The Student Room Group

medicine at UoM..in a weird situation

basically i got 3As and 1 A star this summer in my a levels
my gcses r 97776666, 7 in eng lang and 6 in maths
i want to do medicine at manchester univeristy
but i dont meet the gcse requirments
last year i emailed them they said if i apply to them with the correct acheieved a level grades they would consider my application obv they will only make an offer if ucat n ps is gud enough
so i got the right grades n now im wanting to apply
on the website it says the same thing but it says b4 u send ur ucas off u need to contact the admission team
i got in touch with them thru email n they took 10 days to reply
and then said that they wont accept my gcses n asked for proof that they actually said whatever i mentioned above to me
so i sent them a ss of the email n also an ss of the website
they havent replied yet its been 8 hours noww
idk what to do
i dont wanna annoy em
but literally i really wanna go to UoM for medicine
worked so hard for the grades
n now everything is jus falling apart
immmm so depressed
@PQ or @Evil Homer, any tips? :smile:

Manchester requires 7 7s at GCSE so you could resit, but you could also just apply to other schools, as you have other options? Have you sat the UCAT yet - you don’t know that your UCAT score would be acceptable for Manchester yet anyway.
Original post by tecna
last year i emailed them they said if i apply to them with the correct acheieved a level grades they would consider my application obv they will only make an offer if ucat n ps is gud enough
on the website it says the same thing but it says b4 u send ur ucas off u need to contact the admission team
and then said that they wont accept my gcses n asked for proof that they actually said whatever i mentioned above to me
idk what to do
i dont wanna annoy em
immmm so depressed

I would imagine they are trying to find out who previously agreed the situation with you, so it may take them a while to get back to you.

I understand your frustrations, but they have only agreed to even consider your application- that's not a guarantee of an interview let alone an offer.

I think it is worth considering your other choices.

I think in most circumstances if you don't meet GCSE entry requirements, it's expected you will resit the GCSES.
Reply 3
Original post by tecna
idk what to do
i dont wanna annoy em
immmm so depressed

The website says it is not a guaranteed right
"Achieved A-level grades
If you have already achieved your A-level grades (and these meet the above requirements) but do not have the required GCSE grades you may still be considered.
To be considered you must have a minimum of grade B (6) in GCSE English Language and Mathematics. Dual Award Science must be offered at minimum BB (66) or the sciences at minimum grade B (6) at GCSE or AS-level.
This is not an automatic right and you should contact the admissions team prior to application to determine your eligibility to apply."

I am not sure that what may have been said last year can automatically be deemed to have carried forward for this year, as it is a different cohort and cycle
Original post by GANFYD
The website says it is not a guaranteed right
"Achieved A-level grades
If you have already achieved your A-level grades (and these meet the above requirements) but do not have the required GCSE grades you may still be considered.
To be considered you must have a minimum of grade B (6) in GCSE English Language and Mathematics. Dual Award Science must be offered at minimum BB (66) or the sciences at minimum grade B (6) at GCSE or AS-level.
This is not an automatic right and you should contact the admissions team prior to application to determine your eligibility to apply."

I am not sure that what may have been said last year can automatically be deemed to have carried forward for this year, as it is a different cohort and cycle

thank you guzy for the replyy...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending