Tips for History / essay based A Levels

Watch this thread
Montinaguinea
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi ! I’m about the start year 12 and I’ve picked history, politics and economics as my a levels ! I was wondering if anyone could give subject specific advice. I did really good at gcse with most of my essay subjects (except for English (which I know is important for essay subjects 😅) ). But I struggle with time management and writing essays without extensive planning. So if anyone had tips for that I would be grateful !
LoverOfBooks
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Hi! I'm a History, Politics and English Literature student going into Year 13. Something that really helped me in Year 12 was asking teachers to be really clear with how to lay out essays. A lot of the time they're more than happy to give you specific essay layouts because I know that in history, especially, they change a lot with source questions and 'to what extent do you agree' questions.
For timing, I would say that every time you get set an essay for homework or anything, try to handwrite it and try to do it in the timed conditions that you'll be given in the exam just to get all the practice in.
Specifically for history, I would suggest having really good knowledge on the specific subject before writing the essay because a lot of the time, if you have the knowledge on the page then you can get a lot of the marks.
And if you struggle with the planning part, my politics teacher always says that it sometimes helps to leave the introduction to last, so leave half a page before writing and then come back to it so you can clearly outline your argument. But a lot of people waste time on the introduction when all you really need to do is state your argument and then say what you will be discussing in the essay.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
For History, there is good essay advice in this book - its also good on exam technique - and may prove useful for other subjects : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-Hi.../dp/B07Z1PW5CX
Another useful one for English : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-En.../dp/0521690145
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (15)
25.42%
The paper was reasonable (26)
44.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (12)
20.34%
It was TERRIBLE (6)
10.17%

Watched Threads