if Southampton just has better nightlife?

How many choices for clubs? Also if you know about the student accommodation, which would you recommend?

I have Wessex Lane currently, but as far as I know Mayflower is situated in the city centre, this would perhaps be the better option.

I didn't go to Uni in Soton but lived there for a few years right after.There are a few all night buses but you won't need the if you're at Mayflower. The uni buses up to Wessex Lane are like U1 / U1A etc if you want to look them up, but current students will probs know more. I'm not sure if they're 24 hours tbh but I know I've seen students hobbling up The Avenue at all hours haha. Bedford Place / London Road is super busy nightlife, and if you want something more chilled you have Oxford Street and Ocean Village down the other end which tends to skew a bit older. I personally love Southampton, perfect sized city for me and I'd be back there now if I could be. London only 1h 20m by train but also Bournemouth 40 mins away and Winchester just 15/20. If you're a real culture buff in any area it may fall short, it's no London or Manchester, but aside from those cities and maybe Glasgow / Edi / Cardiff, it's one of my fave UK places.

yep i am a current student here! there are maybe 5-10 choices for clubs so no real complaints from people! and student accommodation i am team Wessex forever! it's super cheap and the bus links are good, the buses run until midnight ish and start at 5am ish. but friday/saturday night there is a night bus running all night
Reply 6
Original post by smokeandmirrors
I didn't go to Uni in Soton but lived there for a few years right after.There are a few all night buses but you won't need the if you're at Mayflower. The uni buses up to Wessex Lane are like U1 / U1A etc if you want to look them up, but current students will probs know more. I'm not sure if they're 24 hours tbh but I know I've seen students hobbling up The Avenue at all hours haha. Bedford Place / London Road is super busy nightlife, and if you want something more chilled you have Oxford Street and Ocean Village down the other end which tends to skew a bit older. I personally love Southampton, perfect sized city for me and I'd be back there now if I could be. London only 1h 20m by train but also Bournemouth 40 mins away and Winchester just 15/20. If you're a real culture buff in any area it may fall short, it's no London or Manchester, but aside from those cities and maybe Glasgow / Edi / Cardiff, it's one of my fave UK places.

Hi, thanks for your detailed reply. I am a Ldn boy and have actually visited Soton and can definitely see why you say it isn’t as busy as Manchester or London, it didn’t seem boring to me but I appreciate the confirmation

I guess my anxieties come from the fact I did better in my a levels than expected (CBB<A*A(B). Since I didn’t retake the B, I firmed a uni perhaps in hindsight I should have made my insurance…

Regardless I’m going to give the uni a go. Thanks for your reply :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, thanks for your detailed reply. I am a Ldn boy and have actually visited Soton and can definitely see why you say it isn’t as busy as Manchester or London, it didn’t seem boring to me but I appreciate the confirmation

I guess my anxieties come from the fact I did better in my a levels than expected (CBB<A*A(B). Since I didn’t retake the B, I firmed a uni perhaps in hindsight I should have made my insurance…

Regardless I’m going to give the uni a go. Thanks for your reply :smile:

Soton is a decent uni (assuming you mean the main one not Solent which is a newer uni although more centrally located), isn't it Russell Group? You can easy do a weekend at home to get your London fix but I bet you're falling out of Junk at 5am by the end of fresher's week lol. Good luck :-)
Reply 8
It's small but I wouldn't call it boring. It's very much a university city; students dominate large portions so there are plenty of bars/clubs, and young people are everywhere. Similar to Brighton in that way, without the toffs and vegan shops. But there's no denying it's an ugly place and has no culture, same as Reading.

The uni is an excllent RG and has become very highly ranked. It beats York, Durham, St Andrews, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, etc. in both The Times UK rankings and the QS global rankings. The only southern university (below London) ranked higher is Bristol, which is also a nicer place (but expensive).

Other good points: on the coast, good weather, cheap rent, campus uni. I live in Highfield and it's a 5 min walk to the campus.
Reply 9
Original post by smokeandmirrors
Soton is a decent uni (assuming you mean the main one not Solent which is a newer uni although more centrally located), isn't it Russell Group? You can easy do a weekend at home to get your London fix but I bet you're falling out of Junk at 5am by the end of fresher's week lol. Good luck :-)

Yes I’m going to the Uni Of and not Solent. It is an RG, but isn’t that just a marketing gimmick rather than proof of how good a university is?

I am impressed with its ranking etc so not downplaying it at all, it seems to be pretty high quality for an education institution :smile:

On a side note, do you know anyone who did an LLB from here? How are they doing now?

Cheers

Original post by Shook
It's small but I wouldn't call it boring. It's very much a university city; students dominate large portions so there are plenty of bars/clubs, and young people are everywhere. Similar to Brighton in that way, without the toffs and vegan shops. But there's no denying it's an ugly place and has no culture, same as Reading.

The uni is an excllent RG and has become very highly ranked. It beats York, Durham, St Andrews, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, etc. in both The Times UK rankings and the QS global rankings. The only southern university (below London) ranked higher is Bristol, which is also a nicer place (but expensive).

Other good points: on the coast, good weather, cheap rent, campus uni. I live in Highfield and it's a 5 min walk to the campus.

Hey mate, that is reassuring. I have talked to some from there, and generally get the same replies as you. As in, it seems to be pretty fun, not as mad as MADchester😂 but still.

About the “RG” status and how much better it is than the other universities, I guess that is up to interpretation. It’s definitely on the level of those other universities but when it comes to these types of unis, they all kind of blend together with none being head and shoulders above the others. That being said I am still impressed with how highly it’s ranked and the quality of the university, at least from what I can see online.

I agree about the ugly part of it, at least some of the urban residential areas seem to be not that pleasing to the eye lmao. The city centre looks okay, and I’m glad to be reassured that I haven’t chose an extremely boring uni!

Cheap rent? What are you smoking hahaha, I have to pay a lot…

On a side note, so you know anyone who did an LLB from Soton? how are they doing now?

Cheers
Yes I’m going to the Uni Of and not Solent. It is an RG, but isn’t that just a marketing gimmick rather than proof of how good a university is?

I am impressed with its ranking etc so not downplaying it at all, it seems to be pretty high quality for an education institution :smile:

On a side note, do you know anyone who did an LLB from here? How are they doing now?

Cheers

Hey mate, that is reassuring. I have talked to some from there, and generally get the same replies as you. As in, it seems to be pretty fun, not as mad as MADchester😂 but still.

About the “RG” status and how much better it is than the other universities, I guess that is up to interpretation. It’s definitely on the level of those other universities but when it comes to these types of unis, they all kind of blend together with none being head and shoulders above the others. That being said I am still impressed with how highly it’s ranked and the quality of the university, at least from what I can see online.

I agree about the ugly part of it, at least some of the urban residential areas seem to be not that pleasing to the eye lmao. The city centre looks okay, and I’m glad to be reassured that I haven’t chose an extremely boring uni!

Cheap rent? What are you smoking hahaha, I have to pay a lot…

On a side note, so you know anyone who did an LLB from Soton? how are they doing now?

Cheers

I don't know anyone with an LLB from there but actually Southampton is a regional hub with lots of law firms. There's actually a lot of wealth outside of the city centre, places like Winchester, Romsey and the New Forest are teeming with rich retirees and I'v no dout that there are tonnes of small and mid sized legal practices lapping it all up, so probs some good opportunities for work experience.

Only parts of the suburbs are what I'd call ugly. The docks areas I always liked and I think the city centre is decent. When you get time head out on some easy day trips to the above places and you'll find some great spots. Or over to Bournemouth for a different night out where you can pass out on the beach afterwards haha.

Hi @MrSoloDolo!

I know this response is a bit late, but hopefully it can still give you some insight. I'm a third year at Uni of Southampton, and it is definitely not boring!

The uni, SUSU and societies do a good amount of events, and there's almost always something to do (pub crawls, night outs, movie nights, barbeque, karaoke at Stag's which is always packed and popular). As for the city and nightlife, you for sure won't be bored. There's a lot of clubs, bars, restaurants and pubs (Jesters which is a big favourite, Switch, Sobar, a new nightclub called Trilogy). I live in Bedford Place which is less than 30 second walk away from Trilogy, which is also located within a group of clubs and lounges, and guaranteed almost every weekend night there's lines outside clubs and a crowd. Where I live isn't quite central to the city centre (about a 12 minute walk) but definitely alive at night so that'd be another area you can look for your nights out

Personally, while I've been to most clubs for the experience, I didn't really enjoy the club scene, so I preferred Oxford Street which is a bit out the way and a slightly older crowd, but was more nice restaurants and bars. And for an occasion, Ocean Village is beautiful and has some lovely restaurants. Oxford Street and Ocean Village is not as student-oriented and more expensive, but you have options if you'd like a change. The city centre and Portswood are definitely student hubs and always has a good crowd.

There's 270 societies, so you'd be sure to find one suited for you if you're interested in joining one and going to their events (most also don't require you to be a member to attend!). Southampton is also nicely situated so you're not far from Winchester or Bournemouth, so its easy to get a train for a day out, which is something I personally enjoyed.

I also saw one of your other posts asking about accommodation and buses. Buses run during the day but stops around midnight and starts again around 5am, and there's a night bus (U1N) which runs on Friday and Saturday, so not 24/7. They aren't as frequent as London but still pretty frequent (one every 8 minutes). As for accommodation, I lived in Wessex Lane which I thoroughly enjoyed (nice room, bus right outside, 6 minute bus ride to uni and average 30 minutes to city centre), but if you prefer being close to the city rather than the uni, Mayflower might be your better option.

As for my personal experience, I've had some great nights at The Edge and Orange Rooms. I also do prefer a more chilled vibe, so I enjoyed just doing drinks at Funky Flamingo, the cinema, going to the arcade or going bowling. The city definitely provides for most things, whether its a good restaurant, clubbing, drinks, or just fun (I didn't care for taking a walk through the park like what is usually common, so I liked having the cinema or escape rooms to do).

I can say the city is definitely not boring and there's always stuff to do! Feel free to post any more questions you may have, and I hope you enjoy studying and living here if you did decide on Southampton!

Jade :smile:
Official Rep for University of Southampton.

Quick Reply

Latest