The Student Room Group

Average UCAT

Hi,

Just say my UCAT and got 643, so pretty much average. My num pad wasn’t working for the first 2 sections and i’ve bought this up with Pearson but currently waiting for their reply

My A level predicted grades are A*A*A and I have an AS in physics with grade A. I’m also doing an EPQ if it adds anything

I was looking to apply to unis such as Bristol, Nottingham, Liverpool and Queen Mary’s. I’m guessing Bristol and QM are out of the question so i’ve re evaluated to Liverpool and Leicester but does anyone have any other suggestions which I could apply for?
What are your gcse grades like?
Reply 2
Original post by tidyartefact263
What are your gcse grades like?

One 9 - Biology
Five 8’s - Chem, physics, Maths, business, DT
One 7 - Eng Lang
Two 6 - Eng Lit and IT
One 5 - French
Original post by saraan
One 9 - Biology
Five 8’s - Chem, physics, Maths, business, DT
One 7 - Eng Lang
Two 6 - Eng Lit and IT
One 5 - French

Have you looked into Plymouth there UCAT Threshold for 2020 was 2390.
Original post by saraan
Hi,

Just say my UCAT and got 643, so pretty much average. My num pad wasn’t working for the first 2 sections and i’ve bought this up with Pearson but currently waiting for their reply

My A level predicted grades are A*A*A and I have an AS in physics with grade A. I’m also doing an EPQ if it adds anything

I was looking to apply to unis such as Bristol, Nottingham, Liverpool and Queen Mary’s. I’m guessing Bristol and QM are out of the question so i’ve re evaluated to Liverpool and Leicester but does anyone have any other suggestions which I could apply for?

Bristol and QMUL would undeniably be out of the question sadly. I would've applied for Bristol last year too but I wouldn't have even secured an interview and it is unlikely with your average score that you could. They prefer 690+ average usually. They're quite a high-scoring UCAT uni for interviews. I had a little less than you last year (637.5) and I wish I had done better. I am re-applying this year mainly due to UCAT.

From what I hear, Liverpool isn't highly strong on UCAT but rather on your academic grades from GCSE. You should offer quite a handful of 9s / A*s to apply to Liverpool.

Not 100% sure about Nottingham so I won't comment there. But Leicester -- they normally interview students in and around the 5th Decile for UCAT. That is what your score is, so if your interview strategy is good, I would apply there as a strategic application. They have interview many with low scores in the past. During 2020 entry, someone had an interview with 1970 UCAT score and someone had an offer with having received a score of 2270 in UCAT. However, they could've had other really strong aspects to back up their application. Good luck to you :smile:

I second this. St George's is another strategic place to apply for with low UCAT but, according to 2021 entry threshold, you would not have been invited for interview just as I wasn't (despite applying there strategically). Their UCAT threshold significantly increased from 2480 (I believe) to 2620 due to the competitiveness of the 2021 application cycle.
Reply 6

Yes I have been looking at Plymouth, I hadn’t looked into it much before this so I’ll have to do some more research but it is definitely looking like a good option
Reply 7
Original post by ryanalevel
I second this. St George's is another strategic place to apply for with low UCAT but, according to 2021 entry threshold, you would not have been invited for interview just as I wasn't (despite applying there strategically). Their UCAT threshold significantly increased from 2480 (I believe) to 2620 due to the competitiveness of the 2021 application cycle.

Ah okay so St. George’s likely wouldn’t reap any benefits if the trend continued that way
Original post by saraan
Ah okay so St. George’s likely wouldn’t reap any benefits if the trend continued that way

Probably not. I think this year might be the same or even higher due to a lot of rejections from last year's students reaplying.
Reply 9
Probably not. I think this year might be the same or even higher due to a lot of rejections from last year's students reaplying.

Ah okay, so I’ve got plymouth, leicester and liverpool atm. Are there any others I could be successful with?
Original post by saraan
Ah okay, so I’ve got plymouth, leicester and liverpool atm. Are there any others I could be successful with?

I would usually say Cardiff but I think you'd need a few more 8s/9s at GCSEs to secure. I'm not 10000% sure. Maybe it would be worth considering BMAT in addition and applying to 1 or 2 BMAT unis if you think you could pass that? Exam is start of November and you can "revise" for it more as such than the UCAT.
Another one is Kent and Medway there UCAT threshold for 2021 was 2470.
Reply 12
im not sure for medicine, but i know with dentistry QMUL lets you have a lower UCAT if you have a higher UCAS tariff because it evens out so you might wanna check that out because it sounds like you have a lot of UCAS points
Reply 13
Original post by A.B72
im not sure for medicine, but i know with dentistry QMUL lets you have a lower UCAT if you have a higher UCAS tariff because it evens out so you might wanna check that out because it sounds like you have a lot of UCAS points

If I get an A with my EPQ, that puts me at 208 points, but on QMUL’s website for a UCAT similar to mine they gave interviews to ppl with about 240 points
Reply 14
I would usually say Cardiff but I think you'd need a few more 8s/9s at GCSEs to secure. I'm not 10000% sure. Maybe it would be worth considering BMAT in addition and applying to 1 or 2 BMAT unis if you think you could pass that? Exam is start of November and you can "revise" for it more as such than the UCAT.

Yeah definitely an option, I wasn’t looking to apply to any BMAT unis before so hadn’t really thought about it. What would say my chances at liverpool would be? I didn’t get to sit my GCSE’s so just am stuck with what I got given but I could’ve definitely done better having sat them. Nevertheless, would 6 A*’s and 1 A put me in a competitive position along with my EPQ and work experience?
Reply 15
Hi I have got similar scores as you.I would be very grateful if you could please guide me which uni’s should I apply?
There’s also keele and Sunderland who rely on a roles and responsibilities form instead to invite to interview. Their ucat cutoff is 2280.@saraan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending