Questions about what I'll need for Uni of Leicester when I start next month

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This day next month, I'll be moving into my student accommodation but I still have a lot of questions that need answering so I know what to bring and not to bring. Thanks in advance if you do answer

1. Is there a student gym in Oadby Village? Or are the only ones next to the Uni?
2. How does membership in the student gyms work? Do I just pay the money upfront and then I can use it whenever I want all academic year? Or do you just pay a certain amount each month?
3. How big are the beds in the single ensuites. Are they single beds or are they double beds?
4. Will I need to bring some covers, pillows, bedsheets, etc or are they all provided, including if it gets dirty and needs cleaning.
5. How does washing clothes work? How much does it cost and will I need to buy the products I'd need to buy normally at home for it?
6. Is there an area to peg clothes or not? Also is there a place to iron clothes as obviously both may be needed.
7. How do bus passes work for the shuttle bus? Where can I get a bus pass for it and how much does it cost with the bus pass?
8. Are lessons running during freshers week?
9. How much money on average is spent during freshers week?
10. Is it easy to get a job nearby or not? Saying this because I don't think I've got enough money to afford living where I'm going to live next month without a job.
11. How much hours of lessons are there a week?
12. Are there any days where I won't have a lesson?
13. Where will I be able to buy the revision guides etc for my chosen subject?
14. How do the halls work? Will I be sharing with only people the same gender as me or will it be a mixture of both genders?
15. Do most people in the uni halls know someone going into Uni?
16. How often do the shuttle buses come?
17. I'm sharing a kitchen with some others as I live in a single ensuite or at least I'll be moving into one. Are there locks that can stop roommates from nicking groceries I'll buy for myself to cook? As I know people from other unis that would buy stuff and their roommates would nick it for themselves to eat. So I'm hoping there's a lock so no one goes near what I put in the fridge, freezer or the cupboards.
18. Are there study areas in Oadby Village, especially laptop areas too or is our room the only place for that?
19. Is there such thing as predicted grades in Uni? If so, how will these be assessed?
20. Will teachers tell or at least provide us with resources of how to find their pastpapers.
nocheloche
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I lived in the student village in Bowder Court 4 years ago now, but I can still answer most of these.

(Original post by Anonymous)
1. Is there a student gym in Oadby Village? Or are the only ones next to the Uni?
Yes, the Roger Bettles Sports Centre is located within the student village.

2. How does membership in the student gyms work? Do I just pay the money upfront and then I can use it whenever I want all academic year? Or do you just pay a certain amount each month?
Read https://le.ac.uk/sports/membership
If you still have questions, feel free to post them.

3. How big are the beds in the single ensuites. Are they single beds or are they double beds?
Single, usually. This information should have been provided to you by the accommodation office via email/ on the accommodation website.

4. Will I need to bring some covers, pillows, bedsheets, etc or are they all provided, including if it gets dirty and needs cleaning.
Again, this information should have been provided to you via email/on the accommodation website. But yes, for the bed all that comes with the room is a mattress and bed frame- you have to bring everything else yourself.
https://le.ac.uk/study/welcome/your-...s/what-to-pack details items you should bring with you.

5. How does washing clothes work? How much does it cost and will I need to buy the products I'd need to buy normally at home for it?
There's onsite laundry services. You get a pre-paid card (which you can top up online) which you use to start the washing machine or dryer. It was a few pounds for both- I have no idea how much, nor if that has changed. That information is given to you in a pamphlet you receive when you arrive in person to pick up the keys.
When I lived there, the machines did not work properly if you used powdered detergent or fabric softener- you could only use washing machine capsules.

6. Is there an area to peg clothes or not? Also is there a place to iron clothes as obviously both may be needed.
There wasn't anywhere to peg clothes in my accommodation.
Each flat came with an ironing board and an iron- I can't say it was used often though. When it was, people would usually take it into their room and then put it back once they were done.

7. How do bus passes work for the shuttle bus? Where can I get a bus pass for it and how much does it cost with the bus pass?
Read https://le.ac.uk/study/undergraduate...odation/travel

8. Are lessons running during freshers week?
Unless you are a medical student, no.

9. How much money on average is spent during freshers week?
That depends on how many events you want to go to, if you buy the wristband, whether you will buy alcohol etc.

10. Is it easy to get a job nearby or not? Saying this because I don't think I've got enough money to afford living where I'm going to live next month without a job.
Yeah, I remember it being expensive to live there. Quite a few people I know had and have jobs whilst studying, but I don't know any more than that. There are also job opportunities to be a student ambassador for the uni, which one of my friends did. https://www.unitemps.com/branches/un...-of-leicester/ is constantly updated with jobs that are available to do at the university.

11. How much hours of lessons are there a week? 12. Are there any days where I won't have a lesson?
Depends on your course.

13. Where will I be able to buy the revision guides etc for my chosen subject?
Book stores...? The library will have textbooks you can read online or borrow too.
Though, it is worth noting that university isn't like high school. The course or module you are doing is likely highly specific to the university you are attending, so it is unlikely there will be a revision guide for it specifically.

14. How do the halls work? Will I be sharing with only people the same gender as me or will it be a mixture of both genders?
You would have had to choose when applying for accommodation whether you wanted single-sex accommodation or not. So only you know the answer to that.

15. Do most people in the uni halls know someone going into Uni?
I mean, maybe?

16. How often do the shuttle buses come?
Read https://www.centrebus.info/bus-servi...cester-city/u/

17. I'm sharing a kitchen with some others as I live in a single ensuite or at least I'll be moving into one. Are there locks that can stop roommates from nicking groceries I'll buy for myself to cook? As I know people from other unis that would buy stuff and their roommates would nick it for themselves to eat. So I'm hoping there's a lock so no one goes near what I put in the fridge, freezer or the cupboards.
In my accommodation there weren't locks on cupboards in the kitchen. If you're concerned, you could keep any groceries that don't need to be in the fridge/freezer in your room. There weren't any issues of flatmates stealing food from each other that I was aware of, though.

18. Are there study areas in Oadby Village, especially laptop areas too or is our room the only place for that?
Yes. Read https://le.ac.uk/study/undergraduate...s/study-spaces

20. Will teachers tell or at least provide us with resources of how to find their pastpapers.
Probably, if your course has past papers (for example, the medical course at Leicester doesn't). They'll be available online anyway so you can find them yourself.
Last edited by nocheloche; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (112)
86.82%
No (17)
13.18%

Watched Threads