The Student Room Group

Do I need Maths A level to study international business at university?

Hi
This September I will be starting a business btec diploma and media A level and I have been wondering if I need A level maths. I really do want to study international business at university but I don't know if I need the maths a level. I also wanted to know what type of maths is needed for international business. I am also worried if my GCSE maths grade is too low (grade 4) and will I be able to cope with the maths side of the degree?
You don’t need A level maths; retake GCSE Maths because a lot of unis ask for 5/6.
Original post by omar ben farah
Hi
This September I will be starting a business btec diploma and media A level and I have been wondering if I need A level maths. I really do want to study international business at university but I don't know if I need the maths a level. I also wanted to know what type of maths is needed for international business. I am also worried if my GCSE maths grade is too low (grade 4) and will I be able to cope with the maths side of the degree?

Look up a few degrees and check - your Maths isn't strong enough to take A level.
Original post by Donahmed786
You don’t need A level maths; retake GCSE Maths because a lot of unis ask for 5/6.

Do you think I would struggle with this grade?
And is the maths at the degree not difficult?
I don’t know of any universities that require maths for International Business. Although if they do not offer an ab initio course, they might require the language you wish to study - either at GCSE or A-Level standard. Most will also require better GCSE Maths grades. I’d say look around at a range of potential universities and see what they require for international business: e.g. Warwick, King’s, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Exeter, etc.

I was originally looking at International Business myself but eventually decided it made more sense to just do business/management. You can often still elect to take a language module or to study abroad, so you essentially get the same benefits as doing international business. Deciding factor was mainly because international business is more niche so there’s not many top-tier unis offering it and I honestly felt like I was wasting 1 or 2 of my UCAS places on universities I wasn’t really interested in. I also seemed to get a bit of a vibe that international business can sometimes be seen by people as the “fun version” of a management degree, with less rigour and reputation. Just some food for thought, it’s down to you at the end of the day. Depends totally on what kind of uni you want to go to: it might be worth considering if you’ll be able to access better pathways for the same ‘international’ experience by doing standard management. Just check what the grades are and carefully consider where you want to go and what you want to do :smile: Either way, A Level Maths shouldn’t be required
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by econmitch
I don’t know of any universities that require maths for International Business. Although if they do not offer an ab initio course, they might require the language you wish to study - either at GCSE or A-Level standard. Most will also require better GCSE Maths grades. I’d say look around at a range of potential universities and see what they require for international business: e.g. Warwick, King’s, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Exeter, etc.

I was originally looking at International Business myself but eventually decided it made more sense to just do business/management. You can often still elect to take a language module or to study abroad, so you essentially get the same benefits as doing international business. Deciding factor was mainly because international business is more niche so there’s not many top-tier unis offering it and I honestly felt like I was wasting 1 or 2 of my UCAS places on universities I wasn’t really interested in. I also seemed to get a bit of a vibe that international business can sometimes be seen by people as the “fun version” of a management degree, with less rigour and reputation. Just some food for thought, it’s down to you at the end of the day. Depends totally on what kind of uni you want to go to: it might be worth considering if you’ll be able to access better pathways for the same ‘international’ experience by doing standard management. Just check what the grades are and carefully consider where you want to go and what you want to do :smile: Either way, A Level Maths shouldn’t be required

So what could you advice me? I'm so confused. I'm studying languages and business in sixth form but i dont think I should be a translator. So I thought about international business with a modern language like Spanish. But then I dont know if doing international business is will land me a good job, what should I do choose and do. Should I do business management with Spanish? It's that going to help too to get a good job?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending