The Student Room Group

The Paralympics Big Chat Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurawatt
Not a good enough excuse :hand: :tongue:

who is winning medel table in this are we(uk) doing ok
Original post by Wise Goldie
who is winning medel table in this are we(uk) doing ok

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/paralympic-games/en/results/all-sports/medal-standings.htm

Great Britain in second place at the moment :king2:

yay we doing better than we did in other olympics
Original post by PQ
It's weird - I've been watching on livestream but I've recorded everything on C4 and More4 (but haven't watched anything from the tv channels yet).

I've put in a complaint to C4 about their presenters on the wheelchair rugby talking about para-olympics :indiff: https://storage.googleapis.com/paralympicsgb/guide%20to%20reporting.pdf

Great PDF. :adore:
In terms of terminology, the only one I disagree with is Team GB vs. Paralympics GB.
The able-bodied athletes shouldn't own the phrase "Team GB". There is nothing distinctively Olympic about that phrase and Team GB feels like a perfectly apt description for British Paralympic athletes.
I don't really like the Olympics or the Paralympics- but for different reasons.

I love the Olympic ideal, but think the games is wrecked by cheating, scummy countries and political correctness - as well as providing a showcase for attention-seekers. There are also far too many events with judge-scoring as well as too many groups events that can be dominated by superstars - especially swimming, and to a lesser extent cycling and track athletics; Some athletes have the opportunity to win several medals for essentially the same discipline, whereas others can only possibly win one.

I love the Paralympic ideal, but I can't shake the feeling that many of the events are simply not fair - and they try to estimate levels of ability/disability and then have people compete in unfair categories or with inappropriate (sporting) handicaps. I also find the doping policies for both Olympics and Paralympics to be absurd. An athlete can be banned for taking a cold remedy - but can self identify gender. A paralympian can similarly gain an exemption for a banned substance if it is necessary to a medical condition - again this is making a subjective estimate of impact and ability/disability.
Original post by 04MR17
Great PDF. :adore:
In terms of terminology, the only one I disagree with is Team GB vs. Paralympics GB.
The able-bodied athletes shouldn't own the phrase "Team GB". There is nothing distinctively Olympic about that phrase and Team GB feels like a perfectly apt description for British Paralympic athletes.

yeah I disagree with that one two - I suspect that's more to do with funding and sponsorship (and organisation/jobs) than about what team the athletes feel part of (especially given the document was published by ParalympicsGB :wink:)
(edited 2 years ago)
There's a swimming medal ceremony not happening due to a protest. :redface:

Will update with more details when I have it.
Original post by 04MR17
There's a swimming medal ceremony not happening due to a protest. :redface:

Will update with more details when I have it.

Women's S11 50m freestyle to be re-swum after a protest is upheld by officials.
That’s twice today that I’ve tuned in just as they are cutting to a break :lol: :facepalm:

Original post by 04MR17
Women's S11 50m freestyle to be re-swum after a protest is upheld by officials.

Do we know what the protest’s about?
Original post by laurawatt
That’s twice today that I’ve tuned in just as they are cutting to a break :lol: :facepalm:

Do we know what the protest’s about?
I think this was where 2nd or 3rd and 4th was touched so closely that it's being disputed that the sensor pads were accurate when recording the times. Usually if the sensors on the walls record the exact same time both would get the medal, but it might be. 0.01 second out yet the footage might show no difference.

It's that or a coach has spotted an illegality in the start, turn or finish from another athlete, but the athlete was not DQed when the results were posted.
Channel 4 showing some replays of athletics :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
I think this was where 2nd or 3rd and 4th was touched so closely that it's being disputed that the sensor pads were accurate when recording the times. Usually if the sensors on the walls record the exact same time both would get the medal, but it might be. 0.01 second out yet the footage might show no difference.

It's that or a coach has spotted an illegality in the start, turn or finish from another athlete, but the athlete was not DQed when the results were posted.
Update: turns out it was due to swimmers making contact with one another underwater (visually impaired).

@flaurie
Original post by 04MR17
Update: turns out it was due to swimmers making contact with one another underwater (visually impaired).

@flaurie

Ahhh I see, thanks! :h:
I'm so pleased that I volunteered to do the wheelchair rugby thread in the end! What a match this morning!!
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I'm so pleased that I volunteered to do the wheelchair rugby thread in the end! What a match this morning!!

It was soooo good! So proud of them for keeping their cool
I have no interest in the paralympics, sorry. My appreciation for their performances is for sure!
I watched a bit on catch up and caught some of the swimming, I didn't realise how many categories there were for swimming, which makes sense. Personally. I didn't catch much of the Olympics this year, so hope to catch more of the Paralympics. I live in London and I remember in 2021 I went to the stadium to see Paralympic volly ball, which was great and really interesting.
Very moving interview with Eleanor Robinson going viral
Bit of controversy in the T54 1500m; David Weir almost crashed due to irresponsible behaviour by the Chinese athlete. :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest