The Student Room Group

what am I trying to show in my personal statement- Oxbridge? Physics/Engineering

what are Oxbridge looking for in my personal statement for Physics/Engineering
Just demonstration of your interest in the subject and some indication you understand the scope of it at degree level. They do not really care much to hear about your non-relevant extracurricular activities (e.g. that you play the flute at grade 8 level while applying to physics). Generally Oxford and Cambridge do not put a huge amount of weight on personal statements, especially for STEM subjects, in large part because they've stated that admissions tutors have no real way to know if it is the student's original work and they usually don't give them that much information.

Note that other universities may well put much more emphasis on the PS however, so you should still put effort into it. But if it's acceptable for most other unis it will likely be more than acceptable for Oxford and Cambridge. Also note that other unis may be more interested in those non-related/non-academic extracurricular activities, so it's still worth writing about them, but I would not suggest spending more than 20% of your PS on that. For most unis your PS should be focused primarily on the subject you are intending to study, discussing your interests in that subject and why you are hoping to study it, where possible "showing" rather than "telling" about your interest (e.g. not just saying "I am interested in X..." but "I read about A in book B which led me to concept Y which allowed me to explore my interest in X").
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Just demonstration of your interest in the subject and some indication you understand the scope of it at degree level. They do not really care much to hear about your non-relevant extracurricular activities (e.g. that you play the flute at grade 8 level while applying to physics). Generally Oxford and Cambridge do not put a huge amount of weight on personal statements, especially for STEM subjects, in large part because they've stated that admissions tutors have no real way to know if it is the student's original work and they usually don't give them that much information.

Note that other universities may well put much more emphasis on the PS however, so you should still put effort into it. But if it's acceptable for most other unis it will likely be more than acceptable for Oxford and Cambridge. Also note that other unis may be more interested in those non-related/non-academic extracurricular activities, so it's still worth writing about them, but I would not suggest spending more than 20% of your PS on that. For most unis your PS should be focused primarily on the subject you are intending to study, discussing your interests in that subject and why you are hoping to study it, where possible "showing" rather than "telling" about your interest (e.g. not just saying "I am interested in X..." but "I read about A in book B which led me to concept Y which allowed me to explore my interest in X").

thanks @artful_lounger
i wrote this in my statement and a teacher told me to explain WHY i found it interesting...but I have no idea how to explain WHY i found it interesting...like i just did, ya know?
Original post by rxrx2004
thanks @artful_lounger
i wrote this in my statement and a teacher told me to explain WHY i found it interesting...but I have no idea how to explain WHY i found it interesting...like i just did, ya know?

I think I recall you asking this before; as I said last time you need to show the reasoning behind your interest but showing essentially the genesis of that interest and what you have done to explore. Hence, rather than just saying "I found X interesting", you expand that by discussing where you found out about it, what you did to explore that, and how that exploration developed your interest (and then link to the degree).

The official (subject agnostic) advice is here.

You should aim to explain, and demonstrate, your passion / enjoyment / activities in the areas of Engineering / Physics, and Mathematics.

However, please don't get overly stressed about your PS. It must not compromise your PAT preparation. Good luck.
Reply 5
I think I recall you asking this before; as I said last time you need to show the reasoning behind your interest but showing essentially the genesis of that interest and what you have done to explore. Hence, rather than just saying "I found X interesting", you expand that by discussing where you found out about it, what you did to explore that, and how that exploration developed your interest (and then link to the degree).

thank you...im just finding the 'why' difficult and it's a little demotivating:frown: Just feel like my PS isn't good enough :/
But thanks, I'll try to do what you said
Original post by RogerOxon
The official (subject agnostic) advice is here.

You should aim to explain, and demonstrate, your passion / enjoyment / activities in the areas of Engineering / Physics, and Mathematics.

However, please don't get overly stressed about your PS. It must not compromise your PAT preparation. Good luck.

thanks sm.
(edited 2 years ago)
Demonstrating an interest in the field as an academic subject.

TBH with these subjects the academics is the most important, your A-level subjects & grades (as well as the pre-interview tests) and your interviews will be very important in getting an offer
Just demonstration of your interest in the subject and some indication you understand the scope of it at degree level. They do not really care much to hear about your non-relevant extracurricular activities (e.g. that you play the flute at grade 8 level while applying to physics).

I disagree - the ability to schedule your acadmeic work around the level of practice required to play at this level shows great organisational skills and team work if you play in an orchestra - Oxbridge do look at more than the academics.

You need to decide which one you are applying for first! What do you enjoy about Physics? What aspects of engineering are you interested in?
Original post by Muttley79
I disagree - the ability to schedule your acadmeic work around the level of practice required to play at this level shows great organisational skills and team work if you play in an orchestra - Oxbridge do look at more than the academics.

Eh im not so sure about this, I've been told numerous times by admissions tutors that they generally don't care about this sorta stuff - especially the teamwork aspect. - Organisational skills might be relevant to demonstrate you can cope with the workload.
Original post by leviticus.
Eh im not so sure about this, I've been told numerous times by admissions tutors that they generally don't care about this sorta stuff - especially the teamwork aspect. - Organisational skills might be relevant to demonstrate you can cope with the workload.

Engineers [and most scientists] work in teams - you need that skill or you won't be successful ...

I take your point, and the PS is for more than one University. However, this is what the official guidance says (see "What are Oxford tutors looking for?"):
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/ucas-application#content-tab--2
Tutors at Oxford are only interested in your academic ability and potential.
Engineers [and most scientists] work in teams - you need that skill or you won't be successful ...

My point and this point are not mutually exclusive. For better or for worse, I have been told by at least 20 different people working in Oxbridge admissions that they do not care about these sorts of transferable skills outside of courses like Medicine.
Original post by RogerOxon
I take your point, and the PS is for more than one University. However, this is what the official guidance says (see "What are Oxford tutors looking for?"):

Yes but I am told by the academics I've taught at Oxford that someone who is able to work at the right academic level AND play sport and /or music at a high level shows they can cope with the pace of work there. The PS isn't just for Oxford anyway is it?
My point and this point are not mutually exclusive. For better or for worse, I have been told by at least 20 different people working in Oxbridge admissions that they do not care about these sorts of transferable skills outside of courses like Medicine.

The tutors I know disagree - I've taught several in post now.
The tutors I know disagree - I've taught several in post now.

Fair enough, I'm sure 1 or 2 sentences on the topic wouldn't hurt but the brunt of the personal statement should be focused on academic pursuits and certainly the omission of extra-curriculars wouldn't outwardly hurt an Oxbridge applicaton.
Fair enough, I'm sure 1 or 2 sentences on the topic wouldn't hurt but the brunt of the personal statement should be focused on academic pursuits and certainly the omission of extra-curriculars wouldn't outwardly hurt an Oxbridge applicaton.

The PS is NOT just for Oxbridge though is it? You need to write it to fit more than one uni!

Oxford and Cambridge admissions tutors have gone on record with national newspapers saying they were puzzled applicants added irrelevant information about music exams when applying to maths etc on their personal statements.

As I stated though other universities do consider them so they are fine to mention but should not take up an inordinate amount of space.

You are just arguing for the sake of arguing, as usual.
(edited 2 years ago)
The PS is NOT just for Oxbridge though is it? You need to write it to fit more than one uni!

It is not, that is why I outlined Oxbridge admissions specifically. Even then I don't think extra-curriculars are really all that important if you have the grades for an Oxbridge application barring certain subjects. I always assumed it was for students with less academic profiles to demonstrate some value to universities, I didn't include any on mine and got 5 offers from non-oxbridge universities. For A*AA+ students, certain courses boast 80%+ admissions rates so how much football you played isn't really going to add much value if I'm honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending