The Student Room Group

med school with low gcse requirments and accept btec?!?!?!

Hi
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jelly_xoj
hi ive recently been interested in med school although my gcse are okay but not too high. overall i have 6 or 7 C's 3 B's and 1 A in GCSE and am doing btec applied science, psychology and sociology at a level, and iam aiming to get high grades in those. i dont mind doing a foundation year. would like the uni to be either in Wales, Bristol, or London. Thanks

i cant lie that would be almost impossible to get into a med school as even foundation years require one of Chem or Bio with more needing at least Chem and £ Alvels with Notts Offering BBC predictions and requirements however for that u need Chem and BIo
Reply 2
hi ive recently been interested in med school although my gcse are okay but not too high. overall i have 6 or 7 C's 3 B's and 1 A in GCSE and am doing btec applied science, psychology and sociology at a level, and iam aiming to get high grades in those. i dont mind doing a foundation year. would like the uni to be either in Wales, Bristol, or London. Thanks

You will need to resit English Language, Maths or any of the Sciences that are below a B (6) and you do need either bio or chem at A Level to be able to apply to most med schools, you will also need 3 A levels rather than 2 and one BTEC.

Are you eligible for Foundation Year Medicine as it is not open to everyone and you have to meet the widening participation criteria for the universities before you're allowed to apply.

There's only 2 Med schools in Wales: Cardiff and Swansea. You cannot apply to Cardiff as they are very heavy GCSE heavy and people with 9 9s have been known to get rejected this year and Swansea is grad entry only so you will have to do a degree before you can apply there. I would not recommend this at all because it is more competitive than undergrad medicine, costs more and takes much longer.

Bristol requires you to have Chem plus another science at A Levels and whatever 3rd A Level you want they also have a high UCAT requirement and need a 7 in Maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by spyhke
i cant lie that would be almost impossible to get into a med school as even foundation years require one of Chem or Bio with more needing at least CChem and £ Alvels with Notts Offering BBC predictions and requirements however for that u need Chem and Bio

not true. i have seen a lot of med schools that accept btec science as an alternative to a levels. for example Bristol university. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/medicine/mb-medicine/ . i saw this and i was looking for other med schools like this so i have a couple more options. I've also heard that Bristol is very generous when it comes to grades as it gives contextual offers so if you live in a bad area they will bump down the requirements by a grade or 2. Again was just wondering if there are any other unis like this.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SyedN
You will need to resit English Language, Maths or any of the Sciences that are below a B (6) and you do need either bio or chem at A Level to be able to apply to most med schools, you will also need 3 A levels rather than 2 and one BTEC.

Are you eligible for Foundation Year Medicine as it is not open to everyone and you have to meet the widening participation criteria for the universities before you're allowed to apply.

There's only 2 Med schools in Wales: Cardiff and Swansea. You cannot apply to Cardiff as they are very heavy GCSE heavy and people with 9 9s have been known to get rejected this year and Swansea is grad entry only so you will have to do a degree before you can apply there. I would not recommend this at all because it is more competitive than undergrad medicine, costs more and takes much longer.

Bristol requires you to have Chem plus another science at A Levels and whatever 3rd A Level you want they also have a high UCAT requirement and need a 7 in Maths.

yes
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
yes iam eligible for a foundation year due to my postcode, and many foundation years accept btecs. especially Bristol ill link it here. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/medicine/mb-chb-gateway-to-medicine/ . i know Cardiff is very gcse heavy even with its foundation year which is annoying. grad entry is not something i would want to do. maths and science i got B but English i didn't. I haven't done my UCAT yet but am trying to aim high. Bristol med foundation only requires B in maths. Please correct me if I'm wrong but that's what the website says. Thanks for the help.

i mean go for it if u are eligible but those are usually the minimum requirements and many have still AAA or AAB at least on those schemes to. so ur Personal Statement or something about you needs to be exceptional to get an offer from the course as they have an advantage in that way.
Reply 6
yes iam eligible for a foundation year due to my postcode, and many foundation years accept btecs. especially Bristol ill link it here. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/medicine/mb-chb-gateway-to-medicine/ . i know Cardiff is very gcse heavy even with its foundation year which is annoying. grad entry is not something i would want to do. maths and science i got B but English i didn't. I haven't done my UCAT yet but am trying to aim high. Bristol med foundation only requires B in maths. Please correct me if I'm wrong but that's what the website says. Thanks for the help.

But even for the foundation year at Bristol you need to have A Level Chem or Bio at a B.
Reply 7

U aren't eligible for that foundation year at Bristol as u can have a Btech but u need it alongside A level chem or bio
Reply 8
Original post by spyhke
U aren't eligible for that foundation year at Bristol as u can have a Btech but u need it alongside A level chem or bio

Ok
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
No I don’t. It says btec offer and if you click on further requirements it has a whole section talking about btec. It just says it has to be accompanied by one A level. I contacted the university and told them my situation and they also said I was eligible.I’m gonna add the information here. Please don’t talk if you don’t know the facts.29EED94A-1797-4D26-89A9-13E3A6E724E8.jpg

Two things to note, the page you have posted is a page for general courses not specifically for medicine and you would still need to do Chem A Level and another Science.
What makes you want to do medicine? I've heard they usually want at least chemistry, or maybe biology, at A-Level, and obviously since it's so competitive your grades should be high.

I'm not a medic so there may be ways of getting round it but I'm curious as to why you're so invested.
Reply 11
No I don’t. It says btec offer and if you click on further requirements it has a whole section talking about btec. It just says it has to be accompanied by one A level. I contacted the university and told them my situation and they also said I was eligible.I’m gonna add the information here. Please don’t talk if you don’t know the facts.29EED94A-1797-4D26-89A9-13E3A6E724E8.jpg

Please don't talk? What bruh I was in a similar problem to u. I was in year 12 and I did Maths Econ and Chem at A Level but I wanted to do Dentistry. Most needed bio alongside so I couldn't so a lot of courses. I wanted to do it so I decided to look at the foundation years for various unis eg. Manchester. The foundation years only admitted 1 or 2 places max for both Med and Dentistry Courses. Contact them such as Cardiff if u dont believe me. I didnt end up going onto it but my mate did and he's gonna start this year. There's literally 4 of them in the year. And yes what u showed was that it does accept B Tech but also alongside another A Level. And it specifically says on Bristol that u require Bio or Chem. And how do I know anything about Bristol uni is cuz I tried to do dentistry there as well but now I'm happy doing Economics.
Yes ur fine with ur Btech alongside ur qualifications but u need a Bio or Chem a level alongside. Ask them specifically if u do require a Chem or Bio Alevel alongside and they will say yes. Im telling u so u don't waste ur time. If u can change one of ur a levels then change if ASAP to one of those 2 then u will have a chance.
Reply 12
Original post by spyhke
Please don't talk? What bruh I was in a similar problem to u. I was in year 12 and I did Maths Econ and Chem at A Level but I wanted to do Dentistry. Most needed bio alongside so I couldn't so a lot of courses. I wanted to do it so I decided to look at the foundation years for various unis eg. Manchester. The foundation years only admitted 1 or 2 places max for both Med and Dentistry Courses. Contact them such as Cardiff if u dont believe me. I didnt end up going onto it but my mate did and he's gonna start this year. There's literally 4 of them in the year. And yes what u showed was that it does accept B Tech but also alongside another A Level. And it specifically says on Bristol that u require Bio or Chem. And how do I know anything about Bristol uni is cuz I tried to do dentistry there as well but now I'm happy doing Economics.
Yes ur fine with ur Btech alongside ur qualifications but u need a Bio or Chem a level alongside. Ask them specifically if u do require a Chem or Bio Alevel alongside and they will say yes. Im telling u so u don't waste ur time. If u can change one of ur a levels then change if ASAP to one of those 2 then u will have a chance.

Ok
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
ive literally asked the university myself and they said i can do it with btec but it has to be accompanied by any A level. Thats it. you dont need chem and bio if your choosing the btec route..

ok, if thats true then go for it then but look at the rest of the people on this forum. and honestly I think it would be very hard to get into med school with a btech, almost impossible. you need to have very high academics even on foundations years. and on foundations years you gotta pass all the chem and bio exams to get onto the course for the year after
Reply 14

The A108 eligibility for Bristol is based on your school (or that you are a care-leaver), not your postcode (some other courses at Bristol do give out contextual offers based on your postcode so that is quite confusing)
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/documents/Aspiring%20State%20Schools%20and%20Colleges%20for%202022%20cycle%20England%20and%20Wales.pdf. You need to check if your school is on this list.
ive literally asked the university myself and they said i can do it with btec but it has to be accompanied by any A level. Thats it. you dont need chem and bio if your choosing the btec route..

If you're so interested in pursuing medicine why don't you do chemistry? Surely if you don't have interest in chem that shows medicine isn't right for you
Reply 16
Original post by user2313
If you're so interested in pursuing medicine why don't you do chemistry? Surely if you don't have interest in chem that shows medicine isn't right for you

Because
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 17
Original post by spyhke
ok, if thats true then go for it then but look at the rest of the people on this forum. and honestly I think it would be very hard to get into med school with a btech, almost impossible. you need to have very high academics even on foundations years. and on foundations years you got to pass all the chem and bio exams to get onto the course for the year after

Hhh.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 18
Original post by 2500_2
The A108 eligibility for Bristol is based on your school (or that you are a care-leaver), not your postcode (some other courses at Bristol do give out contextual offers based on your postcode so that is quite confusing)
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/documents/Aspiring%20State%20Schools%20and%20Colleges%20for%202022%20cycle%20England%20and%20Wales.pdf. You need to check if your school is on this list.

really
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 19
do you think i will have a chance if my GCSE are okay but my A level and UCAT score very high. honestly i was just undegraded at GCSE and was predicted A's and B's throughout the year and got C's and a couple B's, which has frustrated me a lot.

I mean yh ofc there's a chance but u need a very high UCAT score and it depends on the uni. Some are UCAT heavy whereas others are GCSE heavy like I know Leicester are and some are both. But idk it's ur choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending