Turn on thread page Beta

Tales of a comprehensive boy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so glad we dont have comprehensives here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    no im not missing the point.

i agree education should be quite far reaching and not for the sake of exams but literacy and numeracy are so basic that you should be able to speak/write and do basic calculations with no problems!
    There are just two many circumstances that get in the way though, its a bit stereotypical to say that you are not educated if you can't spell or add up. My maths isn't that bad anyway I can do a day to day calculation I need to and I know enough fo the more complex stuff do my job.

People just have different ideas of what basic skills are, I consider a basic skill knowing that Praque is in the Czech republic and used to under a communist government, however according to the media most 14-16 year olds have don't even know who Micheal Howard is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    You must be one of the people that comprehensive schools really worked well for. In many aspects apart from GCSEs my school did provide me with a good education. It was one of the few schools that let me do Electronics for GCSE and even though I am useless at soldering its great to be able to fix electical faults on my dads car, wire in new circuits, and also have a good understanding of how things work like CD players or amplifiers.

The teachers taught of a lot of useful things that were not in the sylabus but were very useful, too many schools concentrate on exam results and I believe people miss out on an education because of this, instead they are effectly taught by robots.
    That's exactly right - I got myself involved in stuff (there was lots going on) that I was interested in - from bands etc.. to just doing some electronics as part of sound and lighting - fixing cd players as you say, building computers, helping out here and there and i have to say i enjoyed it!

Rather than teaching someone an exam it's all about what you learn about the subject and how useful this is for the future. And very much the way it's done so it's not just feeding information.

ReputationRep:
    There are just two many circumstances that get in the way though, its a bit stereotypical to say that you are not educated if you can't spell or add up. My maths isn't that bad anyway I can do a day to day calculation I need to and I know enough fo the more complex stuff do my job.

People just have different ideas of what basic skills are, I consider a basic skill knowing that Praque is in the Czech republic and used to under a communist government, however according to the media most 14-16 year olds have don't even know who Micheal Howard is.
    the majority leaving school are only at a "basic" level of education and know little about the world.

ReputationRep:
    i cant believe you think pure general knowledge is more important than language!

you ARENT educated if you cant add up/spell; you may be knowledgeable but really, if you keep making damn silly mistakes then i dont care how much you know! (unless youre like, einstein or something)

(oh and thats Prague and Michael Howard :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Surely basic skills are the ones that allow you to acquire knowledge easily, rather than knowledge itself. With basic literacy and numeracy, you should be able to get a basic understanding of most topics.

ReputationRep:
    i cant believe you think pure general knowledge is more important than language!

you ARENT educated if you cant add up/spell; you may be knowledgeable but really, if you keep making damn silly mistakes then i dont care how much you know! (unless youre like, einstein or something)

actually...its praha and michael hecht :p:

oooh the pedant technik

ReputationRep:
    I type about 100wpm how do you think I can get so much work done with such a high post count? It takes me seconds to write a reply like this, if I had to poof read everything I write it would take ages. Those two examples are typos, however there are words I cannot spell and my grammar isn't always perfect but when writing important reports I always take great care to make sure its spelt correctly and uses good english.

I don't consider myself to have a brillaint education but I do consider myself to be educated. Some people are just better at things than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    actually...its praha and michael hecht :p:

oooh the pedant technik
    haha but since we're in england (well, i am anyway) i was using the anglicised versions :p:

ReputationRep:
    I type about 100wpm how do you think I can get so much work done with such a high post count? It takes me seconds to write a reply like this, if I had to poof read everything I write it would take ages. Those two examples are typos, however there are words I cannot spell and my grammar isn't always perfect but when writing important reports I always take great care to make sure its spelt correctly and uses good english.

I don't consider myself to have a brillaint education but I do consider myself to be educated. Some people are just better at things than others.
    oh please, reading a few sentences will take at most another 30 seconds. most time you can 'feel' the mistakes in your typing (well, i can anyway!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Surely basic skills are the ones that allow you to acquire knowledge easily, rather than knowledge itself. With basic literacy and numeracy, you should be able to get a basic understanding of most topics.
    Yes but that dosn't mean you need to understand the full details of Hamlet to be able to work out how to rewire a house or plumb in a bathroom suite. Believe it or not these require a good amount of numeracy and literacy as well. To rewire the house for example you have to be able to calculate how much cable you need, what ampage circuits are going to draw, what fuses will be required in the fuse box etc. Its basic stuff but without a basic education you would be able to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Since there's a tendency to autobiography in these kinds of threads ... try going from an estate to a public school. That can really give you an odd perspective on things.
    Oh, I wasn't saying anything about culture shock or trying to outdo anyone. Just saying that, while I don't have direct experience of a comp, I have a little insight...

ReputationRep:

Your grammar ain't much cop, kiddo...

Glass houses, my friend.

I just think you're being a little harsh. Especially when nobody's perfect.

Besides, it's only in junior school that kids get sat down and taught spellings. So I don't think it has any bearing on the education that he, or anyone, has received.

ReputationRep:
    What they should do is just have tighter control of local money, i.e money made from Lodnon should not be spent in Manchester vice versa. So all council taxes are used to pay for education in Manchester.
    Are you nuts? Wales's social security would be on a par with Poland's. That's just not the way the treasury works. You would end up with a similar situation of 200 years ago with every flocking to ever growing cities! Have you really thought this through?

As for Grammar/Comp etc. I think that there should be no Grammar Schools. Comprehensive schools are only "bad" in areas where all the best kids go to the Grammar and all the others are left to rot. Academically, subjects are set so you work at your level (no chance of dumbing down) and if you can't handle having to socialize with people who aren't as intelligent as you then you are going to have a hard time later in life.

ReputationRep:

you have a poof reading over your posts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feedtheflamingo)
    Are you nuts? Wales's social security would be on a par with Poland's. That's just not the way the treasury works. You would end up with a similar situation of 200 years ago with every flocking to ever growing cities! Have you really thought this through?

As for Grammar/Comp etc. I think that there should be no Grammar Schools. Comprehensive schools are only "bad" in areas where all the bst kids go to the Grammar and all the others are left to rot. Academically, all subjects are set so you work at your level (no chance of dumbing down) and if you can't handle having to socialize with people who aren't as intelligent as you then you are going to have a hard time later in life.
    Ok it may not be such a good idea, but Wales as has a much smaller population, and maybe the schools would be run better if London had nothing to with it.

I do think grammar schools work as longs as you don't foce the 11+ on people who don't want to go to grammar schools. I think it is important that people have a choice when it comes down to education. Its just a shame that a lot of people cannot see past league tables.

ReputationRep:
    People should have a choice. A choice between getting a state education in a Comprehensive school with children of all ability or paying for a private school which will also be full of children of all abilities. Why should we separate our children into those who can sit an exam and pass and those who can't? Why is it so awful that intelligent children should mix with children of lower academic ability?

As for your crazy economic theories, it sounds like you are advocating an independent Manchester state.

ReputationRep:
    As for your crazy economic theories, it sounds like you are advocating an independent Manchester state.
    There was a toungue-in-cheek report on the local London news about Greater London declaring independence. It was great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Your grammar ain't much cop, kiddo...

Glass houses, my friend.

I just think you're being a little harsh. Especially when nobody's perfect.

Besides, it's only in junior school that kids get sat down and taught spellings. So I don't think it has any bearing on the education that he, or anyone, has received.
    que?

ReputationRep:
    People should have a choice. A choice between getting a state education in a Comprehensive school with children of all ability or paying for a private school which will also be full of children of all abilities. Why should we separate our children into those who can sit an exam and pass and those who can't? Why is it so awful that intelligent children should mix with children of lower academic ability?

Not a Manchester state as such, I am just fed up of too many issues being decided in London, the Manchester Metrolink expansion is a classic example. I would like education policies, tax rates and transport issues to decided by a north west parliment covering Lancashire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside. Then if they feel a grammar school system is best for the North West they can implement it without it affecting whats going on in the London or the rest of the country.

I think interest rates, NHS policies, higher education and qualification outlines should of course be controled by central government.

An example is Liverpool and Manchester both want to ban public smoking, but at the moment London based government says no.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.