The Student Room Group

UCAS question

is it okay to apply to the same university three times consecutively?

so for example,
I made a new application last year for 2021 entry (so it's the second one). but due to personal reasons, I need to take another gap year, so another application. Is it okay to apply to the same university three times?
Original post by BrightBlueStar11
is it okay to apply to the same university three times consecutively?

so for example,
I made a new application last year for 2021 entry (so it's the second one). but due to personal reasons, I need to take another gap year, so another application. Is it okay to apply to the same university three times?

Yes. Universities don't hold grudges and are generally too busy to second-guess your reasons for multiple applications. If they spotted it, it might be queried in an interview, but the vast majority of courses don't have one.
I'd say it definitely depends on the University and whether or not you're applying for the same course 3 times (for example I know RVC limits you to two applications for the same course but allows you to apply to others).

Has your application this year been unsuccessful? Or were you offered a place that you weren't able to accept due to personal reasons? Because if it is the case that the University limits the number of applications you submit they might be able to make an exception if it were the case that they have a maximum number of applications.

I wish I could give you a concrete answer but it's usually very university or course-specific.
Original post by daniellamg
I'd say it definitely depends on the University and whether or not you're applying for the same course 3 times (for example I know RVC limits you to two applications for the same course but allows you to apply to others).

Has your application this year been unsuccessful? Or were you offered a place that you weren't able to accept due to personal reasons? Because if it is the case that the University limits the number of applications you submit they might be able to make an exception if it were the case that they have a maximum number of applications.

I wish I could give you a concrete answer but it's usually very university or course-specific.

I applied in 2019, but was unsuccessful.

So, I made a new application in 2020, and got an unconditional offer from a different course but within the same university. However, I need to take a gap year, and they do not offer defer which means I will need to make another new application. So, that would be three applications in a row.

In this case, will they be able to give the same type of offer?

Original post by Admit-One
Yes. Universities don't hold grudges and are generally too busy to second-guess your reasons for multiple applications. If they spotted it, it might be queried in an interview, but the vast majority of courses don't have one.

So, I made a new application in 2020, and got an unconditional offer from a different course but within the same university. However, I need to take a gap year, and they do not offer defer which means I will need to make another new application. So, that would be three applications in a row.

Ohhh right, yes in that case I think it should absolutely be possible :smile:

Unconditional offers are typically a recruitment/marketing tool, so it's very difficult to say whether you'd get that exact offer again. However, the fact that you were successful last time round means you are almost certainly likely to be treated like any other new applicant.

(I should probably have made clear before that if you had been rejected, you would need to find out why before deciding if a new application was worthwhile > but this doesn't apply in your case.)
so is it okay to apply to the same course where you received an unconditional offer right?
so is it okay to apply to the same course where you received an unconditional offer right?

Yes, absolutely fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending