Unit 18 - Poverty and health

Watch this thread
Raimundo79
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Can someone help me please?
I am an old student (nearly 50) trying to finish my Access course but i am stuck in this unit. I have never asked for help in any unit but for some reason my brain is not going for this one.
The course material is so confusing and online doesn't get any better. Spend the last 4 days around this and got nowhere.
I have to write a journal article covering the following:
-Two sociological approaches to poverty and health
-How social scientist research and government initiatives have provided a greater insight into the link between poverty and health
- explain how political perspectives used in medical sociology are linked to patterns of health by providing an example of a factor that can impact health chances.

Any help would be amazing and i would be so grateful.
MeganSiddown
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Hey There!!
That does sound tough - I personally did not have to cover this model but I am about to qualify so I'll try my best to throw some ideas your way.

Two Sociological Approaches to poverty and health:
- Well I would advise that you focus on 2 approaches that are directly challenging poverty (as Poverty will always effect health so don't stress trying to find an approach that covers both). I found this website that seems to be quite useful:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/bo...apter/poverty/

How social scientist research and government initiatives have provided a greater insight into the link between poverty and health:
- I'd focus on the link between both Smoking (and its health effects) + Poverty and/or Obesity + Poverty as these are the things the government has tried to tackle the most. For smoking the NHS GPs run a stop smoking group which is free (therefore accessible) and for obesity introduction of "Free School Meals" and "5 A Day Scheme" were fundamental in these changes for people on the breadline. There are many more schemes they have created around these topics too.

Explain how political perspectives used in medical sociology are linked to patterns of health by providing an example of a factor that can impact health chances:
- a really good recent example of this was the Conservative Government redacting the "Free School Meals" however it has now been re-implemented. Also recent privitisation of some areas of the NHS under Conservative Government and how this reduces accessibility to healthcare for those that are living on the breadline. I'd advise you to research statistics regarding the number of self reported smokers / smoking related deaths and if that declined following the introduction of the Stop Smoking Groups. Also statistics around childhood obesity following implementation of "Free School Meals" and / or "5 A Day" Scheme.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful?

Let me know if you have any other questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads