The Student Room Group

Deferring, change course?

If I defer can I change my course to a very similar subject or will I need to reapply via UCAS?
If you have a confirmed place and want to defer entry until next year, you need to contact the university. If you're wanting to change the course you're doing with them, you will need to contact them for that as well. Considering you're wanting to change course and start next year I don't think the availability of a place would be an issue, so it would just depend on if you meet the entry requirements for that course and they might ask you to write another personal statement/explain why you want to change course if the one you're switching to is quite different from your original.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
If you have a confirmed place and want to defer entry until next year, you need to contact the university. If you're wanting to change the course you're doing with them, you will need to contact them for that as well. Considering you're wanting to change course and start next year I don't think the availability of a place would be an issue, so it would just depend on if you meet the entry requirements for that course and they might ask you to write another personal statement/explain why you want to change course if the one you're switching to is quite different from your original.

Good luck :smile:

Just wanted to add sorry, if you're wanting to do a different course with a different university you will need to start another application. In order to do that, you wouldn't be able to keep any offers/accepted places you have for this year or for deferred entry to next year.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Just wanted to add sorry, if you're wanting to do a different course with a different university you will need to start another application. In order to do that, you wouldn't be able to keep any offers/accepted places you have for this year or for deferred entry to next year.

Thank you. I’ll try and get through to them.
Hi there, I am in a similar situation to you. I want to defer a year and look for an apprenticeship. If I can't find an apprenticeship, then I will be doing a degree. If the college doesn't accept me defferring, can I decline the place and reapply next year?
Original post by Haroon Usman
Hi there, I am in a similar situation to you. I want to defer a year and look for an apprenticeship. If I can't find an apprenticeship, then I will be doing a degree. If the college doesn't accept me defferring, can I decline the place and reapply next year?

Yes, in that case you just wouldn’t enrol and would be free to apply again next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending