The Student Room Group

How to get proof of age ID as a trans person

I've recently turned 18 and would like to get ID to prove my age in order to buy alcohol.
However I don't have any official ID whatsoever (no passport, driver's license ect, nothing), and I'm trans so the only thing I have that might help me get some ID (my birth certificate) has the wrong name and gender on it, and isn't my real identity.
Any ideas on how I can acquire proof of age ID when I'm trans with no relevant identification documents?
Original post by Joe198
I've recently turned 18 and would like to get ID to prove my age in order to buy alcohol.
However I don't have any official ID whatsoever (no passport, driver's license ect, nothing), and I'm trans so the only thing I have that might help me get some ID (my birth certificate) has the wrong name and gender on it, and isn't my real identity.
Any ideas on how I can acquire proof of age ID when I'm trans with no relevant identification documents?

If you’re legally the other gender then you need to have ID for that. You can’t just live with no proof of identity because you don’t like being your birth gender. You don’t have to look at it, and could just stick a sticker on the back that says you’re transgender so if anyone asks just turn it around.

Whilst you don’t believe in your identity, your legal things tied to your birth like national insurance and passport will be under that name. If you really don’t want to use it then I suggest legally changing your name or the full legal process to have your personal information changed but that could take a while especially with the backlog from Covid and Brexit and now Afghanistan with others having priority to these services for identity papers and numbers.
Maybe order a provisional license if you plan on driving in the next few years.

I'm not sure your birth certificate would could because as far as I'm aware there's no photo on there.

A passport is probably useful to have so I'd get one in your position.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Joe198

Hi! @Joe198

I would get a drivers licence, as it's cheaper than getting a passport and easier to store in your purse/wallet or phone case.
It would have your date of birth and your legal name (the name you were given at birth unless you have legally changed your name).
Many people checking your ID wouldn't ask many questions, as they usually just check your age and picture. You could always have a label on the back explaining you are transgender if people do question. Your driver's licence doesn't even explicitly say your gender (only Mr, Miss, Mrs etc), so as long as your picture on your ID is you, then people aren't likely to notice.
I would also speak to TransUnite and ask for some advice surrounding this. They are a charity that offers support and advice to those who are transgender. Even for small things like this, but also ways to respond to questions surrounding your identity and your legal ID. https://www.transunite.co.uk/

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi! @Joe198

I would get a drivers licence, as it's cheaper than getting a passport and easier to store in your purse/wallet or phone case.
It would have your date of birth and your legal name (the name you were given at birth unless you have legally changed your name).
Many people checking your ID wouldn't ask many questions, as they usually just check your age and picture. You could always have a label on the back explaining you are transgender if people do question. Your driver's licence doesn't even explicitly say your gender (only Mr, Miss, Mrs etc), so as long as your picture on your ID is you, then people aren't likely to notice.
I would also speak to TransUnite and ask for some advice surrounding this. They are a charity that offers support and advice to those who are transgender. Even for small things like this, but also ways to respond to questions surrounding your identity and your legal ID. https://www.transunite.co.uk/

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thanks for this :smile:
I would like to get a driver's license at some point because I'd like to learn to drive, however I didn't know that would mean having the 'legal' name on it and I really don't think I could do that, like go through the process of getting it and having to get involved with that name being what I'm identified as.
If people really weren't noticing when I gave ID and that kinda thing then that would be better, though as I explained I don't think I could have that name on a driver's license.
I think what this has mostly done is opened my eyes to the many issues surrounding my official ID - not being able to get alcohol isn't the end of the world, well not for me anyway, however it holding me back from things like getting a driver's license could be bigger problems.
Thanks for your help and also thanks for pointing me to that site as I've never heard of it before but I'll check it out! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ashtolga23
Maybe order a provisional license if you plan on driving in the next few years.

I'm not sure your birth certificate would could because as far as I'm aware there's no photo on there.

A passport is probably useful to have so I'd get one in your position.

I would like to learn to drive in the next few years, yeah, though I have worries regarding the name that'd end up as having on it (the birth name). Yeah like you say birth certificates can't really be used as ID anyway, I have read that that's the case.
A passport would again be great to have although probably not something I'll need any time in the near future, I guess I could try for that but I'll run into problems there too soooo... probably no good solutions 😅
Reply 6
Original post by Googley_eyes
If you’re legally the other gender then you need to have ID for that. You can’t just live with no proof of identity because you don’t like being your birth gender. You don’t have to look at it, and could just stick a sticker on the back that says you’re transgender so if anyone asks just turn it around.

Whilst you don’t believe in your identity, your legal things tied to your birth like national insurance and passport will be under that name. If you really don’t want to use it then I suggest legally changing your name or the full legal process to have your personal information changed but that could take a while especially with the backlog from Covid and Brexit and now Afghanistan with others having priority to these services for identity papers and numbers.

It's not about not believing in my identity, it's that that's not my identity. My identity differs from what it states.
I'm not sure what national insurance is tbh loool I've never had to do anything relating to mine, and I don't have a passport although I would like to be able to get one at some point, but might find it difficult without the right name on my birth certificate.
What you say about legally changing my name is a very good point and I've been thinking about it for a while now. I want to get a deed poll to change it which in theory I could do though it needs someone (or in some cases two people) to sign it off and stuff which may be difficult for me as no one I know in real life knows that I'm trans and I wouldn't feel comfortable getting close family/family friends to do it.
Reply 7
Original post by Joe198
What you say about legally changing my name is a very good point and I've been thinking about it for a while now. I want to get a deed poll to change it which in theory I could do though it needs someone (or in some cases two people) to sign it off and stuff which may be difficult for me as no one I know in real life knows that I'm trans and I wouldn't feel comfortable getting close family/family friends to do it.

With a deed poll, you're not getting someone to "sign it off" -- all you're asking them to do is to witness your signature. It doesn't need to be close family/family friends.

More information here: https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/make-an-adult-deed-poll
Original post by Joe198
It's not about not believing in my identity, it's that that's not my identity. My identity differs from what it states.
I'm not sure what national insurance is tbh loool I've never had to do anything relating to mine, and I don't have a passport although I would like to be able to get one at some point, but might find it difficult without the right name on my birth certificate.

Legally it is your identity, you can’t deny that. It is your ID in the government system. You need to know your National insurance to get any job, or do anything really. It’s super important so look into finding out your number and also a passport. If no one knows you’re trans then surely they all call you by your birth name, and if so then why worry about the ID. Your family and maybe some friends will want to see your photo and notice a different name.
When I was 18 I remember going to a bar and paying for a beer. I got IDed and the bartender was like "oh I thought you were male", I said "a lot of people do" and smiled. I had a female name on my license but I pass very well.
Reply 10
Original post by martin7
With a deed poll, you're not getting someone to "sign it off" -- all you're asking them to do is to witness your signature. It doesn't need to be close family/family friends.

More information here: https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/make-an-adult-deed-poll

Thanks, had a look through that. I think finding anyone to witness the signature is going to be tricky for me, I don't really have anyone who could do that currently as it would have to be someone who knows me and also knows I'm trans, and since I'm what would I guess be called "stealth", I don't let people in general know. At some point though I'm sure I'll have someone who can serve as a witness so when I'm in the position for it I have no doubt that I'll be doing that and officially change my name.
Reply 11
Original post by Googley_eyes
Legally it is your identity, you can’t deny that. It is your ID in the government system. You need to know your National insurance to get any job, or do anything really. It’s super important so look into finding out your number and also a passport. If no one knows you’re trans then surely they all call you by your birth name, and if so then why worry about the ID. Your family and maybe some friends will want to see your photo and notice a different name.

Ah no maybe I didn't explain properly sorry - when I said that no one knows I'm trans I meant that no one I meet knows I wasn't born as the gender I present now. I pass as and fully live as my gender so I don't tell anyone because it's not necessary. Anyone who's known me since birth or since I was very young, like family, of course knows I'm trans and know me as my real gender not my birth gender. There's no one at all who uses my birth name, thankfully. So no one who saw any new ID would notice a new name and think it was odd - they already know me as that name.

And yes, legally I know the birth name is supposedly my identity. So I suppose to get a job I will need to get a deed poll to change my legal name first? I'd imagine so anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
When I was 18 I remember going to a bar and paying for a beer. I got IDed and the bartender was like "oh I thought you were male", I said "a lot of people do" and smiled. I had a female name on my license but I pass very well.

Problem for me is I don't even have any female identification either (I'm ftm as I'm assuming you are too). If I did I'd honestly probably just use that and pretend to be a female who looks male 😂 Would be harmless I'm sure. But since the only way of getting any sort of ID would be through my birth certificate, which is in my birth name, it makes it tricky. Of course the problem for me is more than just not being able to prove my age, it's also that I can't get a driver's license or passport or anything like that.
Original post by Joe198
Thanks, had a look through that. I think finding anyone to witness the signature is going to be tricky for me, I don't really have anyone who could do that currently as it would have to be someone who knows me and also knows I'm trans,

The witness(es) to your signature do not need to know you.

The witness(es) to your signature do not need to know that you are trans.

They literally just need to witness you physically writing your old and new signatures on a document, and sign their own names and give their addresses.

If you get this done via a solicitor (which will obviously cost money, but it's your choice) then they can witness your signature.
Reply 14
Original post by martin7
The witness(es) to your signature do not need to know you.

The witness(es) to your signature do not need to know that you are trans.

They literally just need to witness you physically writing your old and new signatures on a document, and sign their own names and give their addresses.

If you get this done via a solicitor (which will obviously cost money, but it's your choice) then they can witness your signature.

Ah I didn't realise that it wouldn't be necessary for the other person to know I'm trans. Though surely if they saw me sign the previous name (although I've never had a proper signature for that name but that wouldn't matter as I could just make one up), then they would be able to know, or at least would know I was changing my name.
As you can probably already tell, my circumstances are complicated and weird 😂😅 But I'm thinking that I might be able to get someone I don't know very well, tell them I'm trans and would like them to be the witness, and then if they took that well and agreed to it then they could be my witness.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending