Computers, Maths, Cupcakes and Madness

Watch this thread
Cupcakes12
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I meant to update this yesterday but I got distracted watching TV lol. This weekend is a long weekend (Friday and Monday off!) which was very much needed. My to do list for the weekend is quite short, because I also have lots of other plans. Tonight I am going to the Christmas markets with a childhood friend, and tomorrow I am celebrating a friends 18th, and on Monday my sisters and I are going Christmas shopping together. Here it is - including what I've done so far:

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20211126_171247.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  213.1 KB
I also finished the integration questions since taking this photo.

I succumbed to Black Friday, and after saying I wasn't going to buy anything, I treated myself to a whole new outfit lol.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  new look.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  28.6 KB
I feel like you can tell that New Look is one of my favourite shops.

I am also organising my friends to get stuff together for a shoebox which will be going to women who were victims of domestic violence. So far we have collected and bought most of the things we need, in fact I think we possibly have enough for 2 shoeboxes, which is great!

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  IMG-20211126-WA0002.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  454.2 KB

In terms of work, school have told us not to do too much over the weekend, to rest and recharge but also to make sure we are organised to start properly revising come Tuesday. My first mock (maths) is in 39 days. I have created topic lists for maths and further maths, and have even got a specific list of what I half revised last year in a hurry before mocks so need to look over again. I need to do the same thing with computing and probably also music.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Snapchat-1192766787.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  139.0 KB
My revision lists:
Name:  20211126_171337.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  138.5 KB
Name:  20211126_171349.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  116.1 KB

My timed essay in music didn't seem to go that badly. It's honestly amazing how much I can squeeze out of my brain when I am under pressure. Whether any of it makes sense is another matter. :lol:

This seems like a very picture-full post so it will probably take forever to upload.

Tags:

Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Thanks for the update - your revision looks so organised!

There's some great revision resources on Dr Frost here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...term=A%20Level

What a lovely idea to do those shoeboxes. We help with a Christmas lunch for those on their own but I guess we might be delvering meals again rather than gathering people together ... at least we can say hello and ensure they do see another human being.

Hang in there
Cupcakes12
Rep:
A Decision From Oxford

I finally got an email from Oxford today. I got rejected. 🙁 Honestly at the moment I am not sad at all, just relieved I don't have to worry about an interview. Now at least I get to focus solely on my mock revision, and my plans for my 18th! 🍾🎉

We also got our reports today, which is a little bit scary but I'm overall very happy with it. One of my teachers used the exact same phrase in this report as he wrote in last years! 😂

(Original post by Muttley79)
Thanks for the update - your revision looks so organised!

There's some great revision resources on Dr Frost here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...term=A%20Level

What a lovely idea to do those shoeboxes. We help with a Christmas lunch for those on their own but I guess we might be delvering meals again rather than gathering people together ... at least we can say hello and ensure they do see another human being.

Hang in there
Thank you! It's nice to hear my revision looks organised - it certainly doesn't feel it! 🙃 I use Dr Frost resurces already, and also physics and maths tutor for PPQs. My plan for tonight is to do all the homework I got today (as for once I don't already have a backlog) and then do some musical theatre revision because I keep putting it off.

Tags:
Cupcakes12
Rep:
I went to an offer holder day yesterday. I went by myself on the train, and I was one of only a couple of people who didn't have parents with them. I really enjoyed everything about it, and the maths department seemed fantastic. I also met up with a friend who is in her first year doing chemical engineering and we had a good chat and looked round the accomodation.

I did revision on the train, I revised volumes of revolution and probability generating functions for further maths.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  IMG-20211204-WA0000.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  210.2 KB

Today I have a music past paper question to do. I also probably ought to do some more revision because I have a trig test on Tuesday. And I really need to stop putting off doing computing revision - although we have been given a new revision resource which I am starting to like.

My New Look order also arrived and everything fits which I am very happy about.

Tags:

Muttley79
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hope the test goes well -

Year 13 is about kicking everything ticking over - a juggling act - once you have offers it is easier to focus

Hope the trig test goes well - cos it'll be a sine that you are on track
Cupcakes12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
The trig test seemed to go well. I also had an applied maths test which had conditional probability and moments (a weird combination) on it, which I only half revised for, however it seemed to go ok.

I made a note of all thequestions on a music ppaper, because it is quite important to know and they are all different. We all ask my teacher basically every lesson because we always forget again, so this time I wrote it down.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  IMG-20211214-WA0000.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  189.5 KB

I have made a full revision plan for now up until mocks - my 1st exam is 3 weeks today! I managed to do everything on my revision plan yesterday, which I was quite impressed with tbh because normally I'm not very good at sticking to plans. I've colour coded all the subjects and written the plan for each day into my diary.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20211209_202358.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  127.6 KB
Name:  20211209_202403.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  132.2 KB
Name:  20211209_202409.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  107.9 KB

The only other thing to mention is that I have completely abandoned my nice tidy desk photos.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20211214_184741.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  128.4 KB

Recently it was my birthday....

Spoiler:
Show
and I turned.....
Name:  20211210_192803.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  283.5 KB
81!!!!!

Tags:

Muttley79
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Good to hear the tests went OK.

You are so much more orgnaised than the vast majority of my students! I may 'borrow' some of your ideas to show what other students do ...

Love the cake btw - hope you had a great day and managed to celebrate

Do take a break over Christmas - a week I'd suggest - you need to be refreshed before 2022.
Cupcakes12
Rep:
I thought I'd do one final little update before Christmas (and probably the last update of 2021). I have got 2 more days of studying planned, before I go into full holiday mode and clear all the work and revision from off my desk and bedroom floor.

I have sort of stuck to my revision plan so far - I slacked off a bit on Friday night and I've sort if ben playing catch up ever since, particularly with music. I've decided to not worry about it too much though, I'll just get as much done as I can before the exam and anything that doesn't get done doesn't really matter. (I might need reminding of that right before an exam when I suddenly remember all the things I don't really know. lol.)

This afternoon I did some computing revision on smart revise, a bit of maths practise and some chi squared flashcards then practise. I also intend to revise Haydn movement 4 once I've had a bit of a break.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Snapchat-351782774.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  122.6 KB

I made some gingerbread men :candycane:

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20211217_164930.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  202.5 KB

Also look what made it into my 2021 top played.......

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Screenshot_20211219-142456_Amazon Music.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  61.8 KB
It's one of my set works :rofl3:

:holly2::candycane::holly2::candycane::holly2::candycane::holly2::candycane::holly2::candycane::holly2::candycane::holly2:
:holly:Merry Christmas!!!:holly:
:holly2::candycane::holly2::candycane::holly2::candycane::holly2::candycane::holly2::candycane::holly2::candycane::holly2:

and :hnn:
see you in 2022!!!!!

Tags:
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for the update - I wish all my students were so organised!

Mocks are formative assessments ie use them to target revision for the 'real' exams

I'm pleased to hear you are planning a proper break - you need it.

Have a lovely Christmas :grouphugs:
Cupcakes12
Rep:
Thank you, you too 😊
Cupcakes12
Rep:
It's time for my 1st update of 2022!!!! My mocks start in 3 days eeek :s-smilie:. I have one day back in school on Tuesday which I don't really see the point of tbh because then we start study leave on Wednesday. Then my exam timetable is:

Wednesday 1.30pm Maths
Friday 9am Music
Monday 9am Computing
Tuesday 9am Further Maths

Then back to normal timetable of lessons on Wednesday. At least I don't have to go into school at all on Thursday (there is no way I am going in just for an hour of orchestra after school!!)

I think my revision plan has been going ok, but I guess I'll find out when I get into my exams lmao. Today I finished my flash cards on integration and did some more practise. The key to getting integration seems to be just doing tonnes of questions because it makes so much more sense now than it did at about the start of December.

I've abandoned making more flash cards for further maths because I've sort of lost track of what I have and haven't done because I stopped fully sticking to the plan and started a few topics and never finished them. I'm now just putting all the focus on past paper questions.

I've started using the app forest 🌳 to keep track of my productive time. At the moment I can't decide if it's actually useful or just another distraction lol. Anyway, here's yesterday's forest:

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Screenshot_20220102-090956_Forest.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  72.1 KB
I did 2 hours 29 minutes of productive work.

This morning I did music revision for the 2nd and 3rd movements of Mendelssohn Symphony No. 4 so I just need to do the 4th movement and some wider listening then I should be good for the development of the symphony.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20220102_101140.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  132.7 KB

I also came to the realisation that I seriously need to be doing more clarinet practise, as my A level performance is going to be in March/April :eek:.

I hope everyone else is doing ok following Christmas and New Year, it feels like a scary time at the moment with covid and I'm quite worried about it so I hope everyone else is coping.

Tags:

P.S. If anyone's interested in lots of my random photos of work and other stuff, I've started being active on my studygram again. (I think I need to come up with a much better name for it tho tbh.)
Cupcakes12
Rep:
Mini Mid Mock Update

Halfway through my mocks! Maths was fine, I think. It was quite hard, but not harder than I was expecting. I finished it all and it all pretty much all made sense.

The music exam felt alot harder. It probably didn't help that I got all stressed out about it on the way to school and cried on the bus. I did answer all of the questions but some of them I had to go back to at the end and just had to completely guess because they were listening questions.

Yesterday and today I have mainly focussed on computing revision because it's harder. I've worked though a fat ton of past paper questions. I've also done a bit of further maths, I can do some more tomorrow. After Tuesday I may end up regretting the amount of further maths revision I've done, but I guess we'll see.

Tags:
Last edited by Cupcakes12; 4 months ago
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hang in there - in some ways the mocks are worse because they are jammed in to a shorter time than the summer exams.
Cupcakes12
Rep:
Hang in there - in some ways the mocks are worse because they are jammed in to a shorter time than the summer exams.
Thanks!

I'm currently sat in a study at school and I have nothing to do because I've had no lessons since finishing mocks, so I thought I might as well do another update lol.

I've survived my mocks! Computing was suspiciously easy, and it was 60 marks in 2 hours which seemed a bit odd. One if my friends counted the marks available and she said there were only actually 55 lol. There were also some pages missing because i jad page 5, 7 and 9 but no page 6 or 8, and I don't know if that was intentional or not (no-one else had these pages though either). My mum said I should have told the invigilator but I mean it's a bit late to do anything about it now. I don't really know what's going on with it, and my teacher's been off since Christmas so we can't ask her. Computing really stresses me out tbh. I've got a paper 1 computing mock next Friday so I'm starting some revision on that tonight (maybe that's what I should be doing now in my study).

Further maths was intense. However I was expecting it to be. It was a 2 hour paper with a mixture of pure and stats and decision questions because my school decided we can only have one mock per subject. I'm glad that the actual exams are only 90 minutes because I feel like the last 1/2 hour is the hardest where I really start to feel tired and can't think properly anymore (this only happens in further maths cos it's so hard lmao). The 1st 2 questions on the paper really threw me but after that it seemed ok. The only other disaster was the chi squared question which I started doing as a binomial hypothesis test by mistake. I feel like when I realised I was doing it wrong I should have started again but instead I just crossed out the really wrong things and tried to make sense of it. My teacher's gonna have a fun time marking that one 😂.

I've also developed a ridiculous spiderman obsession since seeing the new film over Christmas. It's a bit weird because I had only ever seen Homecoming and Far From Home and the 1st one with Andrew Garfield in it before then. I'm not even really into all the MCU films - there's just random ones that I like. Now I want to watch all of them including the ones I've already seen again and I keep watching random interviews and stuff on YouTube. I really need to drop it tho because I do not have time to be fuelling this obsession 😬😬.

I'm gonna be off to a clarinet lesson for the second half of my study period, so thankfully I don't have to waste any more time.

Tags:

Cupcakes12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I feel like it's been a little while since I last updated, so this could be a big one. This week has been quite a long and busy week.

I had my music mock back and we've gone through 2 of the sections in class. I got:
Spoiler:
Show
70/100 (I think - some of the marks ended up getting changed because the scores had the wrong bar numbers 😮) which was an A*. Grade boundaries aren't really that reliable in music though, because obviously it depends on how your coursework goes.

I'm hoping to improve my essay technique some more because I got 10/15 and I know I can do better. I'm going to do a bit more wider listening that I can reference, but mainly I need to focus on essay technique. I feel like that's something I struggle with because I'm not really an essay person and none of my other subjects are really wordy.

I think I've finished my composition. It's 2 minutes and 2 seconds long, and now it has no empty bars. I'm probably gonna do a few more tweaks over the weekend and in Monday's lesson, and then hand it in and ask for some feedback. Then I'll have a few more concrete targets to work on so I can make it as good as possible. I really want to do well in my coursework, because then it just takes the pressure off the exam a bit.

Here's a random picture of some differential equations cos that's what we're doing in maths:
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  20220115_121141.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  112.6 KB

Today I had my second computing mock. It was abysmal. The 1st section had 2 questions on reverse polish notation, despite us not having learnt it, and the class having a conversation with our teacher about how we are going to move on to that topic once we have finished vectors. Section B really baffled me when I first looked at it. I tried to do it but then gave up and decided I would come back to it. I think section C was fine. Section D was where it really went downhill. I spent far far too long on a little 3 marker 🤦. Then I did the next question, which also took too long. By the time I got to the last question I had 20 minutes to do the last 9 marker in section D plus the whole of section B (13 marks maybe?) This was never gonna work, so I prioritised section B and got a sensible ish solution so I'm hoping that's ok. For the last question I basically didn't answer it because I didn't have time and I didn't really understand what it was asking.

Tomorrow night I'm babysitting, hopefully shouldn't be much effort and it's just a bit of extra cash honestly. I'm trying to put some away in savings for uni.

We are getting part of our further maths mock back on Tuesday because it was split into 2 sections (one for each teacher). I don't even know if we will be getting an overall grade or even if the other half will have been marked. I'm not really looking forward to it 😬 because it's the harder section so probably went worse.

My to do list for the weekend:
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Snapchat-1332949505.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  71.3 KB

Now I'm just gonna sit and relax and watch Death in Paradise with a cup of tea.

Tags:
Last edited by Cupcakes12; 3 months ago
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for the update

Well done on the Music ... why not ask your teacher for advice on essays? It might be worth looking at the examiner reports too.

Hope the maths is OK - remember tests are a way of showing you areas you need to work on so use them to target revision. If you start with the areas where you got some marks you'll make rapid progress.
Cupcakes12
Rep:
Thanks for the update

Well done on the Music ... why not ask your teacher for advice on essays? It might be worth looking at the examiner reports too.

Hope the maths is OK - remember tests are a way of showing you areas you need to work on so use them to target revision. If you start with the areas where you got some marks you'll make rapid progress.
Oooh looking at examiners reports is a good idea. We're gonna be having a bit of a focus on essay technique with one of my teachers because she said the whole class had "forgotten how to structure essays" and we all focus on too much detail rather than an overview.
Cupcakes12
Rep:
I've had a couple more mock exam results back this week.
Computing paper 2:

Spoiler:
Show
A*
I didn't write down my score or percentage but I think it was around 80%

Further maths:

Spoiler:
Show
25/34 = 73.5% = A
this is only 1 teacher's section of the paper tho, I'm hoping I did better in the other section as I really want to get an A*

My weekend is just full of doing a load of my computing coursework, as I sort of let it spiral out of control a little bit and now I have just about a month to finish it and tonnes to do. Thankfully I can just spend the whole of half term doing coursework if I need to because I have no other plans.

Tags:
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hope the coursework goes well ... it's good to finish before major revision starts.

Here to cheer you on
Cupcakes12
Rep:
Not had the rest of my mocks back yet, we have parents evening next Tuesday though so we have to have them back before then. I think 2 teachers said we will have them back on Thursday.

Today I've had a really productive evening. I did some maths revision on functions - I filled out the topic mat my teacher gave us and then I wrote some flash cards. I also did clarinet practise, and planned a guide meeting for tomorrow. Now I'm doing some further calculus flash cards.
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Snapchat-873881647.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  97.6 KB
(I can't figure out how to make the picture not sideways lol)
Name:  20220201_192816.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  218.8 KB

I think I may have discovered the secret to being super productive in the evening, which is when I get bored and sort of tired and would usually just finish what I'm doing before geting into bed, I just have a break before I reach that point (and I don't get distracted on my phone), and then afterwards I feel refreshed and I can have about another productive hour, just because I had like a 20 minute break. In my mini break today I made my lunch for tomorrow and watched the last 10 minutes of Line of Duty. It's sort of become my current obsession right now. I did nearly die of shock when I found out Martin Compston was Scottish, because I was not expecting that at all. A friend told me about the Shrine of Duty podcast, which I really want to listen to (probably on the bus) but it only starts from season 5 onwards and I've only just finished season 4 episode 1.

I'm just gonna finish this topic (probably not even the whole topic at this rate) and then I'm gonna go to bed.

Tags:
Last edited by Cupcakes12; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (50)
33.78%
The paper was reasonable (60)
40.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (24)
16.22%
It was TERRIBLE (14)
9.46%

Watched Threads