The Student Room Group

Geography help on river passing through many countries..

Please could someone help me with this question: issues when a river flows through more than 1 country

So far I’ve got
-over abstraction
-water conflict
-one country may want to build a dam but others could be against it due to urbanisation + population growth
-demand for more water to meet industrial needs

I’m not sure if they are even right
Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh no I think I posted this in the wrong forum please could it be moved not sure who to tag @04MR17 @CoolCavy @Vapordave ??
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
Oh no I think I posted this in the wrong forum please could it be moved not sure who to tag @04MR17 @CoolCavy @Vapordave ??

Seems to be in the right forum now (Geography study Help) so it looks like one of my esteemed colleagues has potentially moved it already. :awesome:
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
Please could someone help me with this question: issues when a river flows through more than 1 country

So far I’ve got
-over abstraction
-water conflict
-one country may want to build a dam but others could be against it due to urbanisation + population growth
-demand for more water to meet industrial needs

I’m not sure if they are even right
Thanks!
I may as well try to help while I'm here.

Is the question asking you to list issues, or explain them?

Don't know what over abstraction is, sorry.
Water conflict sounds correct.
As does disagreements over dams.
Bit confused by the demand for more water, who is demanding it and how is this an issue?

Could there be issues with policing the river borders? People travelling across the border, verifying they're allowed to cross from one country to the next. Also goods and the risk of smuggling.

Is there a pollution element?
One country dumps a load of rubbish into the river and it flows down into other countries, who have to look at /deal with it?

That's all I can think of at present
Original post by 04MR17
I may as well try to help while I'm here.

Is the question asking you to list issues, or explain them?

Don't know what over abstraction is, sorry.
Water conflict sounds correct.
As does disagreements over dams.
Bit confused by the demand for more water, who is demanding it and how is this an issue?

Could there be issues with policing the river borders? People travelling across the border, verifying they're allowed to cross from one country to the next. Also goods and the risk of smuggling.

Is there a pollution element?
One country dumps a load of rubbish into the river and it flows down into other countries, who have to look at /deal with it?

That's all I can think of at present

It just says suggest issues so I assume just list

One country May demand more water to meet their needs which would be industrial, economical or due to population growth

Please could you explain what you mean by this People travelling across the border, verifying they're allowed to cross from one country to the next.

Oh yes I didn’t think of pollution

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 5
You could divide a response to an essay question into physical problems to do with water quality, water volume, flow of the river from upstream to downstream etc and the economic causes of these problems to do with water security, providing water for industrial, commercial and domestic use, hydroelectric power and electricity generation, annual supply of water during dry seasons and so on. A reduced flow downstream, eg from China to Vietnam along the Mekong River or Ethiopia to Egypt and Sudan along the River Nile can threaten the productivity and crop yield for rice and wheat grown along the fertile soil in downstream and deltaic regions of the river (Mekong Delta, Nile Delta).

Another aspect of water bodies and rivers flowing over international borders is the idea of a "transboundary issue" related to political treaties, governance and geopolitical discussions. Is one nation state or political actor using the water resource with disregard for the downstream neighbour? Would overuse and storage of water in dams for hydroelectric power at the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam and water security during the dry season reduce crop yield and irrigation input from the River Nile for Egyptian farmers? This video is excellent and discusses many issues of the River Nile and geopolitical tensions between Egypt and Ethiopia regarding water use in the River Nile. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BCY0SPOFpE
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ðeggs
You could divide a response to an essay question into physical problems to do with water quality, water volume, flow of the river from upstream to downstream etc and the economic causes of these problems to do with water security, providing water for industrial, commercial and domestic use, hydroelectric power and electricity generation, annual supply of water during dry seasons and so on. A reduced flow downstream, eg from China to Vietnam along the Mekong River or Ethiopia to Egypt and Sudan along the River Nile can threaten the productivity and crop yield for rice and wheat grown along the fertile soil in downstream and deltaic regions of the river (Mekong Delta, Nile Delta).

Another aspect of water bodies and rivers flowing over international borders is the idea of a "transboundary issue" related to political treaties, governance and geopolitical discussions. Is one nation state or political actor using the water resource with disregard for the downstream neighbour? Would overuse and storage of water in dams for hydroelectric power at the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam and water security during the dry season reduce crop yield and irrigation input from the River Nile for Egyptian farmers? This video is excellent and discusses many issues of the River Nile and geopolitical tensions between Egypt and Ethiopia regarding water use in the River Nile. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BCY0SPOFpE

Thank you for this and also for the video! :smile:

However, there’s another question related to this question which states: how do the issues you have identified when a river flows through more than one country become more acute because of Egypt’s human and physical geographical characteristics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending