Getting into law

Watch this thread
JosephCiderBwoy
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm a modern languages student, and I'm considering many career paths atm. My main focus is translation and interpreting, but I've been pondering a legal career recently. I've looked into GDL courses but it'll have been replaced by the SQE by the time I graduate. I didn't realise how accessible legal careers were and thought you had to study law at undergraduate level or else there was no other option; however, postgraduate training routes seem much more orientated towards my needs, as I prefer vocational courses to academic ones (at least in law and languages, they seem better for me). I have a feeling this is just a phase for me but I'd like to look into it as much as I can so I know my options properly.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by JosephCiderBwoy)
I'm a modern languages student, and I'm considering many career paths atm. My main focus is translation and interpreting, but I've been pondering a legal career recently. I've looked into GDL courses but it'll have been replaced by the SQE by the time I graduate. I didn't realise how accessible legal careers were and thought you had to study law at undergraduate level or else there was no other option; however, postgraduate training routes seem much more orientated towards my needs, as I prefer vocational courses to academic ones (at least in law and languages, they seem better for me). I have a feeling this is just a phase for me but I'd like to look into it as much as I can so I know my options properly.
Hi JosephCiderBwoy!

There is a brilliant legal pathways guide at LCN- have a look here: https://www.lawcareers.net/Starting-...l-Career-Paths.

Remember the GDL is still open to you if you decide to become a barrister. The SQE route will be for solicitors.

My best advice, if you are concerned that this may be just a phase, is to apply for work experience at both Chambers (Barristers) and Law Firms (Mainly solicitors). As a career changer, you will need to demonstrate that you have considered what the positions involve and work experience is a great work to demonstrate that you have done that. I am a career changer too so this helped me- both in my understanding of the different roles but also in deciding which route to take (plus it is a useful experience to discuss in interviews).

You can also find some interesting podcasts about legal careers here: https://www.law.ac.uk/resources/podcasts/

Hope that helps!
Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads