The Student Room Group

Crying at work

I feel so embarrassed I’m like new to work I’ve been working like 6 weeks and today a Karen customer complained about me to my manager saying I was rude when she got angry that her son fits a size 4 and she goes that’s not his shoe size I was like it is. So then when she said something I responded back and I was angry aswell. I’m a really sensitive person once I cry I can’t stop and I cried for so long at work I feel so embarrassed my colleagues were really nice but I wish I didn’t cry
don't worry your colleagues will forget about it by tomorrow
People can be strange, you'll definitely get plenty of people like her. You're there to advise- if a size 4 fits her son then just say you appreciate in different shops he's a size 'X' but in your store that's the size he fits and would they like to try other sizes to be sure.

You can't change the size of the kid or the shoe and its up to her to buy the correct size or the size she wants. If in doubt, get your manager. Play the 'you are not speaking to me in an appropriate manner' card first. Just because a lot of people treat retail staff like rubbish doesn't mean it's something you should have to put up with.
Original post by PollyParrot23
People can be strange, you'll definitely get plenty of people like her. You're there to advise- if a size 4 fits her son then just say you appreciate in different shops he's a size 'X' but in your store that's the size he fits and would they like to try other sizes to be sure.

You can't change the size of the kid or the shoe and its up to her to buy the correct size or the size she wants. If in doubt, get your manager. Play the 'you are not speaking to me in an appropriate manner' card first. Just because a lot of people treat retail staff like rubbish doesn't mean it's something you should have to put up with.

The thing is, she didn’t even act rude with me but once I went then she started complaining about me like imagine I wasn’t there and I spoke to her saying literally what you said she goes no this and that saying rude things about me. So then once I get angry I get emotional very fast and that’s when I didn’t stop crying.
(edited 2 years ago)
Don’t worry about it, we all get overwhelmed sometimes and at such a pain of a woman I can understand why. Your co workers won’t think any less of you because we’ve all had days like that where some people have just made us want to rip our hair out and others just collapse onto a seat.
Just walk into your next shift with your head held up and remember that we all have those days, it doesn’t need to effect now, because this is an entirely new shift and a new start. X
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PollyParrot23

The thing is, she didn’t even act rude with me but once I went then she started complaining about me like imagine I wasn’t there and I spoke to her saying literally what you said she goes no this and that saying rude things about me. So then once I get angry I get emotional very fast and that’s when I didn’t stop crying.
Original post by lucy_thompson2
Don’t worry about it, we all get overwhelmed sometimes and at such a pain of a woman I can understand why. Your co workers won’t think any less of you because we’ve all had days like that where some people have just made us want to rip our hair out and others just collapse onto a seat.
Just walk into your next shift with your head held up and remember that we all have those days, it doesn’t need to effect now, because this is an entirely new shift and a new start. X

Thank you so much means a lot I just struggle with my emotions and once I start crying I don’t stop
Original post by Cutiepie789

Honestly do not worry about it- it probably wasn't your most enjoyable moment at work but if your manager is half decent they will know that some customers are just like that and that it doesn't mean you're a bad employee. Perhaps talking to a manager about how to handle these situations could help? You are not alone in getting emotional when you get angry and I totally understand why you were angry
Thread cleared up and re-opened.

Sorry that you received some unkind responses OP, if you have nothing nice to say please dont say anything at all :smile: Constructive and helpful advice only please

--------

I think it's just practice OP. My first job was a very tough environment worked with some really rough (but genuine) people who didn't mince their words. I did end up crying a few times but gradually as i acclimatised to it it happened less and less. Ultimately this is a job, yes it's important and yes it is good to try your best but sometimes you need to take a step back and realise it's not the be all and end all. That person was grumpy and unkind but she's just one person and has little bearing on your job. Your manager will be used to dealing with picky customers like that and i wouldnt sweat it. Maybe just think about how you handled the situation and what you would do differently in the future, reflection and trying your best is all anyone can ask for.

If i feel like im getting overwhelmed in my current job i nip to the toilet for a few minutes, i know thats not always possible with customer facing roles. Although my last role wasnt general public facing i had to deal with a lot of (often agitated) people and sometimes if it was getting a little heated i would call in my superiors to handle the situation. Don't be scared to ask for help if you need it, if a customer is becoming rude or abusive i'm sure they will be happy to step in.

Best of luck :hugs:
I feel so embarrassed I’m like new to work I’ve been working like 6 weeks and today a Karen customer complained about me to my manager saying I was rude when she got angry that her son fits a size 4 and she goes that’s not his shoe size I was like it is. So then when she said something I responded back and I was angry aswell. I’m a really sensitive person once I cry I can’t stop and I cried for so long at work I feel so embarrassed my colleagues were really nice but I wish I didn’t cry

I totally get you, I'm very sensitive myself. There's nothing embarrassing about crying! I'm sure your colleagues don't care that much and it doesn't make your work performance worse! Don't stress about it <3
Original post by CoolCavy
Thread cleared up and re-opened.

Sorry that you received some unkind responses OP, if you have nothing nice to say please dont say anything at all :smile: Constructive and helpful advice only please

--------

I think it's just practice OP. My first job was a very tough environment worked with some really rough (but genuine) people who didn't mince their words. I did end up crying a few times but gradually as i acclimatised to it it happened less and less. Ultimately this is a job, yes it's important and yes it is good to try your best but sometimes you need to take a step back and realise it's not the be all and end all. That person was grumpy and unkind but she's just one person and has little bearing on your job. Your manager will be used to dealing with picky customers like that and i wouldnt sweat it. Maybe just think about how you handled the situation and what you would do differently in the future, reflection and trying your best is all anyone can ask for.

If i feel like im getting overwhelmed in my current job i nip to the toilet for a few minutes, i know thats not always possible with customer facing roles. Although my last role wasnt general public facing i had to deal with a lot of (often agitated) people and sometimes if it was getting a little heated i would call in my superiors to handle the situation. Don't be scared to ask for help if you need it, if a customer is becoming rude or abusive i'm sure they will be happy to step in.

Best of luck :hugs:

Yeah definitely, I just went in the stockroom then I got angry and started crying near the colleagues and they all came and made me feel better and asked me if I was okay even my manager and that made me cry even more

You sound quite young. When I was younger and working, I was (and still kind of am) a sensitive person. I had been on the verge of tears so many times because people had been rude to me and I couldn't tolerate it well. It's a shock to go into the 'real world' where people don't owe you anything and not everyone will be nice to you, but savour those who are nice to you! When you're already really new to work, which is already super nerve wracking and you want to do a good job, the stress can make you even more likely to cry.

Now I'm older, after many bad situations and dealing with rude people, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to thankfully. I almost find the situations entertaining because people never cease to amaze me. You grow a thick skin as you get older, you learn how to deal with situations and you realise that it's not worth stressing over. You start sticking up for yourself a bit more without being rude to people and you get more assertive. You think about the number of good interactions and comments you've had in relation to that one miserable person's POV and realise it doesn't mean anything. I remind myself that I would never treat someone the way they've treated me so they mustn't be a nice person so why do I care what they think?

It will get easier in time and with more work experience, I promise. :heart:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending