Alhu16ac
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
In 2018 I started Human Physiology BSc with a foundation year at the University of Liverpool. I completed year 0 (2018/19) and year 1 (2019/20) whilst living in Wales at my parent's address. In year 2 (2020/2021) I suspended my studies after the death of both my parents.

In November 2020 we sold my parents house, and I lived in a friend's house in England until I decided what to do. I have since bought a house in England in March 2021, although I didn't move in until May 2021.

As I no longer have a Wales address and I'm not returning to my previous course of Human Physiology, but I'm starting a new course of Diagnostic Radiography from year one starting 2021. Should I now apply with Student Finance England instead of Wales?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Alhu16ac)
In 2018 I started Human Physiology BSc with a foundation year at the University of Liverpool. I completed year 0 (2018/19) and year 1 (2019/20) whilst living in Wales at my parent's address. In year 2 (2020/2021) I suspended my studies after the death of both my parents.

In November 2020 we sold my parents house, and I lived in a friend's house in England until I decided what to do. I have since bought a house in England in March 2021, although I didn't move in until May 2021.

As I no longer have a Wales address and I'm not returning to my previous course of Human Physiology, but I'm starting a new course of Diagnostic Radiography from year one starting 2021. Should I now apply with Student Finance England instead of Wales?
Hi, you should apply with the original award authority.

Thanks, Isaac
Alhu16ac
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, you should apply with the original award authority.

Thanks, Isaac
By original, do you mean Student Finance Wales?

I called Student Finance England yesterday, explained the situation to them and they have told me to apply to them using a PN1 form.
Last edited by Alhu16ac; 3 months ago
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Alhu16ac)
By original, do you mean Student Finance Wales?

I called Student Finance England yesterday, explained the situation to them and they have told me to apply to them using a PN1 form.
If SFW was the original then yes.

Our guidance states:

In the majority of situations a student must be ordinarily resident in the UK, with the exception of temporary or occasional absences, for the 3 years immediately preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course before they will be eligible to apply for student finance.

Where they are actually ordinarily resident at the time they apply for the support, assuming that this is prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course, usually determines which award authority they should apply to.

EXAMPLE: if they are living in Scotland when they apply, as that is their home and they have not just moved there to study the course, they should submit their application to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

Student Relocates during their Course
If the student moves to a different UK country during their course for the purpose of study, they should continue to apply to their original award authority for the remainder of the course.

If they move permanently to a different UK country during their course but will be continuing on the same course at the same institution they will also continue to apply to their original award authority.

EXAMPLE: If they were originally living in England during year 1 of your course and prior to starting year 2 of the course moved to Wales but were continuing on the same course at the same institution in England they would continue to apply to Student Finance England for the duration of their course.

Student Relocates and Starts a New Course (no gap in study)
Students who relocate to a different domicile after completing/withdrawing from their UG course and choose to continue studying with no gap between courses (other than the normal vacation period) should continue to apply to the same award authority. This is because they will be treated as currently residing in the domicile for the purposes of study.

Student Relocates and has a Gap in Study Prior to Starting a New Course
If the student was originally living and studying in one part of the UK, and have permanently moved to another part of the UK, and they are now starting a new course where there is more than the normal long vacation period between the two courses, they should apply to the new award authority that they now reside in. However, they will be asked to demonstrate that their place of ordinary residence has genuinely changed.

Students will continue to use to same account but will be unable to apply online until a Transfer of Ownership has taken place. A Transfer of Ownership can cause a delay in the processing of their application.

EXAMPLE: If they originally lived and studied in Wales, completed or withdrew from their previous course and are now permanently residing in England, they do not need to have the 3yrs residency in England, therefore they can apply to Student Finance England for student support.

As you were living in Wales when you started to apply for funding and you are moving to England to study, you should apply with SFW.

Thanks, Isaac
Re127
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi Issac, in the case where a student relocates and has a gap in study prior to starting a new course, you say that the student needs to demonstrate that their place of ordinary residence has genuinely changed. In this case, would a student need to provide physical evidence or just provide an address history on a piece of paper when submitting an application?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Re127)
Hi Issac, in the case where a student relocates and has a gap in study prior to starting a new course, you say that the student needs to demonstrate that their place of ordinary residence has genuinely changed. In this case, would a student need to provide physical evidence or just provide an address history on a piece of paper when submitting an application?
Address history should be fine but if our residency team require any evidence then they will request this.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed