The Student Room Group

neighbours give me anxiety

new neighbors moved in 2 months ago and they have made alot of noise drilling till early in the morning for the first two weeks after moving in. My mum went to tell them and they stopped but then they have a daughter who screams at 1 am even though she is old enough to know better.

Yesterday at 5am idk what they were doing in the room next door but i as woken up by bangs and it kept going on. then they were doing it after 12am today and talking quite loud so we banged on the wall loudly. Then a few minutes later just as i was trying to sleep the daughter scremed loud tice idk why but my mum shouted stf- hen i stopped her and i said loudly i told you we should have reported them to the council when they first moved in, but i was half asleep so... And now i have so much anxiety being and sleeping in my room, i am sleeping in the hallway.

I know my mum should not have said that, but i have too much anxiety to sleep now, help.
Original post by Kdog21
new neighbors moved in 2 months ago and they have made alot of noise drilling till early in the morning for the first two weeks after moving in. My mum went to tell them and they stopped but then they have a daughter who screams at 1 am even though she is old enough to know better.

Yesterday at 5am idk what they were doing in the room next door but i as woken up by bangs and it kept going on. then they were doing it after 12am today and talking quite loud so we banged on the wall loudly. Then a few minutes later just as i was trying to sleep the daughter scremed loud tice idk why but my mum shouted stf- hen i stopped her and i said loudly i told you we should have reported them to the council when they first moved in, but i was half asleep so... And now i have so much anxiety being and sleeping in my room, i am sleeping in the hallway.

I know my mum should not have said that, but i have too much anxiety to sleep now, help.

Hi,
For clarity, what is causing the anxiety? THe noise, the knowledge of neighbours hearing something, something else?
Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by bridgesm
Hi,
For clarity, what is causing the anxiety? THe noise, the knowledge of neighbours hearing something, something else?
Thanks.

Thanks for replying, its them hearing what my mum said but also when i sleep at night i keep thinking when will they make noise next and basically staying ready to wake up i shock from sudden banging or screaming
Original post by Kdog21
Thanks for replying, its them hearing what my mum said but also when i sleep at night i keep thinking when will they make noise next and basically staying ready to wake up i shock from sudden banging or screaming

Hi,
Ok so just spell the issue with what your mother said for me as I'm not quite understanding yet. Is it worry about them having heard her and being angry at you two, not liking your mother like that, something else...?

Regarding the second point I wouldn't say I had the same experience exactly, as I wouldn't say I was anxious, but I just spent 1st year at university and 2/3 of my housemates were loud at night and/or class a drug users, both at night. So I too was extremely on edge and expectant of something every night, so when something did happen, it would be up instantly, but out of annoyance for my lack of sleep, health and lack of respect for the house. I asked them to not, which was ignored, and then asked to move, which took ages but got cancelled due to the lockdown and us being sent home. So what I'm saying is that I can relate to you, and from my experience with troubling situations, being honest with the other side is best, but if you can't, then try to solve the problem in one swoop as to minimise the chance they'll have to feel angered. I say this as I know what it's like to feel anxious, and also be this in a situation like yours, and if you're going against people like this, it is scary, so whilst you feel weird about the council thing, I think you were on the right track, providing mum can't talk to the neighbors? In this case, call them, get the best picture you can without actioning, then make the best decision you can from there.

Regarding sleeping for now, as with the other things it depends on you, but if it's a valid option, try sleeping in mum's room, it may help with relaxing, or even swapping for a bit. If not, try relaxation yoga videos, it may not work for you, but putting your head into something whilst relaxing is like the opposite of putting your head into something happening, so may decrease your alertness in a triggering situation.

Sorry if that was too long. Let me know if it helps.
M.
Reply 4
The homeowner should speak to them and/or formally report it.
Earplugs might help to a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending