LLT05
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm planning on taking a Chemistry A-Level online, and was wondering how much entry fees are for the three written exams and 4 practicals?
moonanisar17
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I've just applied to do my exams privately and this is going off what I've researched.
I can't find many places willing to do a practical. My provider (cloudlearn) offers a practical lab thing for £1500
For the papers, it often ranges from £150-£400 per paper depending on where you go.

edit: your exam board also affects these rates
Last edited by moonanisar17; 1 month ago
biob0ss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by moonanisar17)
Hey! I've just applied to do my exams privately and this is going off what I've researched.
I can't find many places willing to do a practical. My provider (cloudlearn) offers a practical lab thing for £1500
For the papers, it often ranges from £150-£400 per paper depending on where you go.

edit: your exam board also affects these rates
Do you have to take part in the practicals or can I just sit the papers? Will they organise where the exams are, and apply for you?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LLT05)
I'm planning on taking a Chemistry A-Level online, and was wondering how much entry fees are for the three written exams and 4 practicals?
A lot. If you're doing it with a recognised extension college, the examinations plus practical endorsement is usually about £2000. Unless you can find a Centre willing to host you for the NEA and examination entry, then that's the only option.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
A lot. If you're doing it with a recognised extension college, the examinations plus practical endorsement is usually about £2000. Unless you can find a Centre willing to host you for the NEA and examination entry, then that's the only option.
£2000? for one subject? damn that's insane!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
£2000? for one subject? damn that's insane!
I know - quite ridiculous. Blame this terrible government and the ones that went before for removing all FE funding for adult A level provision, and pushing people into having to do Access courses (which aren't the right option for everyone).

About £1300 of this is for the NEA (practical endorsement). Non-science based A levels, which don't have this NEA, are less expensive.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know - quite ridiculous. Blame this terrible government and the ones that went before for removing all FE funding for adult A level provision, and pushing people into having to do Access courses (which aren't the right option for everyone).

About £1300 of this is for the NEA (practical endorsement). Non-science based A levels, which don't have this NEA, are less expensive.
still £1300 just for practiclal is crazy! so non-practical a-level costs £700? that's not as crazy as £2000 but still quite expensive
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
still £1300 just for practiclal is crazy! so non-practical a-level costs £700? that's not as crazy as £2000 but still quite expensive
£1500-£2000 for a science A level is about the norm now: and I agree, it's ridiculous. The cheapest way is to study it yourself, and become friendly with a teacher who will allow you to do the NEA in your school and also sit the examination as an external candidate. This can reduce the cost to almost the exam fee only (about £95 per A level) plus any extra costs the school adds for admin etc.
biob0ss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
£1500-£2000 for a science A level is about the norm now: and I agree, it's ridiculous. The cheapest way is to study it yourself, and become friendly with a teacher who will allow you to do the NEA in your school and also sit the examination as an external candidate. This can reduce the cost to almost the exam fee only (about £95 per A level) plus any extra costs the school adds for admin etc.
Isn't there a place where I only have to pay for the exam? What's with all the additional costs if I don't want a tutor/can teach myself.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by biob0ss)
Isn't there a place where I only have to pay for the exam? What's with all the additional costs if I don't want a tutor/can teach myself.
No, it doesn't work like this. All science A levels now have a non-examined assessment (NEA) called the practical endorsement. This is where you complete a twelve practicals and a teacher signs off your competency in these. This is then forwarded to the exam board and you are given a 'pass' in the practical component of the qualification (note this is different from being examined in the practical content, which happens in the main three papers). Without the practical endorsement, the qualification is usually worthless because nearly all universities will insist on a pass in the NEA for the A level to count.
EOData
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which exam board are you studying? Specs approved for teaching in UK state schools all have the 12 practicals for the NEA but international specs, and the Welsh and Northern Irish, have something different.

Why are you taking A level Chemistry? If you need it for a university course then check if the university requires you to pass the practicals. If they don't, or you are just doing it for fun (and you're taking a spec for England) then you can just opt to miss them out as they don't affect your overall grade. Any centre accepting you as a private candidate has to offer you the chance to do the practicals but you don't have to take them up on that offer.
moonanisar17
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by biob0ss)
Do you have to take part in the practicals or can I just sit the papers? Will they organise where the exams are, and apply for you?
Yes they will do everything for you and you can just sit the papers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (233)
57.25%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (52)
12.78%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.06%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.85%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed