The Student Room Group

Can I apply to Oxbridge?

Hello, so I'm homeschooled and took my gcses as private candidate and I got good results (8 9's) and right now I'm studying A-levels and I took Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Math as my subjects. I really want to apply to Oxbridge (Oxford specifically) to study Earth Science, Chemistry or Biochem (haven't decided) in 2023 but can i apply though? will i get rejected automatically since i don't have reference or predicted grades and I'm planning to apply with actual grades instead of predicted as in i'll apply after i finish my A-levels, is this possible?
I've never heard of being able to just apply with A-Level grades, but I really think a reference is vital for oxbridge
Original post by Arihamilton
Hello, so I'm homeschooled and took my gcses as private candidate and I got good results (8 9's) and right now I'm studying A-levels and I took Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Math as my subjects. I really want to apply to Oxbridge (Oxford specifically) to study Earth Science, Chemistry or Biochem (haven't decided) in 2023 but can i apply though? will i get rejected automatically since i don't have reference or predicted grades and I'm planning to apply with actual grades instead of predicted as in i'll apply after i finish my A-levels, is this possible?

Best to contact whichever faculty you’re thinking of applying to.
And make everything you’ve said here clear - they could even say you it’s worth u applying this year idk if any of us really know about applying with homeschooling but ik the faculties at Oxbridge are helpful when you’re trying to understand something like what you’re going through.
@Oxford Mum might be able to help.
Reply 5
Original post by moonanisar17
I've never heard of being able to just apply with A-Level grades, but I really think a reference is vital for oxbridge

so i can't apply with just A-level grades even if they're good?
Reply 6
Original post by TheClaimsGuys
Best to contact whichever faculty you’re thinking of applying to.

I will!
so i can't apply with just A-level grades even if they're good?

Yes you can apply with achieved grades - gap year students do it all the time.

Lack of an academic reference is a problem. I'd suggest contacting Oxford/Cambridge and ask them for advice on what to do for a reference if you're homeschooled. I imagine it's not the first time the situation has come up.
Reply 8
Original post by TheClaimsGuys
And make everything you’ve said here clear - they could even say you it’s worth u applying this year idk if any of us really know about applying with homeschooling but ik the faculties at Oxbridge are helpful when you’re trying to understand something like what you’re going through.

I'll be applying next year for 2023, I really hope they're understanding! and i have a really good reason and explanation as to why I'm homeschooling I hope that'll convince them to at least not reject me on spot
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes you can apply with achieved grades - gap year students do it all the time.

Lack of an academic reference is a problem. I'd suggest contacting Oxford/Cambridge and ask them for advice on what to do for a reference if you're homeschooled. I imagine it's not the first time the situation has come up.

well I guess I'll be doing that! but do i still need reference even if i have a strong personal statement?
well I guess I'll be doing that! but do i still need reference even if i have a strong personal statement?

Yes normally a reference is required. The uni have no real evidence that the personal statement was written by you rather than your parents, an "admissions agent" or some essay mill. The academic reference gives them a concrete contact who has provided an external perspective on your academic aptitude based on close familiarity with your academic abilities.
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes normally a reference is required. The uni have no real evidence that the personal statement was written by you rather than your parents, an "admissions agent" or some essay mill. The academic reference gives them a concrete contact who has provided an external perspective on your academic aptitude based on close familiarity with your academic abilities.

Ok!! thank you!! guess i'll talk to them
It might be worth getting a tutor for the last year of studying, even just once a week or fortnight. They might be able to give an acceptable reference.
Any non-family members/friends active in your academic life could provide one.
Achieved grades are fine lots of people apply with them.
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
It might be worth getting a tutor for the last year of studying, even just once a week or fortnight. They might be able to give an acceptable reference.
Any non-family members/friends active in your academic life could provide one.
Achieved grades are fine lots of people apply with them.

So do I need a tutor for every subject? I'm the only one active in my academic life.... thank you!!!
So do I need a tutor for every subject? I'm the only one active in my academic life.... thank you!!!

Not at all - it just means that then you will have someone who knows your academic ability who isn't a friend or family member, so they can give a reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending