Watch
Cupcakes12
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Computers, Maths, Cupcakes and Madness
Welcome To My Year 13 GYG Blog
This is my first ever grow your grades. I had thought about doing one in the past, but never got round to it unfortunately due to covid and starting 6th form and other stuff. I will hopefully just see how it goes and update maybe once or twice a week.

Academics and Grades
GCSEs
Spoiler:
Show

Mathematics (Edexcel) 9
Computer Science (OCR) 9
Music (Edexcel) 9
Biology (AQA) 9
Chemistry (AQA) 9
Physics (AQA) 9
Spanish (AQA) 9
Geography (AQA) 9
English Language (AQA) 9
English Literature (AQA) 8

A Level Subjects and my Target Grades
Spoiler:
Show

Mathematics (Edexcel)
Further Mathematics (Edexcel) - we do decision and stats at our school
Music (Eduquas) - doing musical theatre and 20th century music
Computer Science (AQA)

I'm hoping for A*s across the board but I don't know if thats achievable lol.

Unis I am Applying To
Spoiler:
Show

The unis, courses and typical offers:
  • Oxford - Mathematics and Computer Science - A*AA
  • Birmingham - Mathematics and Computer Science with an Industrial Year - AAA
  • Leicester - Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence - AAB
  • York - Mathematics/Computer Science with a Year in Industry - AAA
  • Manchester - Computer Science and Mathematics - A*AA

About Me
Volunteering
Spoiler:
Show

I volunteer with Girlguiding (with Guides) which I love. I've nearly finished gold D of E which has been a great experience. I am also doing my Queen's Guide Award (the highest award achievable in Girlguiding) whenever I have a spare moment, and getting involved in Girlguiding on a region-wide level.

Music
Spoiler:
Show

I play the clarinet and recently got a distinction in grade 8 performance. I used to go to 2 different orchestras:musicus:, a concert band, wind band :blow: and choir as well as learning music theory. All of this stopped for covid but should hopefully be getting back up and running come September.

Other Hobbies and Interests
Spoiler:
Show

I like to ride my bike :bike: and I am getting better at it even though I am quite unfit lol.
I also bake alot and used to decorate cakes :cake: all the time. Now I only do it when I get the time which isn't very often sadly.
I really really love sloths too.

It's just over a week until I go back to school which is crazy, I can't believe the holidays have gone so fast and I still have so much work to do.
Last edited by Cupcakes12; 4 weeks ago
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
It's 2 days until I go back to school!

I've spent the last couple of days chilling and mentally preparing myself to go back, and also doing odd little jobs that needed doing. My sister helped me to clear out and tidy my desk and sort my stationery, which I really appreciated because it looks great now. Name:  16305240681374380462365794584933.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  71.8 KB
I've also been working on my MAT prep, which is super hard, and keeping up with my supercuricular reading. I'm currently enjoying Alex's Adventures in Numberland.

I got my timetable today. It was a relief to see none of my teachers have changed apart from one who is coming back off maternity leave (thank goodness!) and I am looking forward to being back in the routine of school.

Tomorrow we are going out for brunch because it is my mum's birthday. I also have an eye test and I need to do things like pick out an outfit and pack my bag for Friday. Hopefully I will update again after my first day back, but we'll see how it goes.
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
all the best for this year!! :woo: I’ll try follow along :awesome:
sadforsadboys
Badges: 18
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi bestie, loving your blog so far! Could you please tag me in future updates?
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
(Original post by sadforsadboys)
Hi bestie, loving your blog so far! Could you please tag me in future updates?
(Original post by flaurie)
all the best for this year!! :woo: I’ll try follow along :awesome:
Thanks for the support guys!!
sadforsadboys
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cupcakes12)
Thanks for the support guys!!
YW! Would you like to be tagged in my GYG?
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
(Original post by sadforsadboys)
YW! Would you like to be tagged in my GYG?
Yes please
Foxehh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oo looks good, am following
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
I've finished my first day back at school, and I am exhausted. I feel like I could go to sleep right now. (I did accidentally wake up at 05.20 this morning tho :oops:)

Today we had 2 hours with form tutors to sort out all the back to school admin related stuff. Then I had music, further maths, study then a meeting for early applicants after school (because I am applying for Oxford). My timetable for this year is fabulous and I actually have a good balance of lessons, unlike last year when lots of lessons were clumped together and then I had none more of it for 2 weeks.

My timetable:
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  timetable.jpeg
Views: 27
Size:  134.8 KB

My current to do list:
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  to do list.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  83.5 KB

I don't have that much schoolwork yet, but I expect this to mount up rapidly in the next week. I have a pile of UCAS deadlines and honestly I don't think the number of deadlines I have is going to decrease for the whole year unfortunately.

Good news though, Guides starts again next week and we have 7 new girls starting which is very exciting. Also orchestra and concert band are going back for the first time in about 18 months!!!!

Tags:
Spoiler:
Show
Last edited by Cupcakes12; 1 month ago
sadforsadboys
?
Report 1 month ago
your timetable gives me flashbacks lol- good luck for the new academic year!
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
I've almost finished my first full week back at school, and it has been non stop :run:. Today I handed in my UCAS form which was this week's big stress, but I finally got it done! I also have some tests creeping up on me, but all the teachers are being vague and not telling us exact dates. I know I've got them for complex numbers, correlation and normal distribution, a vectors test resit (the whole class have to do it again as we did quite terribly and only 1 person got over 50%) and possibly also a test on chi squared distribution.

I was running a stall at the societies fair for the new year 12s today so I have a bunch of music work to catch up on which won't be fun. However we did get 4 new people to sign up for maths society (all the other societies had way more people sign up lol) and now I need to email them the time and place once I've confirmed it with my teacher.

We went back to Guides yesterday which was soooo much fun. Next week we are making fires!!!!!!

Tomorrow I have double further maths :eek: and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I also have a driving lesson after school so I will get home late and be super tired :sleep:. But it will be Friday which is a day of chilling and no homework in the evening. And then music centre starts back up on Saturday so I will be back to orchestra and wind band!

Tonight's to do list:
- catch up music work
- clarinet practise
- further maths revision
- normal distribution mixed exercise

Tags:
Spoiler:
Show
Last edited by Cupcakes12; 1 month ago
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
I'm into another week of school, and I feel like it's going relatively ok.

At the weekend I went back to music centre. I got to play bass clarinet in wind band which I loved, although some of the rhythms are tricky and need practise. The only problem is the bass clarinet is a hassle to set up and practise so that is gonna wait til I've got time (never). Orchestra was hard because none of the other clarinet 1s showed up so I had to sight read the music (which is in 5 sharps!!!!) by myself.

I finally did my D of E expedition presentation yesterday evening, which is one stress that has finally just disappeared, because my group was being a bit unreliable unfortunately. We also decided on what we are doing at Rangers this term and we have lots of fun stuff planned!

Yesterday night I also had a bit of a breakdown because I started worrying about if I have made the right decision with my uni choices and the courses (mathematics and computer science mainly), even though nothing is commited yet, as I have only handed it in to school. I am a bit worried that I find maths boring right now, so when I go to uni it will be boring. However my best friend and then my mum talked sense into me and pointed out that I have wanted to do maths for as long as they can remember, so we're sticking with it. I think I need to have a conversation with one of my maths teachers, but the one I really like is off so I need to wait until she's back.

Tonight I am doing some practise questions on radians, here is a picture:
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20210914_173250-12.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  321.3 KB
feat. my dirty face mask oopsie

I also got the first thing to write in the deadlines and exams section of my planner - a complex numbers test next week. I guessed this was coming though so I started revision on it last weekend and I don't have that much left to do. This morning, when I walked into further maths, my teacher instantly said to me "You do music. Come to junior woodwind, I need some familiar faces there" so I guess my Thursday lunchtimes will now be filled with KS3 woodwind players conducted by the head of maths lol. I find it hiliarious that so many of our maths teachers are musicians (2 of them play flute, 1 plays cello and 2 of them did A level music - we only have 7 teachers in the department!!)

My planner:
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20210914_173655.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  114.2 KB
It cost me a whole £2 from the Works

The rest of this week is pretty empty so far, not much going on apart from all the normal lessons and music clubs.

Tags:
Spoiler:
Show
username4878650
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
good luck for this year and your uni apps!
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
(Original post by casabonita)
good luck for this year and your uni apps!
Thank you!!
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm ill which sucks (not covid at least) and it meant I got barely anything done over the weekend. I am currently in study at school and working through a whole chapter of the textbook before we cover it in class. It's arithmetic and geometric sequences and series, which we are supposed to cover in February, but it comes up on MAT so I need to know it before then. I spoke to my teacher to see if it could be moved up to earlier in the year, but the said the head of maths says no.
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Snapchat-1548092953-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  167.4 KB

Last night I was really productive and started on some musical theatre revision after Rangers, which was quite enjoyable for revision ngl.
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20210921_071433-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  117.2 KB

Our music class is dropping like flies unfortunately. We started the year with 11 of us (5 in year 13 and 6 in year 12) but now 3 year 12s have dropped it for good. Apparently we (the yr 13s) scared them off because we know so much more. And 3 people have covid or are waiting for test results as their family members have covid so it makes for a really small class right now.

Other than that I have my further maths complex numbers test this afternoon, which is a little bit scary, but I'm hoping it's not too bad.
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've finally got to the end of this week! It's been dragging on for ages.

My complex numbers test was quite hard but I attempted all the questions and got answers for most of them. I should be getting that back next week.

I have got 2 maths tests next week, a statistics test on Wednesday and a differentiation test on Thursday.

I have just started reading 'letters to a young mathematician' by Ian Stewart. It's very enjoyable and I am sat on a bench by the river where I live reading it right now.
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20210924_173415-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  160.2 KB

I have quite a massive to do list for this weekend :eek3: and also some non school related stuff to get done for guides.
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Screenshot_20210924-173302_Samsung Notes~2-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  139.0 KB

I am finding it very cold when I go out cycling, which I don't find enjoyable. Does anyone have any other suggestions of exercise for a very unsporty person?

Tags:
Spoiler:
Show
I keep forgetting to do this oops
Flobro sadforsadboys
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
eeek I can't believe it's Thursday already!! I'm writing this on the bus so it's probably debatable in quality.

I got my further maths test back on Tuesday, I got 39/48 (81.25%) which is an A*, which is better than I was expecting considering how I felt afterwards.

I've also been enjoying listening to my Harry Potter audio book (it's Deathly Hallows) when I go to bed because I'm too tired to read.

Yesterday was a mess. I cried alot. They're digging up the roads in town so the bus was late, I was on the bus for 1 hour 48 minutes and I was freezing cold and wet. When I got to school at 9.30 they gave me a carrier bag to carry all my stuff in cos it was soaked through. My folder hasn't recovered yet and I'm not sure it ever will. I went to maths to do my maths test and I put my carrier bag of stuff down and it tipped and everything fell out. It was the last straw and I literally just burst into tears and my maths teacher just left me to cry and then I was still crying while doing the test so that's gonna be a fun one to get back lol. Then at lunch I didn't have any food so I had to trek to aldi in the rain to buy something and by the time I got back I had 10 mins to eat and I rushed eating so I felt sick for the rest of the day.

My injured folder:
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20210930_164330.jpg
Size:  235.5 KB

I think everyone's just been having a week of it this week, 2 of mi amigos have spent alot of time crying this week because schoolwork = stress.

Tonight is MAT livestream day, so I'm actually going to do it live for once. I'm absolutely knackered so I may not take anything in, but we'll see how it goes. I also have a D1 past paper to do.

Thank goodness I have Monday off as I really need a day to rest this weekend.

Tags:
Spoiler:
Show
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I can't believe it's been a week since I last posted. I have just finished doing a MAT livestream about recursion, because the MAT for Oxford is in less than a month!! I have also sent off my UCAS application which is quite a relief that it is finally out of mind. :woo:

My time is mostly spent doing homework and MAT prep these days. My desk setup is usually:

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Snapchat-1255676007.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  180.1 KB
This was on Tuesday

On Monday I had a day off, so I went shopping with my family. My dad bought me and my sisters some nice clothes and then we got KFC. We also had a fat browse around Hobbycraft because I really love it. A mini haul:

Spoiler:
Show
Cardigan from New Look - https://www.newlook.com/uk/womens/cl...an/p/685482201

T-shirt from New Look - https://www.newlook.com/uk/womens/cl...op/p/801154672
Fleece from Go Outdoors (it's a men's one because all the women's ones had super short sleeves - unless I just have Mr Tickle arms...) - https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1598675...leece-15986750

Then in the evening I had rangers, we did a tea tasting evening and also made cheesecake, it was soo relaxing and a chill time with my friends.

Spoiler:
Show
We made such a mess :rofl:
Name:  20211004_200425~2.jpg
Size:  172.2 KB

The other good news is my further maths revision guide came! :thumbsup: It's a CGP one. It's also the 1st maths revision guide I've ever used so I'm glad it seems to be helpful so far.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  IMG-20210929-WA0003.jpg
Size:  416.1 KB
on my snazzy harry potter blanket

Tags:

Spoiler:
Show
Attached files
Cupcakes12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I got an offer!

I got an offer for Mathematics and Computer Science from the University of Birmingham!! I'm so excited!! It's for A*AA, which should be ok. But Birmingham is basically my top choice of uni, so I'm over the moon!!

Over the weekend I did a MAT mock (the 2018 paper) and I got 63%, which is ok. This week's MAT livestream is going through this paper so I should get clarification on the questions I didn't really understand, and if not I'll take it to my teacher on Friday.

I also started work on my further maths revision for the series test. I find the Maclaurin series stuff quite hard so it will take some work.

Tags:

Spoiler:
Show
flaurie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ahhh congrats on the offer!!!!! :party: It’s always a relief to get the first one through :yep:

63 is a solid mark, you should be proud of that (esp with ~1 month to go!) Is it early November? Think it was around the 5th last year!

If you need any help with Maclaurin series I can try to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (294)
57.42%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (72)
14.06%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (57)
11.13%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (43)
8.4%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed