iPad or Laptop to study English at Uni?

Watch this thread
GeorgiaJ2003
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello,
I’m going to University to study English with Education as I want to be an English teacher.
I’m torn between buying an IPad as I already have a laptop but I am planning to go paperless meaning I want to write up all my notes on a device.
I know that with iPads note taking is so so much quicker and you can alter them to look nice (I’m a visual learner so having nice notes really helps me) then I’d use my laptops for essays as I know there will be a lot of that!
I was just wondering if this is necessary? Will I be able to make speedy notes with just a laptop or will it make sense for me to invest in an iPad due to going paperless?

Thank you
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
Totally depends on your learning style, but personally I wouldn't say an iPad would make notes during a lecture quicker
It would be useful when condensing notes for revision etc imo
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by GeorgiaJ2003)
Hello,
I’m going to University to study English with Education as I want to be an English teacher.
I’m torn between buying an IPad as I already have a laptop but I am planning to go paperless meaning I want to write up all my notes on a device.
I know that with iPads note taking is so so much quicker and you can alter them to look nice (I’m a visual learner so having nice notes really helps me) then I’d use my laptops for essays as I know there will be a lot of that!
I was just wondering if this is necessary? Will I be able to make speedy notes with just a laptop or will it make sense for me to invest in an iPad due to going paperless?

Thank you
Hey!

In my personal experience of using both a laptop/and iPad with Apple Pencil I’ve found that working and making notes on a laptop is much quicker and often easier, but using iPad to create nice looking notes is much more fun! Like you, I really enjoy having notes that are nice to look at and using the iPad really helps with that. GoodNotes and Notability are the pretty common note taking apps so maybe have a look at some YouTube content of people using those apps to see if it would suit you? I think anything that makes your experience of learning more fun is definitely something worth considering!

Good luck with whatever you choose, and have a brilliant time at uni!

Best wishes,
Danielle
Film and Television Studies
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by GeorgiaJ2003)
Hello,

Thank you
Hi there,

Congratulations on getting into University!

I would suggest starting off with your laptop, and seeing how you get on with it. IPads are a big investment, and they don't work for everyone - so you want to make sure that it definitely works for you before you buy it! I know my friend uses her IPad for lecturers, but my other friend used to but doesn't anymore because she realised that she prefers to type. It really is personal preference! However, I would suggest if you are going to buy an IPad, try and get a good deal - as sometimes companies run student deals like 'free airpods' or gifts if you buy an IPad, and that can save you a bit of money in the long run!

Hope that's helpful

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (92)
19.96%
The paper was reasonable (176)
38.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.81%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
16.05%

Watched Threads