Can my friend from another school write my UCAS reference?

Watch this thread
MrMemez1
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
thx
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Usually your teachers would write your reference for you

From the UCAS website: "Don’t ask family, friends, partners or ex-partners though – if you do your application may be cancelled."
Last edited by laurawatt; 8 months ago
MrMemez1
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
Usually your teachers would write your reference for you

From the UCAS website: "Don’t ask family, friends, partners or ex-partners though – if you do your application may be cancelled."
im an independent student
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by MrMemez1)
im an independent student
Then you’ll need to think about whether you know any teachers or tutors who will be able to provide you with an academic reference.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
thx
It has to be an academic reference from a teacher who can comment on your progress through A levels etc, and your academic potential for University.
Your best friend is simply not appropriate.

If you are applying through school then your school will compile your reference. Why are you trying to avoid this?
kitkattttt
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
thx
Hi!

I don't know if it's too late to respond to this, but I was a mature/independent applicant (20 years old at time of application in 2020), I had a previous employer write my reference. They had no interaction with my education, nor did they even know me while I was at school. I received very generous offers from all five of the universities I applied to (King's, UCL, St Andrews, Newcastle, and Edinburgh), I got to see the reference after it was sent off and it barely touched on my academic interests or journey. It did detail my academic inclination, like reading and debates etc. but the rest of the reference was entirely character based. I'm not sure what McGinger is trying to accuse you of, your question is totally valid and there aren't enough resources out there for mature/independent students applying through UCAS. So, from experience, find someone that can testify to your character, if they can include why you would do well at university, or studying a particular subject, that's great. Work with what you've got. You can always contact universities directly, admissions offices are extremely helpful as a mature/independent applicant.

Best of luck, wishing you all the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (128)
67.37%
No (40)
21.05%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.58%

Watched Threads