is 20/21 too old to start uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i know that no one is 'too old' for uni, but will i be seen as too old to be a first year student by the other students? i'm 19 and im thinking of deferring my place until sep 2022 due to mental health and i cant make my mind up about whether i want to even do my course. i could start uni and see how it goes, is that recommended instead?
thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
no. Stop caring about age and just focus on your degree.
There are different people starting education at many ages.
moonanisar17
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I will also be 20 when I start uni. It doesn't matter at all. There are people 60 years old getting degrees, you're never too old
*****deadness
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No one can even tell between an 18 and 20 year old unless you tell them. I'm 20 and will start next month but age is the least of my worries.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i know that no one is 'too old' for uni, but will i be seen as too old to be a first year student by the other students? i'm 19 and im thinking of deferring my place until sep 2022 due to mental health and i cant make my mind up about whether i want to even do my course. i could start uni and see how it goes, is that recommended instead?
thank you
no it shouldn’t matter what other people think of you, I’m starting uni at 20 because there’s some circumstances that caused me to be unable to join, and yet I have realized I shouldn’t focus on what others think of me, they didn’t go through what I did and thus what they think doesn’t matter, why should you put expiry dates on when things begin or not? Remember it doesn’t matter when you start, it matters that you’re working towards your goals. I wish you good luck!!
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
Your never too old to start uni. Start when you feel ready.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you
Hi there,

You most definitely will not be 'too old' for University! You have to choose what's best for you, and if that means starting at 21 then so be it! There's such a wide variety of people at University with different ages - I can almost guarantee that you won't be the only 21 year old starting University My friend started University at 24 and he's loving life, so don't let age put you off, it's only a number at the end of the day!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The problem is not your age, it's your motivation. Don't go if you don't know that you want to do the course - that would waste your time and take a place from someone that really wants it.

What is the course, and what are your (significant) doubts? Are they over the course, or getting enough support?
Anonymous #5
Report 1 month ago
I’m in a similar position. I’m 19 and I’m thinking of deferring because I can’t get into my desired course this year. My advice: don’t worry, two years difference is nothing.
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope you’ll be fine - I was 21 last year when I started
A lot of my flatmates were 19 / 20 you couldn’t notice the age gap :nah:
LittleBear04
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I started at 21 and nobody asked or cared. You will find a variety of ages at University - 21 being considered pretty young.

Ignore previous students with stories of ‘you are too old’, it’s common for scare stories like this, but it’s not true.
Wise Goldie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Nope you’ll be fine - I was 21 last year when I started
A lot of my flatmates were 19 / 20 you couldn’t notice the age gap :nah:
why you start so late?

but cant you go uni even in 30s?
TinyPizza256
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you
No, I don't think that 20 is too old to start university. Anyway it's more important to look after yourself whilst you prepare for uni, especially if your in a bad place regarding mental health, trust me as someone who is starting this year getting everything sorted on time has been super stressful and I'm not even done yet so you also get more time to prepare and get everything ready for next year
TinyPizza256
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TinyPizza256)
No, I don't think that 20 is too old to start university. Anyway it's more important to look after yourself whilst you prepare for uni, especially if your in a bad place regarding mental health, trust me as someone who is starting this year getting everything sorted on time has been super stressful and I'm not even done yet so you also get more time to prepare and get everything ready for next year
Also if it makes you feel better my Grandma did her degree fairly recently
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TinyPizza256)
thank you so so much for this <3
Anonymous #1
I’m in a similar position. I’m 19 and I’m thinking of deferring because I can’t get into my desired course this year. My advice: don’t worry, two years difference is nothing.
bless, thank you so much for this. if you ever wanna talk privately about your situation my messages are always open i understand how hard it is to decide
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you
One of my best friends is 26 about 4 others are 23 and 2 are 22. Don’t worry about age!
JVM2020
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nobody is too old for University

You can seek counselling for your worries.

I know people who started University over 30. Everybody has their assignment.
dangermau5e
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m currently in my 2nd week of uni. I’m in my early 30’s and living in student accommodation. My flat mates and all the neighbouring flats are all 18-21 ish and I get on really well with everyone. I don’t go out to clubs with them often but they always try and persuade me to come anyway! They appreciate having somebody with a bit more life experience around and I’m certainly the go to guy for advice.

Three of my closest friends are all 18 and as we have a lot in common in terms of interests, the whole age thing isn’t a barrier one little bit. Anybody going to university at a slightly older age will naturally find the people that they gel with. Age difference really isn’t a negative thing unless you allow it to be. I was told this by others before going and now I can see for myself how true it is!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (316)
57.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.92%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.86%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.06%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.8%

Watched Threads