The Student Room Group

I have to get vaccines tomorrow and I'm terrified of needles.

Tomorrow I'm getting my meningitis/polio tetanus vaccines and I am terrified like shooketh. I'm not against vaccines or scared of what's in them bc there's no reason to but I'm just blummin terrified of needles and they have to do 2 and I'm literally gonna quake and probably cry and that is just embarrasing so yeah lol any help would be appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Looking away helps :smile:
Reply 2
Idk if this helps, but focus on something else in the room, if you can, when getting your vaccines.
Original post by Vapordave
Looking away helps :smile:

Original post by JCS/
Idk if this helps, but focus on something else in the room, if you can, when getting your vaccines.

Ty, I think it's just because they do it as two so it's gonna take longer. And my appointment is like 4pm aswell so the build up to it is literal torture
I'm not a huge fan of needles either but over the past few years I've gotten a lot more comfortable with them by looking at something else in the room. A lot of the time doctor's offices will have an eye test chart on the wall with all the letters on it, I usually try and test myself on that while they're putting any needles in. You could also ask your doctor to count down when they're doing it if that helps. I'm sure it's not their first time dealing with someone who doesn't like needles and that they'll be able to understand and help :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by thrivingfrog
Tomorrow I'm getting my meningitis/polio tetanus vaccines and I am terrified like shooketh. I'm not against vaccines or scared of what's in them bc there's no reason to but I'm just blummin terrified of needles and they have to do 2 and I'm literally gonna quake and probably cry and that is just embarrasing so yeah lol any help would be appreciated

Just don't get it, then :smile:
I'm 18 years old and completely vaccine-free and happy as can be!!:smile::smile:
Original post by econmitch
I'm not a huge fan of needles either but over the past few years I've gotten a lot more comfortable with them by looking at something else in the room. A lot of the time doctor's offices will have an eye test chart on the wall with all the letters on it, I usually try and test myself on that while they're putting any needles in. You could also ask your doctor to count down when they're doing it if that helps. I'm sure it's not their first time dealing with someone who doesn't like needles and that they'll be able to understand and help :smile:

Ty, I've always been scared ever since I can remeber (idk why I have asthma so I had the flu one every year until like 3 years ago so I should be used to it) but I think I feel worse this time because its two, and the last time I had injections it was my second HPV and I had a reaction to it, not major but still enough to terrify me and I was fine with these when I was a baby but I'm just terrified.
Original post by Kate4
I'm 18 years old and completely vaccine-free and happy as can be!!:smile::smile:

It's not that I don't want it/am against it I'm just terrified of needles
Reply 8
Oh, I see.
Can't you wear a pair of headphones and listen to some calming music during that period?!

Not sure if this helps but I tend to grab part of the chair that I'm sat on when I have my jabs done. I find helps relieve the little bit of pain I feel when they inject them
Reply 10
Original post by TinyPizza256
Not sure if this helps but I tend to grab part of the chair that I'm sat on when I have my jabs done. I find helps relieve the little bit of pain I feel when they inject them

Yikes!! Now I am glad I don't have vaccinations!! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Kate4

"Between 2010 and 2017, the mortality rate of children under 5 years of age declined by nearly a quarter.1 Measles vaccines alone prevented 25.5 million deaths since 2000, and enormous progress towards the eradication of polio which can cause lifelong paralysis and sometimes death have brought cases down by over 99% since 1988.2,3" WHO

It's rather sad that you seem to think ignoring decades of medical advancement is something to be proud of.

There's nothing to worry about as just look opposite way and then before you know it the needle in & out without you feeling it.

I'm a NHS nurse and you'll be fine okay.
Hi, I know it seems like having two will make it take way longer but realistically, the whole appointment will probably only be about 15 minutes, and most of that will be asking questions about your health, allergies etc. The actual jabs will only take a couple of minutes and you can look away whilst it's being done and prepared etc.
Original post by Kate4

You appreciate that vaccination is not offered purely for your personal benefit?

That the lives of countless babies, children and older people have been saved because most people are unselfish enough to put those lives ahead of temporary personal incovenience?

That if everyone took your advice, thousands would die?
Ty, I've always been scared ever since I can remeber (idk why I have asthma so I had the flu one every year until like 3 years ago so I should be used to it) but I think I feel worse this time because its two, and the last time I had injections it was my second HPV and I had a reaction to it, not major but still enough to terrify me and I was fine with these when I was a baby but I'm just terrified.

Yeah it's totally understandable. It doesn't feel natural to basically be stabbed with a sharp little object lol. Is there any way you could ask to space them out and maybe do them a day or two apart to cause less anxiety for you? Again I'm sure it's not the first time your doctors have faced this cause plenty of people feel the same.

I actually just watched this video and it seems pretty good for overcoming a fear of infections https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBb_x7A8VS8 (maybe just listen to it if you don't like the sight of needles though). Maybe reading up on how needles work and what is going on during the process of an injection could also help understand and overcome it?
It's not that I don't want it/am against it I'm just terrified of needles

I recommend loud swearing
Original post by OxFossil
I recommend loud swearing

I would but my dad is taking me and I'd rather not got beaten up afterwards yk
I would but my dad is taking me and I'd rather not got beaten up afterwards yk

Tell him it's recommended by science https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisonescalante/2020/05/01/swearing-the-fastest-acting-pain-reliever-of-them-all/?sh=306f0b2025fa
Take it from someone who was so bad with needles the mention of them would send me into a panic attack (I would also scream the ward down at the sight of a needle) and doctors and nurses would have to pin me down for blood tests etc (fear developed due to years of this and constant blood tests)… the best way I have learnt to deal with it is to remember if I don’t get those vaccines it could lead to far more needles in the long term if I end up in hospital due to getting a very preventable illness. I don’t want to be attached to all sorts machines (imagine the amount of needles that would involve) so to prevent that I just have to endure one small prick of a vaccine! My psychologist helped me to understand this as it helped me to rationalise and put into perspective just how insignificant a little vaccine is in the long term :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest