The Student Room Group

Is acupuncture a pseudo-science/placebo or does it actually work for stress?

I am just wondering does acupuncture actually work for stress or is it all placebo? If it works- what is the science behind it/how does it work?
I'm not sure about what if any biological/physiological basis it has, but I would suggest that doesn't necessarily imply any positive effects are purely placebo. There is I think growing evidence in "social medicine" considering the social determinants of disease and some suggesting that engaging in the community and with one's culture can influence health. It may well be that at least in some frames its effects could be down to the influence of engaging positively in traditional cultural practices.

Not that I think it's suitable as a sole therapeutic measure for anything necessarily but in concert with modern medical approaches I think there could be something to say for it beyond writing it off as placebo :smile:

There are alternatives to categorising things as science vs pseudo-science though - things can be understood from social and humanistic perspectives too!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
I'm not sure about what if any biological/physiological basis it has, but I would suggest that doesn't necessarily imply any positive effects are purely placebo. There is I think growing evidence in "social medicine" considering the social determinants of disease and some suggesting that engaging in the community and with one's culture can influence health. It may well be that at least in some frames its effects could be down to the influence of engaging positively in traditional cultural practices.

Not that I think it's suitable as a sole therapeutic measure for anything necessarily but in concert with modern medical approaches I think there could be something to say for it beyond writing it off as placebo :smile:

Acupuncture is not part of my culture- I am European. But just someone recommended it to me for stress and wondering if there is any benefit in getting it or not really. Have an exam in less than 2 weeks and really feel the stress. :frown:
Maybe can offer some words of wisdom?
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Acupuncture is not part of my culture- I am European. But just someone recommended it to me for stress and wondering if there is any benefit in getting it or not really. Have an exam in less than 2 weeks and really feel the stress. :frown:

For acute stress in a short term situation I think personally I'd be skeptical of if making a big difference practically...still if you have the time/money to commit to it and are hopefully also pursuing other options to help with stress relief (e.g. also discussing with your GP if there is anything to consider from a longer term mental health and wellbeing perspective as well) I guess you might not have much to lose?

I doubt it would be a sudden panacea though :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
For stress, it's placebo
Original post by artful_lounger
For acute stress in a short term situation I think personally I'd be skeptical of if making a big difference practically...still if you have the time/money to commit to it and are hopefully also pursuing other options to help with stress relief (e.g. also discussing with your GP if there is anything to consider from a longer term mental health and wellbeing perspective as well) I guess you might not have much to lose?

I doubt it would be a sudden panacea though :frown:

Already under mental health services and they do not care about anyone and what your problems are in reality, especially if you have BPD, no one really cares and you get treated like a nuisance and not even human. I could write a long essay how mental health services and especially GPs are terrible for mental health but I will save myself the bother.

Have you tried it yourself before? I'm sceptical of websites, I usually go to science journals.
Have you tried it yourself before? I'm sceptical of websites, I usually go to science journals.

No- I'm not keen on needles and would never try acumpuncture myself.

This BioMed Central journal may be relevant to you: https://annals-general-psychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12991-021-00327-5
Already under mental health services and they do not care about anyone and what your problems are in reality, especially if you have BPD, no one really cares and you get treated like a nuisance and not even human. I could write a long essay how mental health services and especially GPs are terrible for mental health but I will save myself the bother.

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: unfortunately I do think it's true that provision of services for mental health varies wildly and all too many aren't able to really provide the kinds of support they should :s-smilie:

As I said though, I don't think acupuncture is going to be an immediate cure-all but it may help and I guess it's more of a question of the opportunity cost of whether you do/don't do it. What would you do instead, would trying it prevent you from doing something else, would not doing it potentially leave you in a worse place than at least trying etc. It might just be that you have nothing to lose by giving it a go and if it doesn't work then at least you can tell people about the time you tried it for a maybe amusing conversation :colondollar:
Reply 11
i was always under the impression that it was, at best, a placebo .. sticking pins in someone not coming across as the most scientifically advanced anti anxiety/stress medicine/procedure
In my understanding, it is the concomitant chat with the therapists that provides the benefit rather than the acupuncture itself. Why not try it to see if it helps? If it doesn't, you don't have to go back.

It could just be that the kinds of people who go to get acupuncture generally take care of themselves and are less stressed.

Quick Reply

Latest