The Student Room Group

Should I drop maths A-level if I want to do medicine

I'm in year 13 and I'm considering dropping a subject - either maths or psych but firstly I'm not even sure if I will because I don't know if I really want to but if I did, which one would be better to drop?
Only you know the answer to this question. Which do you find more interesting/ easier?
Reply 2
Original post by sai203
I'm in year 13 and I'm considering dropping a subject - either maths or psych but firstly I'm not even sure if I will because I don't know if I really want to but if I did, which one would be better to drop?

maths is very useful but you'd probably be better discussing with a teacher
Reply 3
Original post by sai203

Assuming the other two you are doing are Chemistry and Biology, you are best simply dropping the one you will get the lower grade in. If they aren't though, it might be a different position.
Reply 4
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Only you know the answer to this question. Which do you find more interesting/ easier?

I mean psych is far easier but also I keep hearing everyone say that maths might be more useful and all that so it's honestly really confusing
+ the workload for both is a lot so I can't really go off purely that basis
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sai203
I mean psych is far easier but also I keep hearing everyone say that maths might be more useful and all that so it's honestly really confusing

Well, are you willing to actually get the good grade in maths then?

There’s no point saying it’s useful if you can’t even get a good grade in it.

You have to work for it. Just like any other subject. There‘s no easy way out, so it’s best to pick one you’re at least interested in.
There is a big section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - includes entry requirements : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
Original post by sai203

Hello there! I hope I can give some advice, since I dropped maths three months (a month before my final year 12 exam). Like you, I was stuck between dropping Maths & Psychology. But I chose maths for two key reasons:

1) I will not be applying to Cambridge, which I think is the only university that wants three sciences (even Oxford accept Bio, Chem and any other third subject).

2) Psychology is a subject that I always neglected throughout the year, yet I would always score in the top 5 in my year. Whilst Maths required a lot more work (especially proofs 😭). On this basis, I figured that achieving an A* in psychology would be easier and makes it more likely for me to focus on my other subjects.

Overall, I don’t think you can go wrong tbh. If you are in the state of considering one or the other, it means that you are equally capable in both subjects, so just think back to the lessons / content, and see which one you like most.
Reply 8
Original post by ShadowHokage
Hello there! I hope I can give some advice, since I dropped maths three months (a month before my final year 12 exam). Like you, I was stuck between dropping Maths & Psychology. But I chose maths for two key reasons:

1) I will not be applying to Cambridge, which I think is the only university that wants three sciences (even Oxford accept Bio, Chem and any other third subject).

2) Psychology is a subject that I always neglected throughout the year, yet I would always score in the top 5 in my year. Whilst Maths required a lot more work (especially proofs 😭). On this basis, I figured that achieving an A* in psychology would be easier and makes it more likely for me to focus on my other subjects.

Overall, I don’t think you can go wrong tbh. If you are in the state of considering one or the other, it means that you are equally capable in both subjects, so just think back to the lessons / content, and see which one you like most.

thank you so much!!! i really appreciate you taking the time to help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
There is a big section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - includes entry requirements : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

thank you!!!!
Reply 10
Original post by sai203

I did A Level Maths because I believed this as well when I was doing my A Levels, but trust me drop Maths if you're doing better in Psychology. In med school I have never even had to use a calculator let alone 99% of the stuff I did in maths A Level, we did have to do stats for one experiment but you aren't working out anything you use Excel or SPSS to do all the calculations for you and the med school does show you how to use these programs as well!
(edited 2 years ago)
maths will give you a lot more opportunities
most universities like to see maths a-level
for medicine which is a highly competitive degree you're going to need as much of a headstart as possible
if you want to apply to some pretty competitive universities, maths is going to get your foot through the door
Reply 12
Original post by 90 cent
maths will give you a lot more opportunities
most universities like to see maths a-level
for medicine which is a highly competitive degree you're going to need as much of a headstart as possible
if you want to apply to some pretty competitive universities, maths is going to get your foot through the door

No medical school requires maths and having it is not going to get a foot through the door. Provided you meet A level subject requirements, Cambridge is the only one that will care about your 3rd subject (and they are as happy wiht physics as maths)
Original post by GANFYD
No medical school requires maths and having it is not going to get a foot through the door. Provided you meet A level subject requirements, Cambridge is the only one that will care about your 3rd subject (and they are as happy wiht physics as maths)

I'm not implying that it is obligatory, but when Universities come to offering places to applicants and seeing their applications, having maths as a 3rd automatically puts you in a better position, its just simply more applicable that's it.
Reply 14
Original post by 90 cent
I'm not implying that it is obligatory, but when Universities come to offering places to applicants and seeing their applications, having maths as a 3rd automatically puts you in a better position, its just simply more applicable that's it.

Not really, if they wanted maths they would've said you're just as likely to get an offer if you did Bio Chem and Art than if you did Maths.
Reply 15
Original post by 90 cent

😂😂😂😂
What is your role in medicine admissions?
This is just totally not true. Med schools clearly state how they select applicants and “ignore enything else if they have maths A level” is just not on there!
Original post by sai203

i suppose maths is useful if you're sitting the BMAT but it's by no means necessary or advantageous. SO many people at my school have gotten offers from places like barts, kings, ucl, etc from just bio chem and a subject they enjoy. 3 A's are better than AAB and missing out on your firm
Reply 17
Original post by user987654123
i suppose maths is useful if you're sitting the BMAT but it's by no means necessary or advantageous. SO many people at my school have gotten offers from places like barts, kings, ucl, etc from just bio chem and a subject they enjoy. 3 A's are better than AAB and missing out on your firm

Maths is not needed for ANY med school (although 1 Cambridge College does require maths)!
Fair enough I'm not a med applicant so I'm not the most useful :K:

Quick Reply

Latest