How to improve my english!!

Watch this thread
KerryChen
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I don't know how to improve my english! And i am afraid of talking with my teachers due to my poor english (i am not a native speaker
Cupcakehugs
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by KerryChen)
I don't know how to improve my english! And i am afraid of talking with my teachers due to my poor english (i am not a native speaker
the way how i improved my english was forcing myself to speak to others. one of the most effective ways to learn english is by having conversations with others. it can be a bit embarrassing when you make a mistake but it is worth it x
also try watching youtubers that speak English and watch movies, they help too xxx
KerryChen
Rep:
(Original post by Cupcakehugs)
the way how i improved my english was forcing myself to speak to others. one of the most effective ways to learn english is by having conversations with others. it can be a bit embarrassing when you make a mistake but it is worth it x
also try watching youtubers that speak English and watch movies, they help too xxx
I will try. Thanks!
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
hey i'm an immigrant and have english as a second language - i would personally say that watching english tv or youtubers helps a ton and you get used to different accents and the slang (for example someone from sheffield will have a different accent compared to someone from bristol, etc). reading books and talking to friends who are native speakers also helps as usually they will want to help up improve. however, i learned english back when i was 8 and now i'm 16 so it might be more difficult depending on age etc
KerryChen
Rep:
(Original post by 273544)
hey i'm an immigrant and have english as a second language - i would personally say that watching english tv or youtubers helps a ton and you get used to different accents and the slang (for example someone from sheffield will have a different accent compared to someone from bristol, etc). reading books and talking to friends who are native speakers also helps as usually they will want to help up improve. however, i learned english back when i was 8 and now i'm 16 so it might be more difficult depending on age etc
Thank you
KerryChen
Rep:
Would you mind to recommend some english tv for me. It always difficult to choose one
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
what sort of things are you interested in?
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
what sort of things are you interested in?
car shows with humour : grand tour, the old top gears (when clarkson, may and hammond were still presenters), our man in japan, gordon, gino and fred's road trip

reality tv: love island (this is very popular in the uk), the only way is essex, made in chelsea, first dates, married at first sight uk (this is just coming out though), educating essex or educating greater manchester, the circle, teen mom uk - these tv shows help with knowing and understanding different accents more and understanding british culture and slang way more
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
historical/time period dramas: downton abbey, the tutors, call the midwife, the crown, victoria- these shows help understand some of britain's history more

baking and cooking shows: the great british bake off, master chef, come dine with me, nadiya bakes, my million pound menu, kitchen nightmares, hells kitchen

house/architecture based shows: ugly house to lovely house, a place in the sun, dream house makeover, escape to the chateau, the world's most extraordinary houses, grand designs

fashion and beauty related shows: next in fashion, say yes to the dress uk, britain's next makeup star, rupaul's drag race uk, britain's next top model
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
btw (by the way) you can dm if you want any help with anything english related
GauthMath_Loan
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Some pointers-
Speak slowly. Don't try to speak everything in 10 seconds. If you take your time and go slow, you will have enough time to think new words.
Listen to Ted Talks and other conversations. New words and interesting ways of communicating ideas can be found/learned by listening to others speak.
Don't be afraid. Your teacher will not kill you, or worse expel you from school. They are a human being too. If you ask for their help, I am sure they'll help you improve.
Analyze yourself. Stand in front of a mirror or record your voice and see where you have problems.
Speak more. The more you speak, the better you'll get over \time. I am not a native speaker myself but over time, communicating in English with teachers and peers has improved me a lot.
maniali123
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Remember!!! Don’t get deep into English grammar you will get lost , just listen and speak.
maniali123
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Would you mind to recommend some english tv for me. It always difficult to choose one
There are sitcoms on Youtube and if you are a movie fan you can watch it on netflix or any other site.
maniali123
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
You learned at 8 , so are you good at grammar?
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by maniali123)
You learned at 8 , so are you good at grammar?
umm hard to say, i'm better at grammar in tests and essays compared to online. i got an 8 in literature and 7 in english language, if that means anything.... i'm also doing a level literature atm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (13)
31.71%
Take a gap year (10)
24.39%
Resit my exams (7)
17.07%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (5)
12.2%
I don't know yet (3)
7.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
7.32%

Watched Threads