A level physics without maths?

Watch this thread
l.r.
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi! So I’m due to start in sixth form in just over a week and the A level subjects I’m planning on taking are- chemistry, biology, English language and physics.
However, a lot of people have been advising me against doing physics without maths… except my GCSE physics teacher who said he was confident enough in my maths skills and thought I wouldn’t need A level maths.
In my GCSEs I got a 7 (A) in maths and a 9 (A*+) in physics to give you a bit of background information.
I’d like to ask your opinions about this… do you think I will be able to do A level physics without maths?
Rahul_*
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by l.r.)
Hi! So I’m due to start in sixth form in just over a week and the A level subjects I’m planning on taking are- chemistry, biology, English language and physics.
However, a lot of people have been advising me against doing physics without maths… except my GCSE physics teacher who said he was confident enough in my maths skills and thought I wouldn’t need A level maths.
In my GCSEs I got a 7 (A) in maths and a 9 (A*+) in physics to give you a bit of background information.
I’d like to ask your opinions about this… do you think I will be able to do A level physics without maths?
Having math's as a subject if u are taking physics is like icing on the cake bcoz physics have lot of mathematical based concepts like specially it helps in numerical part of the physics although it's not necessary but still u will a advantage if u take maths
Invective
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I got a B in GCSE Maths (2015) and ended up with an A* in OCR A Physics (New Spec 2017). It’s definitely possible and probable without Maths as I am definitely not a Mathematician.
fish finger fan
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Moved to physics forum
l.r.
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Thank you all!! That’s very helpful
Last edited by l.r.; 9 months ago
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
The real reason it's advisable to take Maths with Physics at A level is because Physics degrees (and nearly all Engineering degrees) will require A level Maths.

if you're sure you wont want to do a degree that requires A Level Maths, just getting through A level Physics shouldn't be an issue with your good pass in GCSE Maths.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by l.r.)
Thank you all!! That’s very helpful
What are you thinking of studying at university?
Niamhdw63
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
If you're just doing physics because you enjoy it and have no intention of actually doing a physics degree then I think you can 100% do it. I'm going into my second year of my A-Levels and out of the 10 students in my physics class there are 3 that don't take maths (one of the girls did almost the exact same combination you're considering but with literature instead of language). My physics teacher says it's fine if you don't want to do a physics or engineering degree. Of course I can only speak for the first year of the course because that's all myself and my classmates have done so far but if it does get too challenging you could always drop it since you're taking 4 subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (15)
28.3%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
41.51%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.77%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.66%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.55%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
11.32%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads