Tales of a comprehensive boy Watch

This discussion is closed.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by feedtheflamingo)
Well your ex-girlfriend is a clear example of why freedom of opportunity should be important to those designing the education system! She obviously fell foul of a system that uses an exam at 11 years old to condemn you to a second rate education. If she is such a genius then why was she not in the Grammar school? Your argument shows the problems with the system!

The separation of children serves no purpose!
she wasnt condemned to a second rate education. hence she was educated to a level that attained the grades. thats the point.

you'll know, if you have sense, that no method of selection can be 100% accurate. and dont attempt the "but comprehensives remove selection" because they dont. it just moves the selection inside the school itself with tiers and sets etc.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Would ever gave me the neg rep please send me a PM with the reasons you send it instead of being a coward? I am subsribing soon anyway so I will find out who sent it.
olddeblasio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes but internal selection (tiers and sets etc.) can be remedied easily! Mistakes don't involve moving school!
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Would ever gave me the neg rep please send me a PM with the reasons you send it instead of being a coward? I am subsribing soon anyway so I will find out who sent it.
how many points did you lose?

it wasnt me btw!
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by technik)
how many points did you lose?

it wasnt me btw!
I know it wasn't I lost about 20 points. Not bothered about that, it just annoys me when people don't bother signing it or leaving an explanation. If I ever leave neg rep which is rare these days I always sign it and say why I am giving it.
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I went to a really crap secondary school, one of the worst school in the country, 15% 5 A-C pass rate i think. Only people in crap secondary school would understand what goes on in those kinda school.

I have learn alot tho, coming from a secondary school

IMO, a person from a crap secondary school who get C's can easily get A's or A*'s at a good state or grammer school, and a person who get A's and A*'s at a good state or grammer school can easily fail every subject at a crap secondary school.

The people at my secondary school weren't necessary stupid, they were just not willing to learn and wouldn't appreciate the importances of a good education. Peer factor, and street culture also is a factor. I don't blame them, when you don't get a english and literature teacher for 6 months..........l :eek:

When you don't do well at secondary school, you don't have the confidence to do well in college and sixth form. You also don't have the necessary grounding for advanced level work.

Thats all i gotta say

:hello:
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by guest1984)
IMO, a person from a crap secondary school who get C's can easily get A's or A*'s at a good state or grammer school, and a person who get A's and A*'s at a good state or grammer school can easily fail every subject at a crap secondary school.
applying logic in place of the components of your statement leads to a false outcome.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know it wasn't I lost about 20 points. Not bothered about that, it just annoys me when people don't bother signing it or leaving an explanation. If I ever leave neg rep which is rare these days I always sign it and say why I am giving it.
hmm 20 points either suggests : kikzen, or someone just reading the thread but not participating.
AT82
Rep:
?
hmm 20 points either suggests : kikzen, or someone just reading the thread but not participating.
It wasn't Kikzen, I do know that much. It dosn't matter I will find out who it was.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It wasn't Kikzen, I do know that much. It dosn't matter I will find out who it was.
It was me.
Stop whining about going to a comphrensive.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by edders)
It was me.
Stop whining about going to a comphrensive.
you're alive! :eek:
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
haha cheeky *******! i always sign rep :p:
topdude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i feel there should be more goverment run-selective schools, that way only the clever kids will get in, and the teachers should be top of the range.

just 2 add, my family chose 2 send me to a normal school, although they could have sent me to a private school, as they thought it would make me into a snob, and i can still get good grades ina normal school, just like my elder cousins did. they were completly right. most the kids in my area go to private schools, and i never thought they were snobs as they were always alright with me. then friends from school would come round my house, and i bumped into the local kids the things they ask are what does ur dad do, what does he drive.....these people really annoy me and im just glad i didnt go 2 private school as it doesnt allow u to see a spectrum of lifestlyes people have.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by topdude)
i feel there should be more goverment run-selective schools, that way only the clever kids will get in, and the teachers should be top of the range.

just 2 add, my family chose 2 send me to a normal school, although they could have sent me to a private school, as they thought it would make me into a snob, and i can still get good grades ina normal school, just like my elder cousins did. they were completly right. most the kids in my area go to private schools, and i never thought they were snobs as they were always alright with me. then friends from school would come round my house, and i bumped into the local kids the things they ask are what does ur dad do, what does he drive.....these people really annoy me and im just glad i didnt go 2 private school as it doesnt allow u to see a spectrum of lifestlyes people have.
This is all fine until you say top of the range teachers. This is the only thing i have against grammars, is that they may attract the best teachers, luckily I know this is not the case, because there is a lot of very good teachers out there that would rather work in a rough comprehensive than a 'posh' grammar school.

Private schools are a bit different becuase of higher salaries. It must be easier teaching in a grammar than a comprehensive.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I never sign neg rep it just encourages retalliation. However I agree this is just another chance for a moan. Most people don't have the privilege of going to fabulous public schools. Get over it. I didn't go to one and my education was crappy but you make the best out of what you did get,
topdude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This is all fine until you say top of the range teachers. This is the only thing i have against grammars, is that they may attract the best teachers, luckily I know this is not the case, because there is a lot of very good teachers out there that would rather work in a rough comprehensive than a 'posh' grammar school.

Private schools are a bit different becuase of higher salaries. It must be easier teaching in a grammar than a comprehensive.
thats why i believe private schools should just get scraped then grammers would get the most money. the only dilema then would be for the rich people who kids are not clever enough to get into the grammer schools......
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by topdude)
thats why i believe private schools should just get scraped then grammers would get the most money. the only dilema then would be for the rich people who kids are not clever enough to get into the grammer schools......
Well then they would learn that money cannot buy everything

PS I wasn't moaning, was just reading the private schools thread and thought a lot of stuff on there was far from the truth. It was supposed to a send up of that thread but it didn't quite work.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kikzen)
haha cheeky *******! i always sign rep :p:
hehe...wasnt saying it was you, just you were the only one that fitted in the thread from your gems, post count etc...although i didnt think from your comments it would be you (hence the bit about someone not in the thread, as edders has proved)
m0ke
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Since I was very young I haven't been cared for very much. I grew up in a grubby detatched mansion and, unlike most of the other normal kids, didn't even have a swimming pool. My mum, knowing I'd feel too emotionally stable, decided NOT to grant me a brother but instead thrust upon me 3 sisters. She's tried to palm me off with computers, cars etc. but I'll never forgive her for what she didn't do.
For the first few years of my life I was only given a weekly £5 pocket money which couldn't even buy me a haircut, so I had Tarzan hair until I was old enough to operate scissors. My parents, you see, said that scissors were dangerous, and that I was too young, but I know now they were just humilating me.
I thought parents were supposed to nurture their child's "cultural awareness"? Sure, we had holidays, but never even stepped outside of Europe (Scotland 2 times, Germany 2 times, Portugal, Italy and Spain 7 times each). Talk about damnation.
My parents were so afraid that I wouldn't fit in with society that they made me wear complete Nike attire, right down to the sparkling gold trainers, hoping I'd gel with the local Chav population. I have since broken free from their stranglehold and become an individual, and damn proud of it.
I don't mean to upset you all (because I know what upsetness feels like) but I'm going to die if I don't tell someone eventually...

I used to go to State school.

I urge everyone out there to be more like me and make something out of your life.
Sabrina1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you for real?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise